Closed Captions
Closed captions do not appear on some TV shows recorded with nextpvr. 
My SpecsBig Grinevice specifications
Device name    DESKTOP-MMB3BE3
Processor    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
4.10 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based
processor

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎11/‎16/‎2020
OS build    19043.1415
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Kodi file version 19.1.0.0
product 19.3

I posted a log file made while playing a show with no captions at:
https://paste.kodi.tv/qeguguqude.kodi
I did not know how to show you one of the shows as they  are quite long and I have not figured how to split the file and save the captions.
Closed captioning needs to be activated and it is not logically located in setting.  You need to Settings->Player->Language (higher than Basic) and then turn on parsing for closed captions.  Then you should be able to toggle it off and on.  Then during playback you should be able to select CC1, 2 etc.

Assuming you have already done this, then please note that Kodi doesn't extract and display all eia608 and eia708 formats.  You would probably need to provide a sample and create a gitbhub issue in Kodi core.  There is a PR for Nexus for improving 708 using ccextractor logic but there hasn't been a lot of activity on it.  It is not an addon issue.

Martin
I did turn on parsing.  I guess I will need to look around for a front end that will display closed Captions.  NextPVR does display them but since version 5,  It tends to freeze up a lot.  I used to use SRT caption using ccextractor but even NextPVR no long sees them.
Thank you for your response.
Kodi is a community effort.  As noted earlier without raising this as an issue with the proper supporting files you can't expect things ever to change.    Many Kodi developers come from countries that use DVB subtitles or DVB teletext and not closed captioning.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Closed Captions0