• 26(current)
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2023-03-17, 16:07)ecou2508 Wrote: @Dudeman:

i have a LG 55C6V and i'll do some tests this evening Kodi 20 MVC build and post results (i have many 3D MVC iso and many Full-TAB and Full-SBS mkv files).

until now, here is my config and what's working or not:

HTPC1 : i5-4590 , GTX1060 (not used for 3D), Win10 22H2
i'm able to play Full-TAB 3D mkv with the actual 20.1 standard built on the LG TV in full 3D 1080p Frame Packed (kodi hardware mode).
Full-SBS mkv with same kodi build in "hardware mode" works fine for a few min and then kodi crash (i have actually on thread on this problem in the forum).
I can play all my Full 3D MVC ISO files with MPC-HC/MadVR, HDMI output signal is full 3D 1080p Frame Packed mode.

HTPC2 : i7-10750h with Quadro T1000, latest nvidia drivers, win11 22H2 and kodi 20.1 std build
Exact same behaviour than with HTPC1 :-)
EDIT: Quadro T1000 on that laptop is a combined intel iGPU + Quadro T1000, intel drivers for iGPU has just been updated and Kodi doesn't crash anymore with Full-SBS, i'll do more testing tomorrow.

Flow :    HTPCx => TX-NR609 AVR => LG 55C6V or SONY VPL-HW65ES

So, your LG TV is the same generation as my E6.   When you output KODI to your TV, I assume on HTPC1 you have no choice but to select the nVidia output, but on the HTPC2, do you output the nVidia or the Intel?  Also, when playing MVC movies with KODI, does it trigger the TV's 3D mode automatically?  Or is MPC-HC w/MadVR the only one that does that?

I found the same situation on my systems, Cyberlink Power DVD can also play 3D ISOs and trigger the 3D mode, but PowerDVD can't play MVC MKVs in 3D.  KODI on the other hand, either crashes or automatically reverts from hardware mode to "software" meaning it will switch to Over/Under for MVC movies.
Just following-up if only for my own future self to reference, ran a few tests over the past week. Each time the 3D MVC movie played through. Today did a triple test, Captain America, Jurassic World and Star Trek Beyond. The first 2 played through no issues. Star Trek crashed after and hour 17 with the ol' faithful ActiveAE - large audio sync error.
Reposting this here as well just in case this is a fluke with this version which is the one I exclusively use.

Maybe someone can help me, I hope this is the right place to post.  My harmony remote currently is mapped that short press is media center pc ok and long press is media center ok.  When I'm on the main movie screen or the preview screen or whatever it is called where it is showing recently added movies etc.  If I hold the button down, it pops up information and other options, if I just press the button quick, it plays the movie.  I am trying to replicate this as the button is acting funky.  I programed another button with long press okay and all it does it just play the movie.  I programmed another one with right click as I thought that would be the right command and that works in the actual movie list but on the main screen when I hit the right click button, it jumps to another movie.  Does anyone know the correct mapping?
I'm not sure what Harmony remote you're using, or what software you use to remap the keys, but as far as I know, Harmony remotes basically emulate an MCE remote functionality in Windows, at least my Harmony 1100 does.  As such, when you're in the Videos or Movies menu, a short pres will start the movie, and a long press will bring up the contextual menu (same thing as pressing "C").

I use Advanced MCE Remote Mapper to re-assign key functions.
Yea I figured out that c does that menu and remapped the long press on the remote to c. It was ok for short and long press and that used to work fine
(2023-03-17, 23:39)Dudeman Wrote:
(2023-03-17, 16:07)ecou2508 Wrote: @Dudeman:

i have a LG 55C6V and i'll do some tests this evening Kodi 20 MVC build and post results (i have many 3D MVC iso and many Full-TAB and Full-SBS mkv files).

until now, here is my config and what's working or not:

HTPC1 : i5-4590 , GTX1060 (not used for 3D), Win10 22H2
i'm able to play Full-TAB 3D mkv with the actual 20.1 standard built on the LG TV in full 3D 1080p Frame Packed (kodi hardware mode).
Full-SBS mkv with same kodi build in "hardware mode" works fine for a few min and then kodi crash (i have actually on thread on this problem in the forum).
I can play all my Full 3D MVC ISO files with MPC-HC/MadVR, HDMI output signal is full 3D 1080p Frame Packed mode.

