Kodi install in Arch distro
I'm about to reinstall my OS and want to give Kodi another run. I tried it a good while back and it was added in such away that it could be started at boot instead of my normal user if I chose Kodi. I want to avoid that. When I reboot I want to keep auto logging into my account and when I'm ready launch Kodi launch it from within my account. Is this possible, and if so do i need special instruction for doing it? Thanks
https://github.com/graysky2/kodi-standalone-service
?
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Thanks for the link, much appreciated. I decided since I'm going to reinstall the OS anyway to just take the leap and install Kodi and see what I get. Luck would have it that it doesn't get add to the users to be logged into. THat must of been a Ubuntu thing. Thanks again.
(2022-04-10, 16:07)Locutus64 Wrote: Luck would have it that it doesn't get add to the users to be logged into. THat must of been a Ubuntu thing. Thanks again.

No luck involved, it is by design.  The kodi executable can be run by any user with permissions.  The standalone package I built makes a 'kodi' user and that user runs it via the systemd service.  It's just an easy way to enable that use case.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2022-04-10, 16:07)Locutus64 Wrote: Thanks for the link, much appreciated. I decided since I'm going to reinstall the OS anyway to just take the leap and install Kodi and see what I get. Luck would have it that it doesn't get add to the users to be logged into. THat must of been a Ubuntu thing. Thanks again.

it's not, unless you talk about the long decprecated xbmcbuntu?
On normal ubuntu kodi will not autostart or add a special user.
(2022-04-10, 14:48)Locutus64 Wrote: I'm about to reinstall my OS and want to give Kodi another run. I tried it a good while back and it was added in such away that it could be started at boot instead of my normal user if I chose Kodi. I want to avoid that. When I reboot I want to keep auto logging into my account and when I'm ready launch Kodi launch it from within my account. Is this possible, and if so do i need special instruction for doing it? Thanks
Am I getting this all wrong? Would the `Kodi Standalone Service` be the WRONG choice for @Locutus64? He doesn't want his whole computer to function as a Kodi appliance. He wants to be able to use his computer as normal and then occasionally run Kodi like he would any other application? Hoping to clarify my understanding of the difference between kodi and kodi-standalone. The Kodi Arch wiki goes in to loads of detail about kodi-standalone and says little about just plain and simple Kodi... left me confused.

Flex
(2022-06-20, 01:50)flexmcmurphy Wrote:
(2022-04-10, 14:48)Locutus64 Wrote: I'm about to reinstall my OS and want to give Kodi another run. I tried it a good while back and it was added in such away that it could be started at boot instead of my normal user if I chose Kodi. I want to avoid that. When I reboot I want to keep auto logging into my account and when I'm ready launch Kodi launch it from within my account. Is this possible, and if so do i need special instruction for doing it? Thanks
Am I getting this all wrong? Would the `Kodi Standalone Service` be the WRONG choice for @Locutus64? He doesn't want his whole computer to function as a Kodi appliance. He wants to be able to use his computer as normal and then occasionally run Kodi like he would any other application? Hoping to clarify my understanding of the difference between kodi and kodi-standalone. The Kodi Arch wiki goes in to loads of detail about kodi-standalone and says little about just plain and simple Kodi... left me confused.

Flex

Flex, you are correct- he can use Kodi (or /usr/bin/kodi) as needed.

From the wiki you linked: "/usr/bin/kodi is meant to be run by any user on an on-demand basis. Use it like any other program on the system". There is a bigger section on the standalone service, true, but note that only section 3 (at time of writing) refers to standalone, the rest can be applied to Kodi in general.

For what it's worth, I've done both- I have Kodi set up as a standalone service running on a tiny thin client PC, and as a regular application elsewhere.

HTH

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi install in Arch distro0