Refresh rate switching vs Pulldown 3:2 / 5:5
Hello,
can you please explain to me, if Pulldown is used when Refresh rate is working for 24p content ?
My friend is asking if it's OK to buy cheaper 60Hz OLED or to go for 120Hz. Purely for movies, not for gaming.
I explained to him that with 120Hz OLED you can use 5:5 pulldown for 24p content, which is better (smooth playback) than 3:2 pulldown in case of 60Hz TV.
However, does pulldown still works if refresh rate switching is used ? I don't think TV will actually switch from 120/60Hz to 24Hz. TV in 24Hz would flicker like hell imho.
I kind of thought that 120Hz panel stays 120Hz all the time doesn't matter what, but then there is VRR...
Thank you for explanation.
Thread moved to video support
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Modern panels are capable of multiple refresh rates.  23, 24, 30, 50, and 60Hz are common.  When a 23.976 video is played, a panel is going to use 24Hz if the software you are using (Kodi in this case) has been instructed to Match Refresh Rates in its settings.  If you don't set software to match refresh rates, it is going to use pulldown to match the highest refresh rate the display is capable of which is never ideal because it introduces choppy judder.  The playback will not be smooth at all.  It has to be an exact multiple.  So, it doesn't matter what maximum refresh rate a display is capable of since they are capable of many exact matches. 

What I do is set software, including Kodi, to whitelist these refresh rates using my 4k panel - 2160p23.98, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p59.94, and 2160p60.  This way refresh rates for 25fps are doubled to 50fps.  Same with 30fps which is doubled to 60fps... and so on.  This inserts more frames per second which is more information which is more quality.  This can be confirmed by viewing your 25fps video outputting at 50fps to your display by viewing the display information which is going to show 50Hz for example.  By only selecting 2160p, lesser resolution video such as 1080p will always upscale taking advantage of why we use 4k in the first place. 

You should also consider if your GPU is capable of 120Hz, not just the panel.  If it isn't, you're probably going to find anything you play never exceeds 60Hz.  I also know of exactly zero publicly available 120fps movies unless a 60fps is doubled of which a couple were mastered.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi...rame_rates 

That said, many displays are capable of interpolation via factory settings.  This means algorithms can insert more frames without any pulldown.  My panel is capable of 240Hz.  So, a 24fps video is enriched with more information per frame exactly 10 times for instance.  This is called SOE (Soap Opera Effect).  9 times out of 10, internet feedback frowns on this.  Why, I don't know and I don't think the haters do either.  I would never consider not using it.  I think the campaign against it originated from displays that didn't have the capability and didn't want anyone else that did have it upping them.  The excuse is always the same - it looks too real.  I don't know about you but that's what I strive for.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hi. This sounds very much like what  have been doing but I have a small issue with frame drops or choppy judder as you call it. The movies play smoothly but every few seconds or so it skips or jumps a frame. I have concluded that this is because the TV doesn't show 23.976 fps and comes out of sync with the graphics card. I am a big fan of high framerate videos such as the "Gemini Man" at 60fps. This is perfect when it comes to fps and smoothnes. 25 fps and 30 fps videos also looks good but not the 23.976 fps. Using the 3:2 pulldown doesn't fix this issue either. Any suggestions?

I am using a RTX 3060 graphics card. 

Thanks!
Windows 11, Intel i9 9900K, 16GB RAM, Asus Geforce RTX 3060 Phoenix
Bump - I think my issue with Shield and Kodi are caused by the same thing - the TV is at 24hz, Kodi and shield are at 23.976. Any solutions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate switching vs Pulldown 3:2 / 5:50