• 18(current)
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
Posted in other thread but maybe this is better place

It’s been a bit since I last asked. My understanding is the setup should work if it is Intel and doesn’t do usb c video out. Is that correct? I know I had a 10th Gen i7 laptop that didn’t have usb c out that worked for 3d. Further does windows 11 work?
(2022-11-06, 17:47)robl45 Wrote: Posted in other thread but maybe this is better place

It’s been a bit since I last asked. My understanding is the setup should work if it is Intel and doesn’t do usb c video out. Is that correct? I know I had a 10th Gen i7 laptop that didn’t have usb c out that worked for 3d. Further does windows 11 work?

Not really. Before Intel 11th Gen there is no native HDMI 2.0 support. Any laptop/PC with integrated graphics which offers HDMI 2.0 output before Intel 11th Gen wont work with 3D, this is because they have to use an LSPCON chip to convert displayport to HDMI 2.0 which is incompatible with 3D. An HDMI 1.4 output is usually OK. In some cases a passive display port to HDMI adaptor also works fine.
So are you saying if its 11th gen or later it will work regardless?  My understanding on the older ones was if the USB C didn't output video it wasn't the LSPCON chip.  I also thought it didn't work at all with windows 11 but trying to figure things out.
(2022-11-06, 21:38)robl45 Wrote: So are you saying if its 11th gen or later it will work regardless?  My understanding on the older ones was if the USB C didn't output video it wasn't the LSPCON chip.  I also thought it didn't work at all with windows 11 but trying to figure things out.

11th Gen+ have native HDMI 2.0 support and AFAIK can do 4K/60 and 3D from the same HDMI output. Not sure about USBC. HDMI 1.4 outputs seem to have the highest sucess probability but maybe @damagedspline knows if 11th Gen+ with a native HDMI port generally works.
@Krobar @robl45

As stated here

Quote:Intel® Graphics does not support stereo 3D content from devices that implement HDMI 2.x outputs using an LSPCON chip when connected to HDMI 2.x displays. To play stereo 3D content you need to connect to an HDMI 1.4 display.

Unless the Intel NUC is using third-party graphics, all the HDMI ports, on Intel NUC Kits and Mini PCs 7th Generation through 11th generation are HDMI 2.0 or greater, and all use a LSPCON chip.

This only refer to Intel produced NUCs. I am using a mini PC from Gigabyte which has 2.0 & 3D but no HDR. Another downside - it's a celeron which struggle to decode the bluray disc's encryption on the fly.
(2022-11-07, 22:22)damagedspline Wrote: @Krobar @robl45

As stated here
Quote:Intel® Graphics does not support stereo 3D content from devices that implement HDMI 2.x outputs using an LSPCON chip when connected to HDMI 2.x displays. To play stereo 3D content you need to connect to an HDMI 1.4 display.

Unless the Intel NUC is using third-party graphics, all the HDMI ports, on Intel NUC Kits and Mini PCs 7th Generation through 11th generation are HDMI 2.0 or greater, and all use a LSPCON chip.

This only refer to Intel produced NUCs. I am using a mini PC from Gigabyte which has 2.0 & 3D but no HDR. Another downside - it's a celeron which struggle to decode the bluray disc's encryption on the fly.

Nobody else makes NUCs do they ?  It's an Intel brand ?

Does your MiniPC used an LSPCon for the HDMI 2.0 output or is it using an HDMI 2.0 output from the Intel CPU/GPU?  (That's where the confusion with NUCs partially comes from. Some NUCs have CPU/GPUs with native HDMI 2.0 output - but Intel have instead taken the DisplayPort output from the CPU/GPU and used an LSPCon to convert it to HDMI 2.0 - presumably because they inherited some design elements from previous generations of NUCs that didn't have HDMI 2.0-capable CPU/GPUs and were already based on DisplayPort to HDMI via LSPCon for generating HDMI 2.0 outputs)
(2022-11-07, 22:22)damagedspline Wrote: @Krobar @robl45

As stated here

Nobody else makes NUCs do they ?  It's an Intel brand ?

Does your MiniPC used an LSPCon for the HDMI 2.0 output or is it using an HDMI 2.0 output from the Intel CPU/GPU?  (That's where the confusion with NUCs partially comes from. Some NUCs have CPU/GPUs with native HDMI 2.0 output - but Intel have instead taken the DisplayPort output from the CPU/GPU and used an LSPCon to convert it to HDMI 2.0 - presumably because they inherited some design elements from previous generations of NUCs that didn't have HDMI 2.0-capable CPU/GPUs and were already based on DisplayPort to HDMI via LSPCon for generating HDMI 2.0 outputs)
My experience with a Supermicro X11SCA motherboard was also different. The HDMI 2.0 output which uses a Paradetech LSPCON would not output 3D at all even when connected to an HDMI 1.4 3DTV. A passive HDMI convertor connected to the display port which maxes out at HDMI 1.4 worked fine in 3D for both HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 displays although obviously was limited to HDMI 1.4 output resolutions.
So 12th gen should work fine for 3D?  I thought windows 11 didn't even do 3D.  I know for sure that my Asus laptop that I had for a week 10th gen I7 did 3D from the HDMI port.  It did not have display port capabilities through the USB-C.   I'm going to have to get one box for 3D and one for other things because Kodi can't make 3D and everything else work together.  Maybe could fiddle with external player again, but would rather go to the dentist.  My 3D box is struggling to play the 3D so want to upgrade to something.  Looked at the generic mini boxes on Amazon but not sure if those would work, suppose I could always return.  Laptop seems the easiest way to know if they don't output USB C video they should be good.
(2022-11-09, 15:09)robl45 Wrote: So 12th gen should work fine for 3D?  I thought windows 11 didn't even do 3D.  I know for sure that my Asus laptop that I had for a week 10th gen I7 did 3D from the HDMI port.  It did not have display port capabilities through the USB-C.   I'm going to have to get one box for 3D and one for other things because Kodi can't make 3D and everything else work together.  Maybe could fiddle with external player again, but would rather go to the dentist.  My 3D box is struggling to play the 3D so want to upgrade to something.  Looked at the generic mini boxes on Amazon but not sure if those would work, suppose I could always return.  Laptop seems the easiest way to know if they don't output USB C video they should be good.

Personally I had trouble with anything newer than Windows 10 / 1809 but just a few messages back it seems to be confirmed working on Windows 11 with the newest versions:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3115484

The Kodi 20 builds are definitely capable of both 3D & 4K/HDR10. My understanding is that 11th Gen or higher Intel with a native HDMI 2.0 port should be able to do both hardware 3D and 4K/60 but maybe @damagedspline can confirm.
I have a 20 build on my computer that I"m using, it doesn't seem to be doing 3D for me.  Can you confirm on this?  Would love to be able to use just one computer for everything.

EDIT: so I have a 12th gen laptop here with only USB-C output.  I can do usb-c to HDMI and 3D should work? and Kodi 20 should be able to play both?
The Kodi 20 builds in this thread are definitely capable of both 4K HDR & 3D. Hardware compatibility is always a bit of an educated guess; my understanding is that a USB-C HDMI output goes though Thunderbolt which means it is not a native HDMI port so probably wont work with 3D.
The builds in this thread appear to be 19.  I thought we were saying the new 20 common builds would work for 3D
(2022-11-09, 18:24)robl45 Wrote: The builds in this thread appear to be 19.  I thought we were saying the new 20 common builds would work for 3D
Not sure I understand.

V20 Alpha 3 3D build is here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3114750
So only the build you linked will do 3D, the main 20 nexus build says they put in a fix for 3D MVC.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback0