New To Kodi
I am not a noob as it comes to OS, Distros, etc. My question is specifically the channels on Kodi. On Roku there is a specific channel that i can install that acts as a screeensaver for my TV. It is not available on the "LG Content Store" on my smart tv. 

Their website has the Channel availble on Roku, FireTv and Apple TV. Its also available on iOS and Android.
sing Kodi would i be able to Get that channel as an addon? I am not sure how the repositories gather items and package them as a channel.

Additionally can i also get a channel for Rumble in addition to Youtube though Kodi? I know it is available as Roku, iOS and Android.
I can't answer your questions as I am not familiar with what Roku does, but you can search our official repository for addons here... https://kodi.tv/addons/matrix
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Not specifically about roku... I was wondering how does Kodi Procure its "Channels". If channels are available on those other 5 OS (iOS, Android, Roku, FireTV, AppleTV) how does Kodi "Build" "Create" "Develop" Channels that work through there? Obviously there is a Youtube App on all 5 of those and there is a youtube app through Kodi..
(2022-01-28, 00:06)natesroom Wrote: I was wondering how does Kodi Procure its "Channels"
Two ways.

The first way is using the PVR feature of Kodi. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

The second way is using Add-ons. You can search available addons in the link I gave previously. There are other addons not in that repo, but hosted on the forum. There are also addons in the wider internet which you install at your own risk and may also be banned here. Not all, but many are. See Banned Add-ons (wiki)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for responding but this is not what i am asking. I am wondering how does kodi build the channels... Who or How are they coded and created where does that development happen. Is there a place where i can read how its done? I'm guessing C# or C++ is used in the hardcoding and creating of a package to create a channel.
You want to know how they are developed.

Usually done in Python v3.
There are a few repositories for addons, depending what type they are, and many times developers use their own repo, then transfer the finished item to the Kodi repo.
But an example is here... https://github.com/xbmc/repo-plugins/tree/matrix

You can read about addon development here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_development

Is that what you are asking?
My Signature
Yes thanks.. i thought 
Quote:how does Kodi "Build" "Create" "Develop" Channels that work 
Was pretty self explanatory, lol. 
Thanks for everything! I will be reading through those links.
It might also be worth noting that we (Team Kodi) do not provide any media (shows, movies, tv shows, tv channels etc). We only provide Kodi as a media centre to aggregate and present/manage them, and Kodi as a media player to actually view them.

As mentioned above, we have the facilities to play local media, and to handle streamed media like IPTV and other PVR (wiki) sources, and the content of certain sources/sites like YouTube etc via addons. But we do not provide the actual content, that is down to the user.

We curate an official add-on repository, which has some addons in it for various sites (YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Pluto, Plex and many others) that have been reviewed and checked by the team as being safe, but in almost all cases they are "unofficial" as in not provided by or approved of by those source sites. All the sites make their content freely available though, or if they don't then valid login credentials for the sites are required and enforced to access the content.

There are various banned addons (wiki) out there which are 3rd party and make use of illegally sourced (pirated) media, but those are not developed, supported or condoned by us, and any device using them gets no support here. Whilst we are fully aware that such usage is out there (and may even be a majority of users), we would much rather it wasn't and actively do nothing to encourage or assist it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
yes i understand. That was why i was asking how or who developed the addons. 

Karellen pointed me in the right direction.
As Darren pointed out it's independent developers in the majority of case who have no specific affliation with the content provider, and most of these developers are just hobbyist who code in their free time who wanted to get access their faviourite content via Kodi so learnt to develop Kodi addons with Python. In the case of free content there's often an API available, so for example while the Youtube addon is not official as in directly endorsed by Youtube, and the Dev has not connection to Youtube, it does however use the official API provided by Youtube.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New To Kodi0