Self-hosted streaming alternative...with kodi?
I already run Kodi at home for my considerable music library.

I was browsing the Internet the other day and bumped into Subsonic http://www.subsonic.org. I left the tab open and thought - "interesting".
I don't want anything like Spotify or any cloud based service. They only serve mainstream and I just don't like not having complete control over what I want to listen to.

I came back to the tab today and said to myself "I want this", streaming my own music over the internet from wherever I like.
Then I saw it's not open source, did a quick search which spew out there results like ampache, funkwhale and other stuff.

Finally I asked myself - can I actually use kodi for this? I have experience with it, I like it...why not?

So...that's the question really, is there anything I'd be missing out or troubling myself if I'd want to use kodi not only to stream at home, but as a self-hosted Spotify alternative?
You could have a look at Icecast, too... unfortunately, some SSL error prevents me from opening their page right now.
Jellyfin or Plex can stream your music at home from your home server or PC. You can also set them up so you can remotely access them.

I do exactly this with a home server and connect Kodi to it
Here's the Kodi Wiki page on sharing which discusses some of the options.  I personally use Mezzmo and do what you want and more but there are multiple options.  One big question is what do you want on the other end to play your personal music library ?  The choices are a client or a browser.  If you want the client approach then a VPN solution will likely offering more options for remote client connectivity. 

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Thank you very much for these suggestions folks.

But I feel very stupid with this question...so...bear with me:

If I make my kodi installation available to the Internet, and use a front end like Yatse on mobiles...what is it that I do not get to achieve a Spotify-like experience?
In other words, what is it that these Jellyfins, Plexes and Mezzmos add to the experience that kodi doesn't have itself?

I am a bit confused, apologies...
(2022-03-09, 03:08)phonky Wrote: I already run Kodi at home for my considerable music library.

I was browsing the Internet the other day and bumped into Subsonic http://www.subsonic.org. I left the tab open and thought - "interesting".
I don't want anything like Spotify or any cloud based service. They only serve mainstream and I just don't like not having complete control over what I want to listen to.

I came back to the tab today and said to myself "I want this", streaming my own music over the internet from wherever I like.
Then I saw it's not open source, did a quick search which spew out there results like ampache, funkwhale and other stuff.

Finally I asked myself - can I actually use kodi for this? I have experience with it, I like it...why not?

So...that's the question really, is there anything I'd be missing out or troubling myself if I'd want to use kodi not only to stream at home, but as a self-hosted Spotify alternative?
Kodi as it is... isn't the solution you're looking for...

Subsonic WAS open source, Someone has forked it while it was open and created Airsonic. BTW, used subsonic for YEARS! and switched recently to Airsonic. I use the android app dSub for my on-the-go streaming... also works with android auto.

::Update::
Looks like Airsonic might be abandoned.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I continue feeling stupid and clueless. Must be because even if I (barely) know Spotify and the like, I don't use them.
One of the reasons is that I had Grooveshark back in the days and suddenly all my music and playlists were gone and not accessible anymore.
Even if I know that to be completely different, I will never use any cloud service again.

Why is it that kodi is not what I am looking for? What am l looking for?

I can stream music with kodi in my house, why not over the Internet?
What am I missing/not seeing?
I think there are a couple potential issues:  is the streaming protocol routable and how does it deal with latency.  Kodi comes packaged with DLNA but I don't know if that can be routed?  I think same thing using something like Chromecast / Airplay as middle-ware.

Typical Kodi relies on a file access protocol, not streaming as I understand it.  So remote file access I think is the typical way to use Kodi remotely.  I would lean towards using a private VPN rather than WebDAV or sftp.

scott s.
I view Kodi as a 'client'. i.e it can consume media and play it for you.
It sounds like you want something to serve up music/video/etc, i.e. a 'server' application. Apps like Jellyfin/Plex and I'm guessing Airsonic will do that.
You can of course do both by using the server application, and then play it with Kodi.
How about a Raspberry Pi and opensource rAudio instead of Kodi?

https://github.com/rern/rAudio-1/
3 * Nvidia Shield + Synology NAS DS218+ LG 77CX6LA + Genelec + RasPi/rAudio + Adam T5V + T7V + T10S - ArcoLinux
This is not really my wheel house, I have no desire to access my music anywhere except my lounge, but as far as I can see Kodi is more than able to be a webserver (and obviously has a great music library).
(2022-03-09, 16:47)phonky Wrote: If I make my kodi installation available to the Internet, and use a front end like Yatse on mobiles...what is it that I do not get to achieve a Spotify-like experience?
Yes that is the approach I would take, Kodi + Yatse, and I think that will give you what you want.
Thanks mates, I think the latest comments made it clearer for me.
(2022-03-09, 19:17)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2022-03-09, 03:08)phonky Wrote: Airsonic is, but Airsonic advanced I already run Kodi at home for my considerable music library.

Kodi as it is... isn't the solution you're looking for...

Subsonic WAS open source, Someone has forked it while it was open and created Airsonic. BTW, used subsonic for YEARS! and switched recently to Airsonic. I use the android app dSub for my on-the-go streaming... also works with android auto.

::Update::
Looks like Airsonic might be abandoned.

Airsonic is done, but Airsonic Advanced is the current in development fork 

https://github.com/airsonic-advanced/airsonic-advanced

(2 months late to this party)
i use navidrome on my raspberry pi to stream to my phone. and than i have the subsonic addon in kodi so i can play the music in kodi as well.

tried ampache, funkwhale(never got it to work) and some others, all to bloated or not doing artwork in a nice way(ampache would download pixel art unless i manualy changed it, most likely user error but really anoying) navidrome was 2 seconds and it just worked. as long as you have the artwork in the tags or folder it shows up. uses the subsonic api so allot of the apps work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Self-hosted streaming alternative...with kodi?0