Multiple simultaneous live TV streams of different channels?
Are there any PVR backends that support at least 2 simultaneous live TV streams of different channels that can be paused and rewinded on at least 2 different client devices?  Or is this something typically supported by all/most of them?  Haven't been able to find this info on Google so I'm guessing either most support it or most don't.
Yes, there are.
Most backends can serve as many simultaneous or different streams as your tuner(s) can offer. There might be other limitations per backend, but i have not run into any as far as livestreaming. Pause/rewind (timeshifting) experience may vary per backend.
Another consideration in the digital realm is some backends allow for playing and recording different "channels" from a single mux even on a single tuner. This is common on DVB-S and sometimes on ATSC (from the same major number). 

Martin
Thanks, I'm ready to give something a try.  Is there a comparison chart of the different backends I can pick one from?  Or is there one that's generally most favored?

I've been using separate Windows 10 + WMC HTPCs on each TV (3 of them).  With cheap Android TV boxes becoming more and more capable these days, it seems like sticking with my HTPCs might be overkill.
(2021-11-22, 22:49)GnatGoSplat Wrote: Thanks, I'm ready to give something a try.  Is there a comparison chart of the different backends I can pick one from?  Or is there one that's generally most favored?
PVR/Backends (wiki)

There isn't a lot of detail there, but it does at least list the backend options, with links to each.
(2021-11-23, 04:26)sub3 Wrote:
(2021-11-22, 22:49)GnatGoSplat Wrote: Thanks, I'm ready to give something a try.  Is there a comparison chart of the different backends I can pick one from?  Or is there one that's generally most favored?
PVR/Backends (wiki)

There isn't a lot of detail there, but it does at least list the backend options, with links to each.

Thanks.  Looks like if I narrow it down to Windows (since I'm already running a Windows server for Plex, shared drives, etc) and further narrow it down to backends that are still maintained, I'm looking at DVBViewer, MediaPortal, or NextPVR.

Do any of those stand out for having better ATSC and US Guide support, as well as supporting live TV pause/rewind to at least 2 clients simultaneously?
I'm the author of NextPVR. I'd just go with that. It's pretty well supported on Kodi and on the backend side. 

NextPVR supports ATSC well. I'm not sure about the other two. It can handle multiple clients at the same time. Obviously, if you're want to watch multiple frequencies at the same time, you'd need multiple tuners. (but this is true of whatever option you use)

There is no decent broadcast guide in North America. Most people in that part of the world just get a Schedules Direct subscription. It's cheap and bloody good (multiple weeks of listings, artwork, and season/episode info etc). Alternatively you could look into free xmltv sources, but they tend break fairly regularly when the sources change their websites.
If your are using WMC you might be using EPG 123 for the guide data, so that would mean you have a Schedules Direct account for the EPG.

Martin
Nice!  I'll go with NextPVR, thanks!

Couldn't really remember what guide I'd been using for WMC so I checked my notes.  Looks like I'm using Zap2It with zap2xml and EPG Collector to import into WMC.  All done through scheduled tasks.  Must be adequate for my needs as I have no complaints.  It does generate an xmltv.xml file, so I assume I can adapt it to NextPVR?
Any valid XMLTV file is going to work with NextPVR.  You can either keep your scheduled task and have NextPVR read it or have NextPVR trigger the XMLTV download process.  I still think SD JSON is the way to go for a cup of coffee a months, updates are much faster and the integrated meta art is better.

I can tell you that many users have experienced problems in the past figuring out how to install perl properly  so that it run from the NextPVR service so if your script is bulletproof I suggest triggering the NextPVR EPG update from your script

Martin
I went with NextPVR when I ran stuff on Windows. It's a really [please sub3 close your eyes for a moment Wink] reliable option that worked very well.

Let us know how it goes, or any challenge you might run into.
Got it installed.  Looks like Guide is automatically working, I guess from OTA data?  The guide looks good and accurate enough so far, I may not need my existing WMC guide system.  I've set up the Add-on for Kodi and timeshifting Live TV is working fine as well.  However, recording doesn't work.  "Recording Service Not Running At Recording Time".  I'm not sure if I just missed a step or if this is a malfunction that requires sending in logs.  I spent quite a bit of time searching Google for solutions but pretty stumped on this one.

Also don't have subtitles working which I ultimately would like to, but not being able to record at all is definitely the bigger issue.
Typically logs on the NextPVR forum are the way to go.  On topic with this thread getting the ATSC EPG requires your tuner too which is why it is only recommended in off hours.  The guide may look okay but  some stations might provide just 4 hours of data vs 2 weeks from zap2it or Schedules Direct.  You lose a lot of meta data too and can't use features like avoid duplicates, record new episode, and showing season and episode numbering

Martin
Post the question over at https://forums.nextpvr.com/, along with the logs, and we'll take a look what's happening with recordings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple simultaneous live TV streams of different channels?0