• 6(current)
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2022-01-13, 19:32)robl45 Wrote:  I'm currently looking at either a 1.4 board that will take a 9th gen to get as current as possible or 8th gen mini computers that don't have USB C out that hopefully will work. 

This is a sort of a semi server based motherboard but I use one of these and it works nicely with 3D:
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/m...d/X11SCA-F

The HDMI output has an LSPCON so does not work for 3D but does offer 4K/60. The Displayport output with a £5 passive HDMI converter does work nicely with 3D and offers a max of 4K/30 output.

This Supermicro offers alot of extra functionality you might not want to pay for so if looking for H310 motherboards that will likely work with 3D look for an HDMI 1.4 output with a max resolution of 4K @ 30hz, if it offers 4K @ 60hz it wont work for 3D. A quick check shows ASRock have a few Micro ATX H310 motherboards which should work fine and be quite cheap.
(2022-01-14, 05:01)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Are you trying to build a Kodi purpose machine or something that will do tons more and just want Kodi as well and to include MVC playback?

If it's a Kodi specific machine with little else use, why so determined to buy hardware that isn't compatible with MVC?

I’m trying to buy current hardware that will do mvc for my home theater. Apparently that is not easy. I have 6th Gen desktop but it struggles with 265 encodes and even with mvc. I’m thinking laptop at this point as it seems easy to try out and return and if it doesn’t have usbc out, most likely going to work
(2022-01-14, 13:29)robl45 Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 05:01)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Are you trying to build a Kodi purpose machine or something that will do tons more and just want Kodi as well and to include MVC playback?

If it's a Kodi specific machine with little else use, why so determined to buy hardware that isn't compatible with MVC?

I’m trying to buy current hardware that will do mvc for my home theater. Apparently that is not easy. I have 6th Gen desktop but it struggles with 265 encodes and even with mvc. I’m thinking laptop at this point as it seems easy to try out and return and if it doesn’t have usbc out, most likely going to work

A 6th gen processor shouldn't have issues with 265 or MVC. I'd look at your system for other culprits to your issues. I have and maintain 2 set-ups with 4th gen i5 and neither have any issues with the correct Windows version, Intel drivers and Kodi version. No issues that I haven't noted in this thread at least. It's been stated many times that newer/current Intel hardware won't support MVC properly. If this is a purpose build Kodi machine that you want to run MVC I'd suggest you stick with what is known to work. An inexpensive refurbished Dell Optiplex with an i5-4560 and 8GB RAM is more than plenty to run Kodi for all my needs, other than a few 3D bugs I'm still working out. 

If you are also trying to have 4K HDR playback, it's been noted before that won't really be possible with a MVC build.
(2022-01-14, 17:40)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 13:29)robl45 Wrote:

A 6th gen processor shouldn't have issues with 265 or MVC. I'd look at your system for other culprits to your issues. I have and maintain 2 set-ups with 4th gen i5 and neither have any issues with the correct Windows version, Intel drivers and Kodi version. No issues that I haven't noted in this thread at least. It's been stated many times that newer/current Intel hardware won't support MVC properly. If this is a purpose build Kodi machine that you want to run MVC I'd suggest you stick with what is known to work. An inexpensive refurbished Dell Optiplex with an i5-4560 and 8GB RAM is more than plenty to run Kodi for all my needs, other than a few 3D bugs I'm still working out. 

If you are also trying to have 4K HDR playback, it's been noted before that won't really be possible with a MVC build.
I have primarily been doing MVC through lav filters and Madvr and trust me, it struggles.  Same thing with X265.  I also would like to upgrade so that I could do 4K in the future.  So Ideally I like to find something that will work for both.
(2022-01-14, 17:48)robl45 Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 17:40)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 13:29)robl45 Wrote: I’m trying to buy current hardware that will do mvc for my home theater. Apparently that is not easy. I have 6th Gen desktop but it struggles with 265 encodes and even with mvc. I’m thinking laptop at this point as it seems easy to try out and return and if it doesn’t have usbc out, most likely going to work

I have primarily been doing MVC through lav filters and Madvr and trust me, it struggles.  Same thing with X265.  I also would like to upgrade so that I could do 4K in the future.  So Ideally I like to find something that will work for both.
What is your overall system spec? As noted above I run a pretty basic older system and it plays 3D, most of it anyways, just fine. It won't do 4K but so far from what I've read there's little chance to get both full MVC and full 4K in a single machine because of manufacturer's reasons. That sucks, and sadly 3D does also seem to be slipping away as well, but for now why not get something simple that works and then in the future look for something that does what you need at that time? Believe me, the worst thing about this entire hobby is the hours or time spent just trying to get things to work!
Hello

I have an I5-7300U HDMI 1.4b Thinkpaid T470s. I have it connected to an Optoma 1080p 3d projector (active shutter).