HTPC2 : i7-10750h with Quadro T1000, latest nvidia drivers, win11 22H2 and kodi 20.1 std build
Exact same behaviour than with HTPC1 :-)
EDIT: Quadro T1000 on that laptop is a combined intel iGPU + Quadro T1000, intel drivers for iGPU has just been updated and Kodi doesn't crash anymore with Full-SBS, i'll do more testing tomorrow.

Flow :    HTPCx => TX-NR609 AVR => LG 55C6V or SONY VPL-HW65ES

So, your LG TV is the same generation as my E6.   When you output KODI to your TV, I assume on HTPC1 you have no choice but to select the nVidia output, but on the HTPC2, do you output the nVidia or the Intel?  Also, when playing MVC movies with KODI, does it trigger the TV's 3D mode automatically?  Or is MPC-HC w/MadVR the only one that does that?

I found the same situation on my systems, Cyberlink Power DVD can also play 3D ISOs and trigger the 3D mode, but PowerDVD can't play MVC MKVs in 3D.  KODI on the other hand, either crashes or automatically reverts from hardware mode to "software" meaning it will switch to Over/Under for MVC movies.
"When you output KODI to your TV, I assume on HTPC1 you have no choice but to select the nVidia output.."   As i said before, the GTX1060 is NOT USED FOR 3D, that means the output for 3D is of course the iGPU and not the GTX ;-)

"but on the HTPC2, do you output the nVidia or the Intel?"  it's a laptop Lenovo P17: combined iGPU+Quadro T1000. And i use the Quadro for kodi and MPC-HC, but as it's a "combined iGPU+discrete graphic GPU", the update of the Intel drivers has changed something... and now kodi doen't crash anymore. I don't know why.

"Also, when playing MVC movies with KODI, does it trigger the TV's 3D mode automatically?" If the windows Desktop is already in 3D : Yes, strangely, Kodi switches 3D off and On again... Don't ask me why (it seems that kodi menus switch 3D mode off and then back on when starting the movie); If the windows Desktop has 3D set to OFF before starting Kodi, Kodi is NOT able to switch the LG TV to 3D Hardware (Frame packed mode).

I did not test kodi with MVC mkv files. I mount iso files and play them as unencrypted blurays, or play full-SBS / full-TAB x265 mkv (the 3d iso files i have converted to x265 mkv with BD3D2MK3D)

I found today that on my old desktop (htpc1 i5-4590), when Kodi crashed, it's looks like it's because iGPU intel HD4600 has reached 100% usage... Strangely it doesn't crash with full-TAB but i still have to check iGPU usage and check if it reaches 100%...

i'll check cpu and GPU usage for each case: playing MVC ISO, Full-SBS, Full-TAB with Kodi and also with MPC-HC and report results.
For those struggling with the black right eye issue, I am working on a special build which does not use Intel's MFX which MIGHT solve this issue, also it should work on AMD/NVIDIA GPUs which support frame packed output.
This special build will support HSBS, HTAB, 3D MVC mkv files BUT will not support 3D MVC ISO files. 

ETA is 2-3 weeks...
(2023-03-22, 06:09)damagedspline Wrote: For those struggling with the black right eye issue, I am working on a special build which does not use Intel's MFX which MIGHT solve this issue, also it should work on AMD/NVIDIA GPUs which support frame packed output.
This special build will support HSBS, HTAB, 3D MVC mkv files BUT will not support 3D MVC ISO files. 

