How is film nationality / language supposed to work?
Background: I have a multiple-device setup with several devices running Kodi (android television, external media player, Raspberry Pi, Linux-based computers) using a common SQL+fileserver for storage. For movies, I use the Universal Movie Scraper and retrieve the film name information from IMDB, preferring original-language titles. How are the scraper and Kodi supposed to resolve film nationality / language edge case issues?

A case where these two confilict is the Wolfgang Petersen film The Neverending Story (1984) which was a German-made film, but made in English with an English-speaking cast (and of course a dubbed version was also created for the German film market). In IMDB the film is correctly marked as German and English-language. The end result here is however that Kodi will display the film after scraping as Die unendliche Geschichte.

In my opinion the film title should be displayed not according to the name in the country of production, but according to the name in the original language of the film! Of course these are somewhat rare edge cases, but how should they be resolved, should the IMDB data for cases like this be updated in some way?
(2021-12-19, 17:08)ExTechOp Wrote: How are the scraper and Kodi supposed to resolve film nationality / language edge case issues?
They don't. Kodi just receives data from the scraper, and the scraper receives the data from IMDB. So whatever IMDB provides is what is used.
If you have set Original Language in the scraper setting, that is what you are going to get according to IMDB. Kodi is not going to second guess that and somehow swap titles around for you.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-12-19, 20:21)Karellen Wrote: Kodi just receives data from the scraper, and the scraper receives the data from IMDB. So whatever IMDB provides is what is used.

Thank you for confirming that. Turns out that in the case I was thinking of, the premier of the movie was with the German-dubbed version (even though it was made as an English-language film) so it is reasonable to define the German-language title to be the original title.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How is film nationality / language supposed to work?0