Unable to remap OSMC / FireTV remotes under Xubuntu Linux
I'm moving over from CoreELEC to a full Linux install using Xubuntu. I've got Kodi 20 up and running great but I'm having issues mapping my remotes. I have an OSMC RF remote and a FireTV bluetooth remote both of which worked perfectly with CoreELEC, I was able to remap every button perfectly fine.

Now after moving to a full Linux install I'm having problems, I can get both remotes connected and working fine with Kodi, navigation and select work fine, however the OSMC remote I can't get the Play or Stop button to do anything and the FireTV remote I can't get the Play button to work and the Home button just launches the FireFox web browser over the top of Kodi.

I've tried using Keymap Editor to remap the buttons but none are recognized.

Any help please.
As a suggestion. That's what I've always done to see how Kodi reacts if I trigger buttons on remotes.

Start Kodi and enable debug logging. Then from the command line do: tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

That will monitor the Debug Log (ctrl+c to stop it). Then hit the play/pause button on your remote and see if Kodi is recognizing this press or not.

What you will see in the log:
  • if Kodi is recognizing the presses
    • if not, then check the OS input events if the presses are recognized at all
  • how Kodi is understanding those inputs (either as a remote or as a keyboard)
  • how the button is named and what to use at custom files
If you like, you could also share those snippets in here.

I somewhat guess that the buttons aren't recognized at all and I'm not too sure what to do if it's a bluetooth remote. But let's see after you have tried.
Quote:I somewhat guess that the buttons aren't recognized at all and I'm not too sure what to do if it's a bluetooth remote. But let's see after you have tried.

Thanks, the Kodi log doesn't show a keyboard event or scancode for the play button on either remote. However I know that the play button on both remotes is at least being detected because if I open a terminal and press the Play button the cursor changes from a solid square to an outline, so something is happening.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to remap OSMC / FireTV remotes under Xubuntu Linux0