I am running Intel HD Graphics 620 30.0.101.1191 (December 2021) with the full install. 

I enable 3d output in Windows display settings.

I load Kodi and it flickers often on startup or switching between windows, but sometimes is ok (if you don't switch between tasks it won't flicker).

Apart from that it doesn't seem to be actually outputting 3d, just one eye even though it's set to 3d.

I tried  the third party program 'Stereoscopic Player' with the 'Intel Graphics' setting and it works perfectly. I'd be happy to use Stereoscopic Player, but it does not have subtitle support, so it's not great for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed?
(2022-01-14, 22:00)thelawnet Wrote: Apart from that it doesn't seem to be actually outputting 3d, just one eye even though it's set to 3d.

This is a known issue. I found the source of the issue and created a fix for it but did not released it yet as the fix has some side effects:
1) a 1pixel border is visible at the edge of the screen.
2) sometimes left and right eyes are out of sync which cause extreme headaches. I am working on this, as it is an incorrect frame drop in one of the eyes.
(2022-01-14, 21:44)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 17:48)robl45 Wrote:
(2022-01-14, 17:40)K0D1User1138 Wrote: A 6th gen processor shouldn't have issues with 265 or MVC. I'd look at your system for other culprits to your issues. I have and maintain 2 set-ups with 4th gen i5 and neither have any issues with the correct Windows version, Intel drivers and Kodi version. No issues that I haven't noted in this thread at least. It's been stated many times that newer/current Intel hardware won't support MVC properly. If this is a purpose build Kodi machine that you want to run MVC I'd suggest you stick with what is known to work. An inexpensive refurbished Dell Optiplex with an i5-4560 and 8GB RAM is more than plenty to run Kodi for all my needs, other than a few 3D bugs I'm still working out. 

What is your overall system spec? As noted above I run a pretty basic older system and it plays 3D, most of it anyways, just fine. It won't do 4K but so far from what I've read there's little chance to get both full MVC and full 4K in a single machine because of manufacturer's reasons. That sucks, and sadly 3D does also seem to be slipping away as well, but for now why not get something simple that works and then in the future look for something that does what you need at that time? Believe me, the worst thing about this entire hobby is the hours or time spent just trying to get things to work!

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8TSXCF?ref...b_ap_share produce both 4k and 3d but suffers by the rendering issue discussed by @thalawnet above. As i said, traced the issue, made a fix but not usable yet so didnt released it yet.
I don't know if this has been asked before but I'm thinking about going to a passive 3D setup using two projectors but I need the device to output the 3D frame packed signal into two seperate HDMI outputs on my PC, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Is there anyway to configure that through KODI or the PC settings?
(2022-01-15, 22:07)KrispyKreme Wrote: I don't know if this has been asked before but I'm thinking about going to a passive 3D setup using two projectors but I need the device to output the 3D frame packed signal into two seperate HDMI outputs on my PC, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Is there anyway to configure that through KODI or the PC settings?

Not possible with the current implementation, but its is doable. It would be best for you to look for HW 3D multiplexer to split the frame packed signal into 2 hdmi ports.
While i am investigating the SBS 3D issue i found out that it is actually possible to to upscale SBS & OU to full frame 3D. Its nice because the projector/tv doesn't need manual switch to 3d mode and mode selection. Sadly the SBS issue is not solved by that, so still under investigation.
Interestingly, the SBS issue does not reproduce on my laptop when disconnected from the projector...

@K0D1User1138 FYI
The SBS/OU upscale feature sounds very interesting. Does it make sense for you to implement it independent of fixing the SBS issue? I'd love to see my beamer switch to 3D automatically with all stereoscopic sources.
If this would raise your efforts too much, I'm still happy with what we've got. Thanks again for your tremendous contribution to keep 3D alive.
What process makes this upgrade possible? Are you reformatting the videos into a MVC file or is it something Kodi is doing? If I can make all my SBS vidoes into MVC then I won't need to care about SBS anymore.
Afaik a 3d framepacked image contains both views one above the other with a 45 pixels gap between them. This results to an image of 1920x2205 pixels. So if an sbs/ou video is rescaled by Kodi to this particular size with the 45 pixels gap, the display should auto switch to 3D.
See https://www.avsforum.com/threads/3d-form...m.1301544/
(2022-01-23, 15:30)udobroemme Wrote: The SBS/OU upscale feature sounds very interesting. Does it make sense for you to implement it independent of fixing the SBS issue? I'd love to see my beamer switch to 3D automatically with all stereoscopic sources.
If this would raise your efforts too much, I'm still happy with what we've got. Thanks again for your tremendous contribution to keep 3D alive.

Big Grin  feature is progressing well - there are a lot of edge scenarios, especially when switching between contents of different types (play/stop/etc..)....
Hope to provide new release next week.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback0