This old hack needs some help
I need some help. I posted recently in "Discussions" https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3070709  and was directed here.

I know nothing about these Fire TV type devices or their capabilities but what I need is a device that I can plug into the USB of my TV that will allow me to view my library of music and movies from my NAS wirelessly. I dont stream movies, I dont have Netflix, so I dont require KODI for these reasons.
I have used KODI on an HTPC and am familiar with it.  So Id like a device that can install KODI which will allow KODI to access my NAS via SMB (i think thats what its called....Im old). This is how the HTPC was set up except that it was setup via an ethernet cable and I need this to be completely wireless. I dont have any way to connect this device to the internet other than wirelessly, in fact, everything in the house is wireless. The house too is old and this is the only option. 

So, which device should I buy? 

And what does "sideload" mean?

Thanks.
Problem with powering a device via the TV's USB is that it may not provide enough juice, and often when you turn the TV off, it also cuts off power to the device. Don't you have an available wall plug or multi-plug near your TV?

For device, you can use a Fire TV device, but as Kodi isn't available in the Amazon app store, you need to sideload it. Here's one way.

If you don't want to bother with sideloading, you can get an Android TV device. Chromecast with Google TV is a solid option.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2021-11-14, 01:02)hdmkv Wrote: Problem with powering a device via the TV's USB is that it may not provide enough juice, and often when you turn the TV off, it also cuts off power to the device. Don't you have an available wall plug or multi-plug near your TV?

For device, you can use a Fire TV device, but as Kodi isn't available in the Amazon app store, you need to sideload it. Here's one way.

If you don't want to bother with sideloading, you can get an Android TV device. Chromecast with Google TV is a solid option.

Powering via USB? I dont know where you got this from but yes I do have power to plug the TV into so I can just plug the device into this socket too.

AHA!, thanks for the link, thatll do it.

So Im downloading KODI via the Downloader app not Amazon?
I'd presume he got it from this:

(2021-11-14, 00:28)kassysimon Wrote: what I need is a device that I can plug into the USB of my TV

Let's step back a little here. What you need is a device which plugs into one of the HDMI ports on your TV (not the USB one), as that's where external devices input their video output so that it can be displayed on the screen. Some devices can also connect to the USB port, but that is strictly for powering them and suffers from the drawbacks already mentioned above.

It is always better to power from a proper mains socket, both as that will stay on when the TV switches off, and also that the USB port can usually either barely or not at all provide enough power to run the devices properly. A firestick can usually be powered by USB, but it will complain about it in the GUI and occasionally may have issues as a result.

Any of the Amazon "Fire" devices (stick, cube etc) can serve the purpose of running Kodi, as can devices like the Raspberry Pi and numerous Android-based "boxes". Essentially you can think of these as small low-power computers, which are used to host and run Kodi (sometimes specifically, sometimes alongside other apps) and are used to show your media content through the HDMI connection.

On most devices, there is some form of software "app store" that you can use to download and install apps (Google Play store for example under Android). But as noted, on Amazon devices they have their own app store, and Kodi is not available in that for historical reasons. But what you can do is manually download the install file for it and install it yourself. This is sideloading, as it's not coming from the "normal" route of the app store.

One way to do that is the Downloader app you mention, or you can do it purely manually if you know what you're doing.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-11-14, 12:33)DarrenHill Wrote: I'd presume he got it from this:
(2021-11-14, 00:28)kassysimon Wrote: what I need is a device that I can plug into the USB of my TV

Let's step back a little here. What you need is a device which plugs into one of the HDMI ports on your TV (not the USB one), as that's where external devices input their video output so that it can be displayed on the screen. Some devices can also connect to the USB port, but that is strictly for powering them and suffers from the drawbacks already mentioned above.

It is always better to power from a proper mains socket, both as that will stay on when the TV switches off, and also that the USB port can usually either barely or not at all provide enough power to run the devices properly. A firestick can usually be powered by USB, but it will complain about it in the GUI and occasionally may have issues as a result.

Any of the Amazon "Fire" devices (stick, cube etc) can serve the purpose of running Kodi, as can devices like the Raspberry Pi and numerous Android-based "boxes". Essentially you can think of these as small low-power computers, which are used to host and run Kodi (sometimes specifically, sometimes alongside other apps) and are used to show your media content through the HDMI connection.

On most devices, there is some form of software "app store" that you can use to download and install apps (Google Play store for example under Android). But as noted, on Amazon devices they have their own app store, and Kodi is not available in that for historical reasons. But what you can do is manually download the install file for it and install it yourself. This is sideloading, as it's not coming from the "normal" route of the app store.

One way to do that is the Downloader app you mention, or you can do it purely manually if you know what you're doing.

AHA!! I didnt realise they plugged into the HDMI port, I thought they plugged into the USB port, sorry for any confusion.

Thank you so much for explaining all this in such simple terms. The firestick seems like the device for me..... fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
Early Black Friday sale just started on all Fire TV devices, so good timing Smile.
Awesome!! Thank you so much

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This old hack needs some help0