Release Support thread for Autostop addon
This thread is for supporting the new Autostop service addon.   It is now in the Kodi repository and can be downloaded directly or installed via the Kodi GUI.  

Description:

An addon for Kodi (XBMC) which monitors video and music playback. It allows users to selectively stop paused playback or stop current playback after a certain amount of time.

Main Features:
  • Kodi 19+ compatible.
  • Autostop paused playback setting from 0 - 60 minutes in 5 minute intervals.
  • Autostop current playback setting from 0 - 120 minutes in 10 to 30 minute intervals.
  • Automatically engage Kodi screensaver when stopping paused or current playback.
  • Ability to change sleep timer by calling addon from favourites or keyboard.xml (see Readme)

Please see the service.autostop Wiki for more information.

Please feel free to report any issues or feature requests.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
This addon is quite heavily used here, works quite well, although i find that sometimes after setting a timer (through favorites) to say 30 minutes the current playing video ends immediately. I have set the screensaver to kick in and when this happens, theres a toast msg mentioning the timer has stopped the current playing program when screensaver ends on user action. It seems that sometimes the timer takes the initial value in settings.xml (0) as the countdown status...
(2021-11-20, 11:54)Atreyu Wrote: This addon is quite heavily used here, works quite well, although i find that sometimes after setting a timer (through favorites) to say 30 minutes the current playing video ends immediately. I have set the screensaver to kick in and when this happens, theres a toast msg mentioning the timer has stopped the current playing program when screensaver ends on user action. It seems that sometimes the timer takes the initial value in settings.xml (0) as the countdown status...

I don't see anything in the code which would cause this but I have had times, due to the 5 second notification display, where I click too many times and it goes past where I want it.  If you look in the Kodi logs when this happens you'll see what the last settings value was like this:

2021-11-21 07:02:50.704 T:35300    INFO <general>: Autostop sleep timer set to: 10 mins.

If you want to post a set of logs to PasteBin when this happens again I can look and see what happened. 

One thought I had is that instead of incrementing the timer values each time you hit the favorites I could bring up a dialog box where you could select the value instead or maybe even add a setting where you can choose the behavior (i.e. increment or dialog box)

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
I will keep a watchfull eye on it and collect some data when it might occur again.

:edit:  After some more testing, i think the ''immediate-stop action" might indeed have been caused by the overshooting thing, where time gets bumped from 120 min to 0 min unnoticed.
Version 1.0.1 was added to the Kodi repository via pull request PR 2169 .  This version has the following bug fix:

-  Fixed exception bug which could occur if Kodi stopped
   playing a file at exactly the same time the addon
   attempted to stop playback.

Thanks,

Jeff
Very nice, thanks 👍
There has been a request for an enhancement via a new GitHub issue.  Based upon this, I am proposing 3 potential enhancements but would like some feedback:

1. Extend the maximum sleep timer up to 180 minutes
  2. Add a progress notification box to let you know when you are nearing the sleep timer value which will stop playback. I can add a user setting of 0, 30 and 60 seconds or more. 0 means no notification. The other options would be prior to stopping playback. One question here is I presume you'd want to be able to click a button in the progress notification to extend the sleep timer ? If so how long ?  I can make a setting for that like 15, 30, 60 minutes ?
  3. Add an option for better handling paused playback during the sleep timer. I am thinking of a setting which has three options. First, do nothing when paused and the sleep timer is just fixed to what you set (unless #2 above happens). Second, stop the sleep timer when playback is paused. This is what I described above. If you pause playback for say 10 minutes during the sleep timer period the sleep timer will be extended by 10 minutes. Third is reset the sleep time counter back to zero once playback resumes. So if the sleep timer is set for 30 minutes and you pause playback during that period, once you restart playback the timer resets back to 30 minutes.

Let me know what you think of these three enhancements. It would take me a couple of days to have a test release with all of them.

Jeff
A test version of the addon with the requested features has been posted here.    The new features are:

• Extended sleep timer settings to 180 minutes
  • Added pause sleep timer adjust option to select what
    to do with the sleep timer when playback is paused.
               None - Do nothing and sleep counter continues
               Pause - Pause sleep timer
               Reset - Reset sleep timer to beginning
  • Added 0 -180 secs adjustable GUI sleep timer notification
    feature with adjustable sleep timer extension.
  • Added event logging option to aid troubleshooting 

I've done a moderate amount of testing on the new features but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff
I have installed the test version, thanks for the additions.

