Solved XBox updated to 19.3, will no longer play videos
I've been running with Kodi 18 for a while, and unfortunately, when I upgraded the Amazon Prime app, XBox decided to update everything, including the Kodi app, and now, no videos play.

I've been able to get MP3 files to play, but any video - MKV, MP4, ISO - just puts a "waiting" spinner on screen that never ends.

I've been running all my video from a Linux Mint SMB server. I thought it might be another networking change, so I put a known good video on a USB thumb drive, plugged it into the back of the XBox, and tried to play that. And it still just sits at "waiting".

I'm not streaming, have no add-ons installed (other than the weather app and the Addicted subtitles app), but something as basic as playing a video file off of local USB storage doesn't even work. I've checked, and hardware acceleration is disabled.

I've tried to uninstall Kodi from Xbox, but it can't even do that. I select Kodi, hit "Uninstall All" an nothing happens.

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to clean Kodi out and start from scratch? 

Or do I have to do a factory reset to dislodge it?
Okay, further investigation showed that there was a pending Windows Store update, which is why it wouldn't uninstall Kodi. After updating the Windows Store and rebooting the XBox, Kodi was cleanly uninstalled.

I downloaded Kodi from the Windows Store, and it cheerfully plays the videos on the USB stick without issue. Even better, after adding support for SMB shares (still oddly missing by default), it saw the Linux samba shares, and I was able to successfully play a video from a share.

Leaving this here in case anyone else has video playback issues in going from 18.x to 19.3; whatever it was, a clean install solved it.

I've been running Kodi since about version 12, and my hat's off to the developers. The *only* time I ever seem to have to any problems with it is whenever they're a major upgrade. Network issues, sound issues, video issues, they all seem to be conflicts between older and newer baselines. Doing a clean install is annoying, but I've noticed with each version, it gets easier.

All I had to to this time was:
- set UI to Confluence (I've got muscle memory for it, and it works)
- enable Samba support (add-ons / my add-ons / virtual file system)
- configure local Canadian regional settings (force of habit)
- configure the web interface so I can use my phone as a keyboard
- select subtitle add-ons
- configure mount points for music, movies, and tv shows

Of course, since it's about almost 21TB of stuff, it's going to take a long time to index, but that's just a fire and forget operation.

Anyway, for v18 to v19 XBox users, if you're having video playback issues, do consider a clean install.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBox updated to 19.3, will no longer play videos0