Bug Kodi 20 - label overflow ellipsis bug
Running Kodi 20.0 Alpha 1 I'm running into a strange bug with label overflow ellipsis dots.

When first starting Kodi I get the correct 3 dots (ellipsis) to show a label overflow like so
watch gallery

However after a while and at random the ellipsis stop showing and in there place I get the following junk characters
watch gallery

Anybody else seen the same problem?
Isn't it a font issue? Did you try with different fonts?
Yep, tried a few different fonts they all display the issue.

If it was a font issue then I would expect the problem to be visible all the time, however the font renders perfectly fine when Kodi is first run, suggesting a bug with the way the font is being rendered by Kodi.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there had been some changes to font rendering in Nexus, but I can't find the post anymore.
Previously I made a ticket on GH, had an issue when font was displayed wrong and letters was swapped. This is a ticket: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/20130
Probably it's not related but in Nexus we will see some changes with font rendering.
Yep, I had seen that thanks.

I found the changes I mentioned, seems Kodi Nexus has moved over to Harfbuzz for font rendering, maybe that's causing the issue.

The issue doesn't happen in Kodi 19 with the same fonts, so it's definitely an issue that's been introduced in Kodi 20.
Yeah. This might be it. I would recommend to report it on GitHub. Probably there someone will react faster Smile
@roidy just tested on my PC with latest build from Git from yesterday. Everything seems to works ok:
Which font are you using?

Please could you try using either Roboto, Lato or Readex Pro all available from google fonts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 20 - label overflow ellipsis bug0