Req Artist Name customisation within GUI
Per this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363833

Ability to select this system, and for its eventual output to comply with selected track naming template under settings/media/music.
Hmmm. Title should be 'Artist Name customisation', not the mispelt rubbish I have there now, but I cannot change it.
(2021-12-02, 09:39)1a2b3c4d Wrote: but I cannot change it.

You should have edit powers by now.
I already changed it earlier.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks. Is there any chance of seeing this in 20.x?
(2021-12-16, 09:50)1a2b3c4d Wrote: Thanks. Is there any chance of seeing this in 20.x?

If you mean as settings in core, I very much doubt it.  Core supplies as much info as possible to a skin, which then decides what and how to display it.  Some skins are quite minimal and don't display half of the info that is available, but that is down to the skin author.  Core still has to supply all that info for those skins that do show it.

Dropping bits of info (even though I agree with you that it's pretty pointless to display it) is therefore not something I think core will be doing, so it's really down to implementing it in a skin - either by persuading a skin author that it's a good idea to offer the option, or figuring out how to do it yourself.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it makes sense.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
IMO this is a skin feature, and should be handled as a skin setting rather than a core setting.  Then it is entirely up to the skin author to provide and support.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I am interested in understanding the relationship between Core and skinners in the default distribution. Can anyone educate me?

From what I read, the feature request sounds like a skin feature but it also sounds like Core is automatically able to pass the buck. A default skin is selected for mass distribution. That skin is Estuary at the moment. By passing off the decision to include or not include to (only) the skinners it allows Core to simply say 'not our problem - piss off'. Yet, the default skin is what defines Kodi to the world. By ignoring what is provided in the default skin Core essentially says 'we don't care what is provided - leave us alone'.

That's poor control over the entire program and a very poor example to the world.

So, do I read the relationship incorrectly? Is the feature request osimply a case of implementation only by Estuary skinners? Yet, if Program changes default skin those (potentially implemented) features are lost on public release using a different skin? Thus, confusing and annoying anyone relying on the distribution for their needs.

Sorry if this ventures into internal Kodi politics. If your potential answer would expose you to internal political repercussions just state "too political" as your response.
I don't think I quite follow your thinking there.  Core provides every infolabel listed at https://kodi.wiki/view/InfoLabels (obviously depending upon the view and context of the data required).  The skin then chooses whether or not to display that info, and how to display it.  Depending upon the item to be displayed (film, tv show, album, artist, song, picture etc), core sets all the labels it knows about.  It's then up to each individual skin as to how to use those labels.

With what you originally asked about, which was not displaying the song artist if it matches the album artist, is a skin thing.  Core will still fill those labels regardless and then the skin chooses how and if to display them. Its job is to supply as much info as it has for any given item, then it's up to the skin what it does with that.

If an option were to be added so that ListItem.Artist was not set if it matched ListItem.AlbumArtist then core would not be supplying all the info available and IMO that would be a retrograde step. In short, it is not up to core to pick and choose what information is displayed, that is entirely down to the skin in use.

Make a feature request by all means, but this should be directed at whichever skin you wish to see it implemented in.

I hope that makes things clearer.
I see. It is an automatic 'pass the buck'. That's OK. Community driven projects (that fail miserably) are similar. Please take a moment when reading feature requests to immediately recognise when it is 'core' or 'skin' and communicate that to the requestor so they can direct their request to the appropriate coders.

Estuary currently is the default skin. That immediately makes it 'core', but continuing that discussion would be digression...
I think that what @1a2b3c4d asks is to have this change made in the default Estuary skin…
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2022-02-08, 09:32)1a2b3c4d Wrote: Estuary currently is the default skin. That immediately makes it 'core'

No, that makes it a skin.  Just because it is the default skin doesn't mean you can't make feature requests for it.

Perhaps there is some confusion, and it may well be my fault, as to core and skin.  By core, I mean the part of Kodi that obtains information from files, stores it in various db's and then retrieves it for display / plays a file.  The skin, default or otherwise, then decides which parts of that information to display.   EG, Estuary does not show the discart when playing a track, but the information is still provided.  The authors have decided not to use that though.

Estuary is the default skin that is bundled with Kodi, but it is responsible for showing (or not) any relevant information.  FWIW, I think your request is a very reasonable one and should be made in the Estuary feature request thread
Well personaly I think this is something to be left to the user editting the skin themselves. We can't add skin settings and the ccode to support it for every user that wants to display things in a slightly different way, or we'd end up with hundreds of them and lots of code bloat.
(2022-02-08, 16:11)jjd-uk Wrote: Well personaly I think this is something to be left to the user editting the skin themselves. We can't add skin settings and the ccode to support it for every user that wants to display things in a slightly different way, or we'd end up with hundreds of them and lots of code bloat.

Yes, I agree with you. It's earlier nice with his consent
(2022-02-08, 16:11)jjd-uk Wrote: Well personaly I think this is something to be left to the user editting the skin themselves. We can't add skin settings and the ccode to support it for every user that wants to display things in a slightly different way, or we'd end up with hundreds of them and lots of code bloat.

I completely disagree. It's a change to allow users to display information according to some pretty simple parameters. Once it is in the code I fail to see how it is going to cause problems. They use it or they do not. Trying to bundle it into a code bloat argument is somewhat counterintuitive. The primary concept is to evolve the code to provide more features, not argue against features on the basis of code bloat.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist Name customisation within GUI0