Multiple video files treat as one
Hi,

I am digitizing my DVD collection, and now I stumble across LOTR with multiple DVDs that make up one movie.

So I have the following quesions:
1. How should I name the files? e.g. :
LOTR Disc1.iso
LOTR Disc2.iso
Or must I use another description?
2. Does XBMC play these 2 files automatically after one and another? So XBMC sees those 2 files as one movie?

Thanks!

Senas
iso files do not stack
Ok, and how do I make them stack? As avi? Or anoher format? And how?
all video files other than DVD-Video images (ISO/IMG/NRG) can be stacked, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

Most common naming is:
* MyVideo-CD1.avi
* MyVideo-CD2.avi
or
* MyVideo.CD1.avi
* MyVideo.CD2.avi
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sebas74 Wrote:Ok, and how do I make them stack? As avi? Or anoher format? And how?

Did you rip the full DVD to ISO or just the main movie? I had the same issue. I ripped the DVDs using DVDFab5 HDDecrypter. If you purchase it, it has an option to take DVD content from multiple DVD's and MERGE them into one.

Here's the RUB!! The ISO file size in DVDFab5 has a 10 GB limit. The LOTR discs are over 5 GB in size at full quality. You can do it but with reduced quality. I think it was coming in around 85%, but it has been a while.

I e-mailed DVDFab Support and requested they increase the limit or remove it entirely in cases where the resulting ISO won't be burned to DVD's.

However, I keep getting the run around. The guy keeps saying it can't be done in the current product, but won't say if it is something they can change. Anyone know if there is a size limit for the ISO format?
Gamester17 Wrote:all video files other than DVD-Video images (ISO/IMG/NRG) can be stacked, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

The docs on the wiki page don't specify what media can (or cannot stack.) As soon as I get my wiki account confirmation, I'll update that page. However, I know that DVD video images used to stack.

Out curiosity, when did that change and why? Any chance of getting it back?

Thanks, guys!
qwerty7 Wrote:As soon as I get my wiki account confirmation, I'll update that page.

Nevermind... Users don't have Wiki update capability... :-)
Gamester17 Wrote:all video files other than DVD-Video images (ISO/IMG/NRG) can be stacked, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

Most common naming is:
* MyVideo-CD1.avi
* MyVideo-CD2.avi
or
* MyVideo.CD1.avi
* MyVideo.CD2.avi
I did not know you could do this. Does this mean that upon playback the second file automatically plays when the first ends?
Yes you do - just PM pike and ask for access and he'll be happy to grant it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

qwerty7 Wrote:However, I know that DVD video images used to stack.

Out curiosity, when did that change and why? Any chance of getting it back?

I came here via google to find out why my stacking of DVD ISOs wasn't working on the Xbox version of XBMC anymore. Anyhow, I figure I should clarify. It used to work on the Xbox version of XBMC. Not sure about the Windows version. Apologies if there was any confusion caused by my saying it used to work...
qwerty7 Wrote:Out curiosity, when did that change and why? Any chance of getting it back?

Just to wrap things up... Finally got Wiki edit access, but it look like somebody already updated the docs on stacking. And to answer one of my questions, it look like it went away in 2006-06 builds (according to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...p=13060459).
(2008-09-03, 18:27)Gamester17 Wrote: all video files other than DVD-Video images (ISO/IMG/NRG) can be stacked, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Stacking

Most common naming is:
* MyVideo-CD1.avi
* MyVideo-CD2.avi
or
* MyVideo.CD1.avi
* MyVideo.CD2.avi

I see that this is an old forum post, but hopefully someone knowledgeable is listening.

1) Each of my movies are in their own folder. The exception are the multi part ones like this which are grouped in a single folder. If a title consists of multiple words will the following work?

--Raising Helen (2004\
----Raising Helen (2004)-CD1.avi
----Raising Helen (2004)-CD2.avi

2) Can I also include metadata in the file name like this?
--Raising Helen (2004\
----Raising Helen (2004 XviD AC3 5.1CH)-CD1.avi
----Raising Helen (2004 XviD AC3 5.1CH)-CD2.avi

3) Can I also use a single movie.nfo or do I need it named Raising Helen (2004)-CD1.nfo?

HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
1. That's correct for naming (there are several ways, and yours will work).

2. Yes, you can add metadata to the file name as you illustrated.

3. For the .nfo, you'd need to name it after the first video in the stack (or CD1 in your case). Any other .nfos are unnecessary.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Awesome, thank thrak76 for your detailed reply!
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple video files treat as one1