Cheapest device that can do ACES Filmic HDR>SDR tonemapping?
(2022-09-09, 11:31)looun Wrote: The only way for have "Cheapest" tonemapping is  Low Latency Dolby Vision DTM with device like apple tv /firestick with dolby vision force ouput + HDFury Vertex/Dr HDMI 4k
https://www.avforums.com/threads/dolby-v...s.2254350/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-v...s.3097934/

Isn't this a solution for getting HDR10 displays to more effectively use the LLDV DTM to drive a non-DV display in HDR10 mode (I think it effectively sends dynamic HDR10 metadata in the fields that are usually static 'per movie' fields in regular HDR10?) to allow more effective HDR tone mapping (where a DV signal is tone mapped to the capabilities of the HDR display)

The OP is asking about HDR->SDR tonemapping for replay of HDR10 content on an SDR display I think.  I don't think the DV + HD Fury solution does this?
(2022-09-14, 12:44)noggin Wrote: Isn't this a solution for getting HDR10 displays to more effectively use the LLDV DTM to drive a non-DV display in HDR10 mode (I think it effectively sends dynamic HDR10 metadata in the fields that are usually static 'per movie' fields in regular HDR10?) to allow more effective HDR tone mapping (where a DV signal is tone mapped to the capabilities of the HDR display)

The OP is asking about HDR->SDR tonemapping for replay of HDR10 content on an SDR display I think.  I don't think the DV + HD Fury solution does this?

Correct. The HD Fury tricks a player device that can handle DV into thinking it's feeding a DV display. The output is LLDV that is the same as HDR10 but tailored to the display capabilities. That setup therefore does DV->HDR10 conversion and may add some DV fairy dust to HDR10 and HDR10+ played to a HDR display but it's not designed to output SDR.
So I see Raspberry Pi 5 has hardware Open GLES support, will this finally allow smooth playback of 4k video using the ACE Filmic, Hables, etc tonemappers in Kodi?
(2023-12-15, 14:55)jubilex Wrote: So I see Raspberry Pi 5 has hardware Open GLES support, will this finally allow smooth playback of 4k video using the ACE Filmic, Hables, etc tonemappers in Kodi?

Perhaps @popcornmix knows.
It wouldn't surprise me if it couldn't do 4k60. The GPU can't use the texture format of the video decoder, so it would need a conversion first. And the shader is still very expensive.

And I'm not sure if we even have a rendering path for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest device that can do ACES Filmic HDR>SDR tonemapping?0