Linux NO integrated web browser; How to workaround ?
HI,
So far I run LibreElec on a RPi2 and a TV LG 55UF860V. I want to upgrade to get video/audio improvement and get a web browser as my TV firmware is crap.
I have in mind to buy an Odroid N2+.
I know there is no integrated web browser see here and here and nothing planned in Kodi.
How do you manage to workaround this limitation?
As I never used Kodi only, I don't know if in a new box, it is possible to install Linux, boot directly to KODI full window (the same way in LibreElec) to play media and when I want to use the browser start it in a new full window?
If YES, is it a good option, speed, reliability.
Is there another better way?
If this is a good way;
- What Linux flavor is usually used?
- What should be a good size for my use-case for the partition (eMMC: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB)?
Thank you
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
LibreELEC has a Chrome browser addon which, while far from perfect, does the job. Specifically, you exit Kodi and you open a new windows running Chrome. (To go back to Kodi, ALT-TAB. It is not a new session like switching to a new console in Linux command line but a new window managed by fluxbox --- except you don't see fluxbox nor any window. (BTW OpenELEC/LibreELEC has had a long experience with providing am adjunct browser to its JEOS implementation of Kodi. The best was Opera 12.x --- the old, Presto-driven Opera.)

If you ask me all this is half measures and the holistic approach would be to leverage LibreELEC's frugal and stable Linux system not just to boot into Kodi but into fluxbox with some utilities (terminal, file manager, editor) and just three apps: (1) Kodi (2) Chrome/ium (or better Brave or Vivaldi) and (3) VLC. This would be the ultimate lightweight Media Center.

If you want to raise the stakes include the best machine to run Android apps inside Linux.
Thread moved to Linux support
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NO integrated web browser; How to workaround ?0