• 1(current)
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
This is a continuation of the work done by others in Win - Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback which is dedicated to release prior to v19. This thread deals with Kodi v19 and beyond.

The intention of this fork is to add full frame 3D stereoscopic video playback capabilities to Kodi using a patched version of ffmpeg (video decoding), IntelMFX (HW based video decoding) & DirectX11 (HW accelerated rendering). 
Upstream Kodi 3D playback is limited to Side-by-Side and Top-Bottom - both half resolution quality and this fork completes it by adding support for full-frame 3D. Due to 3rd party libraries usage (MFX) and patched ffmpeg integration, this fork will not be able to be merged to the upstream Kodi code. 

TODO - add additional info on the fork here

How to determine if your setup will be able to playback 3D stereoscopic using this fork:

This fork should work fine on most of Intel's 3rd to 5th gen PCs. Specific HW can be searched on the link noted above to see if it has been reported as working in the past. I use a Gen10 and Gen4 laptops with this fork and both show full 3D correctly. The test guideline is as follows (in that specific order): 
  1. You have a 3D capable LCD or projector - aka display device
  2. In Windows "Display settings" dialog, you can see a "3D display mode" checkbox or a binary state slider and clicking it cause your display device to enter/exit to 3D mode
    1. In case you have 3D capable display and dont see this checkbox, you might need to either replace the HDMI cable to a better one, update the display card drivers, or make sure you are in single display view (and not extended or duplicated) 
  3. Install this Kodi fork, download one of the 3D MKV example from Samples (wiki) and attempt play it in Kodi
    1. In case you see black image on both eyes or 2D image, you might need to lower the value of the MFX HW level under the Kodi player settings
    2. In case you only see black image only on one eye or one eye is skipping check if your GPU has a driver update
  4. If #1, #2, & #3 are passed - this is the fork you've been looking for

Releases:
  • v20 - build 2 - 23-Jan-2023
    • Changelog
      • Excatly like build #1 but the "newer version" issue notification is fixed
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
      • Starting Kodi when Windows is in 3D Display mode - breaks Kodi rendering
        • Workaround: Exit Kodi and disable 3D Display mode in the Windows Display Settings, after that restart Kodi
      • Kodi audio is broken after playing some media and audio recovers only after restarting Kodi
        • Workaround: In Kodi display setting disable "Windowed Fullscreen" mode and restart Kodi to recover - might also require setting some delay in the Kodi Display setting
      • Eyes are inverted on some PCs - while kodi should auto-recognize the eye order, sometimes the replacement will fail
        • Workaround: during play enter the video settings and enable the eye inversion
      • 3D Bluray disc menu view is broken - as it always have - mostly working
      • When playing a 3D movie as a mono or with 3D disabled, there might be slowness in command response (stop/play/pause/etc...)

• v20 - build 1 - 19-Jan-2023
    • Changelog
      • Resynced to v20
        • Encrypted 2D&3D Bluray discs specific titled play flawlessly by selection - tested with MakeMKV 1.17.1
      • Fixed indefinite eye sync issue which caused black screen on some movies 
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
        • Workaround: Exit Kodi and disable 3D Display mode in the Windows Display Settings, after that restart Kodi
      • Kodi audio is broken after playing some media and audio recovers only after restarting Kodi
        • Workaround: In Kodi display setting disable "Windowed Fullscreen" mode and restart Kodi to recover - might also require setting some delay in the Kodi Display setting
      • Eyes are inverted on some PCs - while kodi should auto-recognize the eye order, sometimes the replacement will fail
      • 3D Bluray disc menu view is broken - as it always have - mostly working
      • When playing a 3D movie as a mono or with 3D disabled, there might be slowness in command response (stop/play/pause/etc...)

• v19.4 - build 1 - 6-Mar-2022
    • Changelog
      • Resynced to v19.4
        • Encrypted 2D&3D Bluray discs specific titled play flawlessly by selection - tested with MakeMKV 1.15.4 & 1.16.7
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
      • 3D Bluray disc menu view is broken - as it always have

• v19.3 - build 4 - 3-Mar-2022
    • Changelog
      • [NEW] Update libbluray to v1.3.0 and libudfread to 1.1.2
        • Bluray menus only works with 2D bluray discs as it always have
        • Unencrypted 2D & 3D titles play flawlessly by selection
        • Encrypted 2D&3D Bluray discs specific titled play flawlessly by selection - tested with MakeMKV 1.15.4
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
      • 3D Bluray disc menu view is broken - as it always have

• v19.3 - build 3 - 11-Feb-2022
    • Changelog
      • [FIX] 3D rendering in full screen is not working properly on some PCs
      • [NEW] HSBS & HTAB can be auto converted to full resolution 3D frame packed data
        • Require enabling the Auto 3D Display flag in Kodi Display settings, exit Kodi settings dialog, re-enter the Kodi Display settings (required refresh) and select Hardware Based as preferred stereoscopic mode
        • Hardware Based will now always be visible when Auto 3D Display is enabled - in case HW does not support, it will revert to be the same as video or HTAB in case of frame packed MVC video  
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:

