5.1 on Sonos issue
Hi,
I have a sonos playbar 5.1 setup and thanks to helpful info at this site was able to find the correct settings to allow passthrough to output 5.1 sound regardless of audio source (5.1, dts, etc).
2 channel, allow passthrough, select ac3 cap receiver, transcoding. Worked great!

I just had to replace my android box with a different model and even though I'm using the exact same settings as with my old box, I am not getting any 5.1 sound. I've messed around with different settings... disabled passthrough and played a 5.1 stream and still only comes out as PCM audio.
I'm not sure why the same settings would work perfectly for one box and not the other...
If anyone can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it! I'm not that knowledgable with this stuff but excited to learn.

Thanks!!
(2021-10-21, 07:17)Zunah Wrote: I'm not sure why the same settings would work perfectly for one box and not the other...

Welcome to Android. Wink

Sonos never supported DTS. Only DD (incl. Atmos TrueHD) and LPCM works with Sonos.

My Sonos Arc, Sub and two Symfonisk Lamps work as expected with the Nvidia Shield.

Please share your Android audio and Kodi audio settings. Which device are you using now?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2021-10-21, 07:17)Zunah Wrote: Hi,
I have a sonos playbar 5.1 setup and thanks to helpful info at this site was able to find the correct settings to allow passthrough to output 5.1 sound regardless of audio source (5.1, dts, etc).
2 channel, allow passthrough, select ac3 cap receiver, transcoding. Worked great!

I just had to replace my android box with a different model and even though I'm using the exact same settings as with my old box, I am not getting any 5.1 sound. I've messed around with different settings... disabled passthrough and played a 5.1 stream and still only comes out as PCM audio.
I'm not sure why the same settings would work perfectly for one box and not the other...
If anyone can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it! I'm not that knowledgable with this stuff but excited to learn.

Thanks!!

Hi,

I can't thank you enough for posting this as I thought my DAC was faulty as the sound from KODI was flat and I thought I had tried every setting, I switched 'Pass Through' on and the sound came alive for me
Thanks for the reply!

I'll try to throw down as much info as I can:

Android box where audio is being passed through successfully and all streams are converted to DD AC3 5.1 on my Sonos Playbar + Surrounds + Sub:
NeonTek box - audio settings in main settings just kept as default
Kodi settings: 
Audio output device: AudioTrack (IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended)
# of channels: 2
Output config: Optimized
Volume control setup: 90
Stereo upmix: Unchecked
Keep audio device alive: 1 min 
Allow Passthrough: Checked
Passthrough output device: AudioTrack (IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended)
Dolby Digital Capable rec: Checked
Enable DD Transcoding: Checked
DTS cap receiver: Unchecked

With these settings no matter what stream I play the audio is converted to DD 5.1, sounds perfect, and my sonos app shows the sound as DD 5.1

My new andoid box is a WeChip
The main audio settings seems limited. I started by leaving them as default, then tinkered with various settings from the main menu (not the Kodi settings) and didn't get success. Audio settings in WeChip are:
Sound>Surround Sound:
Select Formats: Left at Automatic, also tried changing to Manual
Audio Output Mode: AUDIO_HDMI
Enable Passthrough: Tried this both checked and unchecked

Kodi settings are the same as above with the working box. One thing I've noticed that is slightly different in the settings is under Allow Passthrough there is one additional option that doesn't appear on my working box even though they are both running the same version of Kodi (19.1):
Under Enable Transcoding there's another option called Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver. I left this unchecked initially to match the settings on my working box, then also tried selecting it but still no 5.1.

When I play any audio stream I usually get no sound at all, then if I go into audio settings and uncheck Allow Passthrough, it will play sound but only PCM Stereo. Even playing a file with DD 5.1 AC3 it will not show as DD 5.1, always only PCM Stereo.

I assumed that since my settings would all be the same in Kodi this new box would perform the same as my other one, but clearly that's not the case. 

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 on Sonos issue0