- Extending max time to 180 i think will combat streams being stopped before most movies / series end
  Downside imho is that cycling through it will become less convenient. I hope the next request for 240 -280 -680 mins will be denied or made optional tbh
- Pause sleep timer adjust. Nice addition! (although personally i don't encounter pause situations often Wink )
- Sleep Timer notification. i LOVE it. That was used in the previous addon i used. Saves 'unexpected' stops after which you have to resume play again

Will feedback experiences with 1.02!

:edit   Did some basic testing, particularly with the sleeptimer notification.
          As it is now, you can select 'cancel' to have a pre-defined amount of time added after set time elapsed. Although this works fine, i wonder if it would be possible to have a added button during notification that will give the option to add batches of 5/10 minutes of time on the fly.
          For instance the other addon i used had (two) button(s), +10 and -10 that could be pressed repeatedly to add or take away 10 minutes per press. Don't know how doable this would be (mostly adding time, did not ever use to -10 option). In any case it is an improvement already as it is now.
(2022-01-18, 16:44)Atreyu Wrote: I have installed the test version, thanks for the additions.

- Extending max time to 180 i think will combat streams being stopped before most movies / series end
  Downside imho is that cycling through it will become less convenient. I hope the next request for 240 -280 -680 mins will be denied or made optional tbh
- Pause sleep timer adjust. Nice addition! (although personally i don't encounter pause situations often Wink )
- Sleep Timer notification. i LOVE it. That was used in the previous addon i used. Saves 'unexpected' stops after which you have to resume play again

Will feedback experiences with 1.02!

:edit   Did some basic testing, particularly with the sleeptimer notification.
          As it is now, you can select 'cancel' to have a pre-defined amount of time added after set time elapsed. Although this works fine, i wonder if it would be possible to have a added button during notification that will give the option to add batches of 5/10 minutes of time on the fly.
          For instance the other addon i used had (two) button(s), +10 and -10 that could be pressed repeatedly to add or take away 10 minutes per press. Don't know how doable this would be (mostly adding time, did not ever use to -10 option). In any case it is an improvement already as it is now.

Thanks for the feedback.  Let me give this some thought.  The progress window can't be changed to add a button other than cancel.  That is a Kogi builtin construct.  I could have cancel call another dialog box which would allow you to select how much time to extend and that dialog box would be a list you would click on whatever value you want.  That would be easy to do.  I'd need to modify the code to truly change the end timer vs. the current play timer.  Let me see how much work is involved on that or letting it wait till v1.0.3 . 

Jeff
Maybe postpone further exploration then. I'd say if there's more work involved first get these changes through/tested and go from there Wink

Current additions are very nice indeed, and thanks for doing this.

Regards, A.
(2022-01-18, 18:48)Atreyu Wrote: Maybe postpone further exploration then. I'd say if there's more work involved first get these changes through/tested and go from there Wink

Current additions are very nice indeed, and thanks for doing this.

Regards, A.

Actually thank you for the suggestion.  I figured out an easy way to accomplish what you asked and it fixed a problem I had previously where the extension time was only the amount of played time if the played time was less than the extension time.  Now the extension times are correct regardless of the play times.  Under the extension time setting there is an option now called variable.  If you set it to variable when you hit cancel on the progress bar it will bring up a dialog box so you can select the amount of time to extend the sleep timer.  I've set the current selection options from 10-90 minutes.

You can try the latest version 1.0.2d test release here.

Thanks,

Jeff
Installed and tested the latest version with added selection through the 'variable' setting. I think its the next best thing as an alternative to a button that adds X minutes with each press! 
Works well too, so far Smile
(2022-01-19, 17:33)Atreyu Wrote: Installed and tested the latest version with added selection through the 'variable' setting. I think its the next best thing as an alternative to a button that adds X minutes with each press! 
Works well too, so far Smile

Thanks for the feedback.  One thing to note is that if you cancel out of the window which gives you the variable extension times to choose from it will add 5 minutes.  I couldn't make it 0 because that would have created a looping condition and brought the progress window back up again.  This way if you cancel out of the window you have 5 minutes to decide what you want to do before the notification reappears (i.e. stop, pause etc..).

Jeff
Yeah, that works.
I'll use the latest version and report if and when I encounter anything out of the ordinary...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support thread for Autostop addon0