• v19.3 - build 2 - 22-Nov-2021
    • Changelog
      • Add a new setting under System->Display to auto control 3D Display mode on Windows - defaults to true
        • If you want to control the 3D Display mode manually as was done in the v18 releases, set it to false (pre-Windows 10 1803 build and below).
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
      • 3D rendering in full screen is not working properly on some PCs
        • Workaround: change the 3D stereoscopic preferred mode to Top-Bottom

• v19.3 - build 1 - 27-Oct-2021
    • Changelog
      • Code sync to Kodi v19.3 release
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:

• v19.2 - build 1 - 24-Oct-2021
    • Changelog:
      • Code sync to Kodi v19.2 release
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:

• v19.1 - build 1 - 3-Jun-2021
    • Changelog:
      • Code sync to Kodi v19.1 release
      • Auto-enable 3D mode at OS level
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:

• v19 - build 2 - 30-May-2021
    • Changelog:
      • Add MFX level setting - by default the MFX HW level is set to 20, this might be too high for some PC with older GPUs. If this value is set too high the decoding of the 3D content will fail and you will see the video in mono rather than in 3D stereoscopic. Another symptom is that when click on "o" during the 3D video play you will see that "MSDK MVC (HW)" is not listed as the Video Decoder which is required.
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
      • 3D view must be enabled manually at OS level prior to kodi start - done in Windows Display properties

• v19 - build 1 - 23-May-2021
    • Changelog:
      • Code sync to Kodi v19.0 release
      • Update MFX release
      • Re-wire Kodi's DXVA renderer interaction with the MFX parser
      • Downgrade libbluray
    • Download:
    • Known Issues:
      • Does not work on PCs with older GPUs - due to hardcoded MFX HW level
      • 3D rendering in full screen is not working properly on some PCs -
      • 3D view must be enabled manually at OS level prior to kodi start - done in Windows Display properties

TODO list:
  1. Keep up-to-date with Kodi's upstream releases - ONGOING
  2. Updated libbluray - to latest used by kodi - the required API for reading blurays or ISOs does not exist on the latest libbluray code - DONE
  3. Eye inversion not always working - most likely related to bug #1 - according to the logs Kodi identifies that the eyes should be flipped, attempt to flip them, but for some reason they are rendered out of order
  4. Fix bluray 3D menu view - mostly working
  5. Half resolution (htab/hsbs) fail play when auto upscale is active

Code: [/list]
RESERVED
Hi
Install and Test 19.2 :
Ok for me.
Many thanks
Windows 10 + MariaDB base + Matrix | Kodi Build for intel Kodi-Native 3D MVC Playback (as possible)
Skin Titan Mod | Link: Color themes for Titan Mod | Link: Littles mods
For Intel Nuc : Kit Mpc-HC/BE : Config External player with 3D and Pathrought
post #1 updated with v19.3
Yeah, top/bottom rendering does the trick at least on my Intel Nuc test system. Many thanks for figuring out the workaround and of course for the new version.
Since newer win 10 versions break 3d in kodi, I presume win 11 does the same too? Anyone tried?
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
have you tried to watch an entire film?

the reason i ask is i've used powerdvd to play 3D.ISO and discs directly on HTPC before and in my experience only geforce/radeon cards work best when playing full frame 3D.

whenever i've tried to use intel i get dropped frames on powerdvd.

i dunno if it's because it's Intel or just the sucky nature of powerdvd, no clue... just relaying my experience.
(2021-10-28, 04:47)ars92 Wrote: Since newer win 10 versions break 3d in kodi, I presume win 11 does the same too? Anyone tried?

I updated my 10th gen laptop today to win11. Worked fine with latest Intel GPU drivers.
Is anyone else missing 25 and 50hz refresh rates with the current build? (Could be my hardware but I cant select 25 or 50 in the resolution whitelist and hence 50hz content has bad movement)
50/25Hz is working fine here and i can whitelist both modes. Does your display support the PAL refresh rates?
(2021-11-09, 17:38)udobroemme Wrote: 50/25Hz is working fine here and i can whitelist both modes. Does your display support the PAL refresh rates?

Display definitely supports these refresh rates and it has worked previously. Must be something else in my setup, thanks for confirming it is not the 19.3 build.
Hi
50/25 Hz is working fine for me too.
Windows 10 + MariaDB base + Matrix | Kodi Build for intel Kodi-Native 3D MVC Playback (as possible)
Installed Windows 10 1903 and this version of Kodi on an Intel NUC NUC5CPYH. I enabled 3D stereoscopic playback in the settings, but every time I begin playing a 3D MVC video, a message pops up saying "3D Stereoscopic Disabled". Any ideas what the problem is?
Hello
There was a user manual for the configuration in the previous tread, page 1, 
but I can't find it anymore.

Hdmi 1.4
Check 3d inside windows configuration
and may be : 
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2302651
Thanks for replying! Made the suggested changes and was seeing the same behavior initially (Stereoscopic 3D Disabled). I'm not sure what I changed (might have been reducing the 3D hardware level to 0), but Kodi did start to switch my TV into FP mode (which it wasn't doing previously). But the good news stopped there. It detected the 3D mode as over/under. It's a MakeMKV rip. I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be interlaced? Oddly, the video controls replicated on the top and bottom, but the video itself did not. It remained full screen and 2D. Not sure if I'm explaining that clearly, but imagine the normal 2D video overlaid with duplicated video controls -- one in the middle of screen and the other on the bottom.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback0