Required Steps Before Viewing Live TV On Laptop
Hi there 🙂

Before getting started with Kodi...

I've got tv service (a set top box) and internet through an isp and would like to view live tv on my laptop.

I'm new to using a tuner card and/or dongle setup and hope someone's willing to cover some beginner questions. 😇

1) In terms of which type of device...

https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/Tuner_cards

...is recommended for this purpose, can anyone advise on the ideal one of those three?

2) Since it's for use with a laptop (and a lay end-user should probably not be messing with the insides), should I skip the "Internal Card" option?

3) What is meant by, "For a proper Live TV and PVR experience the computer you install it on will need to run continuously"?

-> In other words, I'd just like to be able to access the live feeds whenever and eventually shut down the computer whenever - is that not how it would work?

4) Do hdmi cables come into play at any point or is this process only done with coax cables? I like that hdmi's are less bulky and easier to plug in than coaxials but there's only one hdmi slot available on the laptop and it's being used for an external monitor.

----------

Apparently the isp's local store can provide equipment free of charge, such as an extra long hdmi cable and possibly the necessary tv tuner stuff (wasn't able to get the specifics but I'll find out Monday).

In the meantime, any guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
(2022-02-20, 22:25)DubTime Wrote: 2) Since it's for use with a laptop (and a lay end-user should probably not be messing with the insides), should I skip the "Internal Card" option?
I don't think an internal tuner card is an option for a laptop. It would not fit. The dongle is a one off cost, the network attached device is more expensive, and some may need monthly subscription to unlock all its features.

(2022-02-20, 22:25)DubTime Wrote: 3) What is meant by, "For a proper Live TV and PVR experience the computer you install it on will need to run continuously"?
If you are used to walking to your TV and switching it on and watching it within a couple of seconds, then you shouldn't be shutting down your laptop that is hosting the PVR backend. If you do, when you want to watch tv, you then need to boot your laptop, then wait for the backend to startup, then connect to the channel line up, then switch to the channel you want. It could take quite a few minutes.

Also, when you start using the recording and timer features, then they won't work if the laptop is shut down.

(2022-02-20, 22:25)DubTime Wrote: 4) Do hdmi cables come into play at any point or is this process only done with coax cables? I like that hdmi's are less bulky and easier to plug in than coaxials but there's only one hdmi slot available on the laptop and it's being used for an external monitor.
Only to conntect the hardware that Kodi is installed on to the TV. You still need a coax cable to connect your hardware to the tv antenna on your roof.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thumbs Up 
This is really helpful, thanks so much Karellen! Cool

Btw, regarding "...then wait for the backend to startup...", does 'backend' refer to the set top box?
(2022-02-20, 23:07)DubTime Wrote: Btw, regarding "...then wait for the backend to startup...", does 'backend' refer to the set top box?
No. The backend refers to the program you install so you can use Kodi for Live TV.
Kodi does not have any Live TV/PVR functions. It hooks into another program that provides it, then it is displayed in the Kodi interface.
You select a tuner card, then you select a PVR backend then you install the Kodi addon that hooks into the PVR backend.
It is explained in section 1 here... https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/Backends
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You'd need to provide more info on your setup and what you want to record.  In Canada where I live most satellite and cable providers give you multiple STBs for your devices but DRM prevents you from using any tuner to record so I use a/v capture devices on 3 cable STB devices that are controlled via LIRC. 

In the US you can do that but typically user subscribe to cable card (no satellite option) to get some but not all channels they subscribe too.  Channels DVR m3u files are also interesting IPTV like streams that can viewed..

Martin
(2022-02-20, 23:42)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-02-20, 23:07)DubTime Wrote: Btw, regarding "...then wait for the backend to startup...", does 'backend' refer to the set top box?
No. The backend refers to the program you install so you can use Kodi for Live TV.
Kodi does not have any Live TV/PVR functions. It hooks into another program that provides it, then it is displayed in the Kodi interface.
You select a tuner card, then you select a PVR backend then you install the Kodi addon that hooks into the PVR backend.
It is explained in section 1 here... https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/Backends

Ahhhh, got it. Thanks again. 👌
it may be a good idea to make sure it is computable with your operating system i have 4 different tv tuners  2 pci and 2 usb none work under windows 10 
you may find iptv has  a link to the channels
(2022-02-21, 01:59)the_other_guy Wrote: it may be a good idea to make sure it is computable with your operating system i have 4 different tv tuners  2 pci and 2 usb none work under windows 10 
That might be because they are analog tuners which are pretty useless for broadcast or they use the cheap SDR Realtek RTL2832U tuner which is quite tricky to install on Windows 10 for DVB users.  Most other tuners are supported on Windows simply because that is where the market is.  Assuming they have BDA drivers they should work with NextPVR and maybe with Mediaportal.

Martin
Information 
Whoops, just noticing the additional replies by emveepee & the_other_guy - thanks for the feedback 👍

Further details:

- I sold my tv but still have an active cable subscription and will be using the "PXD01ANI DTA Set Top Box Model XiD-P" (Xfinity)...

...to connect to the laptop (Dell Inspiron 5406*) running Windows 11 Home.

* Modified specs = "Intel i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD".

Laptop connects wirelessly to the "CGM4331COM xFi Gateway model XB7" (Xfinity)...

- I actually hadn't considered recording as an objective before seeing it referenced it so frequently in these forums...the goal is to view live sports in real time, as live streaming via web browser, even with high speed internet & substantial ram, is very buggy and unreliable (often times grainy, sluggish and requiring frequent tab refreshes, etc).

An unassuming google search of "best tv tuner for Windows" (I had peripherals in mind), led instead to a list of, "top 5 TV tuner softwares for Windows pc's", featuring Kodi as #1 recommended.

I'm completely unfamiliar with how any of this works but will figure it out thru trial and error soon enough, after getting the necessary equipment this week, and via the wikis, forum searches and this thread. 😉
[Btw, it's unclear as to how to edit posts or give rep.]
(2022-02-21, 07:00)DubTime Wrote: [Btw, it's unclear as to how to edit posts or give rep.]
You are too new and still a probation member. Those features will become available to you a bit later on Smile
My Signature
(2022-02-21, 06:08)emveepee Wrote:
(2022-02-21, 01:59)the_other_guy Wrote: it may be a good idea to make sure it is computable with your operating system i have 4 different tv tuners  2 pci and 2 usb none work under windows 10 
That might be because they are analog tuners which are pretty useless for broadcast or they use the cheap SDR Realtek RTL2832U tuner which is quite tricky to install on Windows 10 for DVB users.  Most other tuners are supported on Windows simply because that is where the market is.  Assuming they have BDA drivers they should work with NextPVR and maybe with Mediaportal.

Martin
Australia dropped analog about 10 years ago all digital   the problem is all the scam sites saying they have the drivers
(2022-02-21, 08:55)the_other_guy Wrote: Australia dropped analog about 10 years ago all digital   the problem is all the scam sites saying they have the drivers

I think the real problems is that people use old tuners.  Windows 10 was released 7 years ago so lack of drivers would not be new problem.  Most of these tuners were in fact sold for WMC which was EOL before that.  There is a secondary problem that people bought tuners and forgot about the install media, bought the WMC version or the vendor only supported 32 bit.

For the OP the message is to buy a well supported brand if he finds he can use a tuner.  Unfortunately illegal IPTV is putting a stress on the traditional vendors too.

Martin
@DubTime although I am not American it looks like that DTA box is about the same as what you'd get with CableCard.   I've read that Comcast might even give a cablecard for free.

For cablecard most users probably use the Silicon Dust Prime but some people do buy Hauppauge DCR tuners and they are often cheaper.   Check kijiji and ebay too they can be around $50

Martin
Hi all 👋

Update is that my tv provider was mistaken; they carry the "Motorola 514517-002-00 M-Card MediaCipher Cable Card", which is intended for direct use with the tv equipment not with a laptop.

I contacted the laptop manufacturer (Dell) and they weren't too helpful.

-> Are any of you aware of whether there are tuner cards that even *are* compatible with laptops?

(My laptop is the "Dell Inspiron 5406 2n1")

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Required Steps Before Viewing Live TV On Laptop0