Win Resolution switching question / problem
Thanks. Can you confirm exactly which resolutions you are whitelisting? I’ve tried whitelisting all the 3840x2160p resolutions and all the 1920x1080p resolutions, but it just will not work for me.
(2022-06-01, 00:39)BertieBassett Wrote: Thanks. Can you confirm exactly which resolutions you are whitelisting? I’ve tried whitelisting all the 3840x2160p resolutions and all the 1920x1080p resolutions, but it just will not work for me.

I whitelisted a huge amount of resolutions - won't even fit 10 screenshots.

Please make sure you have "Maintain Display Aspect" is chosen in the Intel control center and not something else.
So you’ve whitelisted everything in the Kodi list? Including 4096x2160p?

The other issue I’ve had as per the thread is that my Intel driver has kept on resetting itself to “maintain aspect ratio” rather than “maintain display scaling” as a result of Kodi messing things around. Have you ever seen that happening?
Just a heads up on white listing ( if you didnt already know)
Once you use white listing ie. just one entry in the whit list is all it takes, ANY video that does not match EXACTLY to what is in the white list will run at kodi's desktop resolution and refresh rate.
Great if your library conforms 100% and Great if Kodi reads the resolution corectly, which in my case reported some videos as 1920 x 1088 (8 pixels out so didnt change), same video in media info in windows reports corectly.
Did you mean “windows desktop resolution” or “Kodi gui resolution”? I’m not sure what you mean by “ kodi's desktop resolution and refresh rate”

Either way, this is not how my system seems to function. As a test, I whitelisted ONLY 1920x1080p60. A jellyfish test video file at 1080p30 then played back at 3840x2160 - windows desktop resolution - but the refresh rate changed to 30hz. Is this what I should expect?

Currently in desperation I have whitelisted everything, and all my media plays back at 3840x2160, but all at the correct refresh rate.

I think part of this is due to the exact match of dimensions - a video file at 1920x1088 doesn’t conform to any of the whitelisted entries, so Kodi defaults to 3840x2160. But I understood that Kodi looks for an exact match in either horizontal or vertical, not 100% in both directions - if it does need to be absolutely exact then it’s not ideal for playing encoded media, right?

I’m now wondering if an external player +/- Madvr would work to do what I want - simple, native-res playback of my media with my display doing all the upscaling. Anyone got any experience of using MadVR with Kodi 19 or 20? And which external player? MPC-BE?
Sorry... I meant kodi gui resolution and refresh.
How I described is how it seems to work for me and as far as I understand is how it supposed to work. But then again there are multiple oppinions on how it should work.

As for madvr have a read here for integration in to kodi
Just to update: I have fixed my problem! Thank you for pointing me towards CRU - turns out this was the tool I needed. For anyone in the same boat, I was able to use CRU to edit the EDID of my displays. The edit that did the trick was to add 1920x1080@60hz as a 'detailed resolution', then move it to the top of the list of detailed resolutions, with 3840x2160@60Hz as the second res in the list. This would mean that 1080 content would not upscale to 2160p, but 2160p content will pass through. So now my Kodi is doing exactly what I wanted it to do! Desktop res is 2160p; if this is set to 1080p then everything plays at 1080p and 2160p content is downscaled by Windows. Audio bitstreams through totally fine, HDR toggles on and off, and everything is exactly how I want it. Phew!

The only other thing I changed was to install the brand new (05/22) version of the Intel driver that you can find here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...ivers.html. It's set to 2160p@60hz, 8bpc and RGB output, maintain display scaling.

So all is good and I'm happy and relieved! Thanks for all the help!
Thumbs Up 
Nice one. Glad you sorted it.

BTW. How much hair do you have left Big Grin
🤣 I had precious little hair to start with, so this little saga was the final straw. All gone now!
I updated kodi for first time in ages today to v.20 nightly build and my 1080s which report as 1088p wouldn't upscale just play in small Central 1080p window on my 4k screen display would just stay in 2160p. All 2160 and 1080 res whitelisted aswell so I changed in nvidia setting let display do the scaling not gpu and all of a sudden upscaling worked a charm. Can't ever remember changing that setting in nvidia??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution switching question / problem0