Black screen on 19.2 (Nividia Shield TV)
Hello,

I have a strange problem with latest version of Kodi (19.2) on my NVidia Shield TV.
Since the automatic update from Play Store, I cannot launch Kodi... I first have the usual screen after an update (with the bottom loading bar), but then, I have a black screen and nothing happens.
I tried to first kill the app, reboot the Shield, empty cache, empty data, then finally reinstall the app, but nothing helps !
It seems it's not a problem with corrupted config files or library since reinstall Kodi didn't help either...
I didn't change anything (same TV, AVR, Shield,...), just the Kodi version 19.2...

Thanks a lot for any help !
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2021-10-22, 08:10)Klojum Wrote: To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum

Thanks for your answer.
Here is the log : https://paste.kodi.tv/igipedugim.kodi
I enabled debug in advancedsettings.xml since I cannot start Kodi GUI.
(2021-10-22, 08:48)Kilvearn Wrote: Here is the log

That ... is very little to work with. I upgraded my Shield a while ago and it works, and nothing compared to this.

Perhaps a bad spot on the Shield's internal storage module? Or do you install programs on an 'external' SDcard which may be faulty?
Are there lots of other programs installed on your Shield?
(2021-10-22, 09:42)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-10-22, 08:48)Kilvearn Wrote: Here is the log

That ... is very little to work with. I upgraded my Shield a while ago and it works, and nothing compared to this.

Perhaps a bad spot on the Shield's internal storage module? Or do you install programs on an 'external' SDcard which may be faulty?
Are there lots of other programs installed on your Shield?
Yes I find it very strange too... It worked without problem until then... I first thought it was a corrupted file, but even with a clean installation, the problem occurs... My Shield TV didn't have any update since some months, the only difference is Kodi's version... Maybe should I try to reinstall Kodi 19.1, if I can find the correct apk ?
No I didn't install programs on an external SD card.
I have maybe ~20 apps on my Shield TV, the other ones seem to work correctly...
(2021-10-22, 10:37)Kilvearn Wrote: if I can find the correct apk ?

Android releases are here : https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/
(2021-10-22, 10:49)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-10-22, 10:37)Kilvearn Wrote: if I can find the correct apk ?

Android releases are here : https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/
Thanks, I installed Kodi 19.1, but now, same black screen problem... I really don't understand what could have happened :-(
Even with a clean install... Is there maybe some other directories that I should manually clean ?
Cleaning out the default profile folder should ensure a clean installation;

So deleting the whole smb://<nvidiashieldurl>/internal/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/ folder should cure the situation.™
If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.
(2021-10-22, 12:45)Klojum Wrote: Cleaning out the default profile folder should ensure a clean installation;

So deleting the whole smb://<nvidiashieldurl>/internal/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/ folder should cure the situation.™
If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.
The whole directory was deleted, but unfortunately, it doesn't help... :'-( I think I tried everything I had in mind...
i'm on the same boat. turned on shield to watch a movie and kodi don't start. noticed it updated to 19.2. nowadays updates only breaks things. already stopped to update iphone and macbook. shield & kodi will be next one, once i fix it...

EDIT: cleared cache and now it works. this dont change the fact updates breaks things. when 19.0 was released, skin and many add-ons was gone forever and i had to setup everything from scratch...
How lucky that clearing the cache was enough for you.
I'm sad that I cannot use Kodi anymore, I really like this app, and was using it since Xbox times...
I now have to find an alternative... (that won't be as complete) :-(
(2021-10-25, 06:46)Kilvearn Wrote: How lucky that clearing the cache was enough for you.
I'm sad that I cannot use Kodi anymore, I really like this app, and was using it since Xbox times...
I now have to find an alternative... (that won't be as complete) :-(

dont update things, unless there are really useful bug fixes or new useful features. and check on forums if that update is "safe". i have countless devices that after an update works worse or have features removed. updates nowadays seems just beta testing for free betatesters (final users) and i've lost faith in them while, before, i always liked to have everything updated from day one. i can't imagine what will be in the future considering there are always more and more "items" that have an updatable software...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen on 19.2 (Nividia Shield TV)0