ETA is 2-3 weeks...
Thanks ! i'll give it a try as soon as it's available :-)

And....Full-SBS...Full-TAB ?
(2023-03-22, 01:32)ecou2508 Wrote: "Also, when playing MVC movies with KODI, does it trigger the TV's 3D mode automatically?" If the windows Desktop is already in 3D : Yes, strangely, Kodi switches 3D off and On again... Don't ask me why (it seems that kodi menus switch 3D mode off and then back on when starting the movie); If the windows Desktop has 3D set to OFF before starting Kodi, Kodi is NOT able to switch the LG TV to 3D Hardware (Frame packed mode).

Glad it works for you, but it doesn't do any of that for me.  It doesn't matter if the desktop is in 3D mode or not, it just doesn't trigger proper 3D modes on the LG.  The only thing that can trigger my LG 3D mode is PowerDVD
So based on the NUC faq I saw from Intel, it said that NUC's through 11th gen will not work for MVC 3D because they use lspcon.  Its not clear if they are not referencing later gen because the FAQ was too early but I'm assuming 12th gen of whatever should work.  I just got my wife a cheap laptop with 11th gen i3 that I"m pretty sure would work for 3D, but its hdmi 1.4B out which I understand is not going to be very good for 3D.  I can get an I5 12th gen laptop with HDMI 2.0  Does anyone know if this will work for 3D?  Then I could use for both and the laptop is easy to shove in a cabinet.  

It makes it easy to get this done since the wife wants a laptop, but she will end up not using it or whatever and I can just give her my desktop computer so win for everyone.
(2023-03-23, 13:05)Dudeman Wrote:
(2023-03-22, 01:32)ecou2508 Wrote: "Also, when playing MVC movies with KODI, does it trigger the TV's 3D mode automatically?" If the windows Desktop is already in 3D : Yes, strangely, Kodi switches 3D off and On again... Don't ask me why (it seems that kodi menus switch 3D mode off and then back on when starting the movie); If the windows Desktop has 3D set to OFF before starting Kodi, Kodi is NOT able to switch the LG TV to 3D Hardware (Frame packed mode).

Glad it works for you, but it doesn't do any of that for me.  It doesn't matter if the desktop is in 3D mode or not, it just doesn't trigger proper 3D modes on the LG.  The only thing that can trigger my LG 3D mode is PowerDVD
What are the version of everything you use in your config ? i just know your LG is the E6 model.
CPU model ? intel iGPU used or discrete GPU ? Windows version 21H.. 22H... ? Drivers version for the gpu ?

Anyway, with a LG C6 or E6, you really don't need to output in 3D frame packed, KODI and MPC/MadVR output 3D perfectly in Full-SBS or Full-TAB mode, the E6 should accept 3D SBS 3840x1080 and 3D TAB 1920x2160.... my C6 is doing it !
So KODI MVC version read with no problem a 3D MVC encodded file and render it to the LG in full-TAB/SBS.

In my case, i just need 1080p frame packed standard mode for my SONY 3D projector NOT for the LG TV even i have used it in this mode for testing purpose.  With the Sony, i only get HALF-res with SBS or TAB 1080p output (H-SBS and H-TAB), So frame packed is the only way to get Full 1080p res for each eye.
(2023-03-24, 15:13)robl45 Wrote: So based on the NUC faq I saw from Intel, it said that NUC's through 11th gen will not work for MVC 3D because they use lspcon.  Its not clear if they are not referencing later gen because the FAQ was too early but I'm assuming 12th gen of whatever should work.  I just got my wife a cheap laptop with 11th gen i3 that I"m pretty sure would work for 3D, but its hdmi 1.4B out which I understand is not going to be very good for 3D.  I can get an I5 12th gen laptop with HDMI 2.0  Does anyone know if this will work for 3D?  Then I could use for both and the laptop is easy to shove in a cabinet.  

It makes it easy to get this done since the wife wants a laptop, but she will end up not using it or whatever and I can just give her my desktop computer so win for everyone.
i can't help, can only talk about the configs i own: i5-4590 win10 22H2 and i7-10750h+Quadro T1000, win11 22h2
So spent some time tonight trying to research 12th gen intel to see if it might work and came across the Vero 4K+ and Zidoo boxes that supposedly do 4K and 3D MVC.  Before I run out and buy one of these and put my frustration to rest, Serious question, why would anyone be mucking around with HTPC to get 3D to work when these solutions seem to do that and a lot more?
One very important thing i just tested to confirm it's not rumor:
I have read within a few post here and there, there is a HDMI 3D identification problem with some HDMI 2.x systems that won't tell each other that they are 3D 1080p Frame packed capable ! ! !
1) Connecting my PC directly to my LG C6V TV (i mean HDMI 2 to HDMI 2) completely broke 3D !!! There is not anymore the 3D option in windows 10 desktop settings !
2) Reconnecting my PC to my AVR onkyo TX-NR609 (HDMI 1.4) and the Onkyo to the LG TV :  3D option is back and working fine ! ! !

So from the experience here above, this looks true and this is a critical information ;-)
Probably, this is depending of the chip that handle HDMI 2.x on the renderer (TV, projector,..), so everyone may get different results !
(2023-03-25, 16:57)ecou2508 Wrote:
(2023-03-23, 13:05)Dudeman Wrote:

What are the version of everything you use in your config ? i just know your LG is the E6 model.
CPU model ? intel iGPU used or discrete GPU ? Windows version 21H.. 22H... ? Drivers version for the gpu ?

Anyway, with a LG C6 or E6, you really don't need to output in 3D frame packed, KODI and MPC/MadVR output 3D perfectly in Full-SBS or Full-TAB mode, the E6 should accept 3D SBS 3840x1080 and 3D TAB 1920x2160.... my C6 is doing it !
So KODI MVC version read with no problem a 3D MVC encodded file and render it to the LG in full-TAB/SBS.

In my case, i just need 1080p frame packed standard mode for my SONY 3D projector NOT for the LG TV even i have used it in this mode for testing purpose.  With the Sony, i only get HALF-res with SBS or TAB 1080p output (H-SBS and H-TAB), So frame packed is the only way to get Full 1080p res for each eye.
OK, I guess, you didn't see my earlier posts.  I have  tried multiple configurations, but my main 2 configurations are here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3144331

Based on the description above, it sounds like your C6 does pretty much what my E6 does.  It doesn't really play in 3D packed mode, which is what MVC video is, KODI can't turn on the 3D mode automatically, so it falls back on Over/Under rendering.  But that is KODI.  Does your LG automatically recognize the 3D content and switch to that mode, or do you have to push the 3D button and select the mode?  What about when you play regular H-SBS or H-TAB  videos?  I know that KODI will immediately go into that mode for itself, but what about the TV, does it switch into that mode too?

FWIW, when I connect my NUC8 (Core i3-8109) to my LG, the 3D function in the Windows settings is there.  But if I enable it, it forces the TV to 1920x1080 (there's an option in the resolution drop down menu called 1920x1080 3D mode.  And yes, I can play all these formats (SBS, H-SBS, TAB, H-TAB, etc) in full 4K, but that wasn't the point to start with. 

The point was can KODI trigger the TV's 3D mode functionality automatically,  the same way it does for a BluRay player?  In my case, the answer is no, not on the LG. 

If I use the 8th Gen NUC, it can't do it period, It plays all the formats.  If I use the 6th Gen NUC, KODI crashes if I enable hardware mode, but on the other hand, MPC-HC + MadVR works fine, and PowerDVD works fine (with mounted 3D ISOs).

On my Vizio 3D TV, everything I want it to do, it does, both the 6th Gen, and the 8th Gen NUCs.  Playing ANY type of 3D media, will trigger the TVs 3D mode automatically, and selects the correct mode (MVC Frame packed, H-SBS, H-TAB, etc).  I never have to reach for the 3D button,
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win][v19+] Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback0