Installing KODI on RPI 4
For having KODI running on RPI 4, is it mandatory to use LibreELEC or OSMC ?
Could I have it loaded as a "normal app" on a laptop?
I would like to maintain full control (like remote desktop) of RPI 4 even if Kodi is running. 
I tried both LibreELEC and OSMC but they introduce too many constraints that I can't control my RPI anymore ...

or am I loosing something?
(2022-04-10, 16:22)itz10vv Wrote: Could I have it loaded as a "normal app" on a laptop?

You can install Raspberry Pi OS (formerly knows as Raspbian) Bullseye, and then install Kodi.
FYI, Kodi will not be able to run in the background of other programs due to the newly video driver setup.
Thanks
And would it be possible to have Kodi running on Pi and outputting on HDMI 1, whereas I use window desktop on HDMI 0 ? (on a RPI 4 of course)
This is what I'm currently doing on my laptop, having Kodi on the extended display (and feeding HDMI output), whereas I work on the main display in windows mode ... too much for RPI 4?
Honestly, I have no idea. Again, Kodi may be running in a statefull mode, meaning running multiple programs at a time may be a challenge.
There is only one way to find out if it all works as per your wishes, and that is to try it out. Use a separate SDcard if necessary.
If you run Kodi under Raspi OS, basically PiOS is suspended and Kodi runs. At the end when you shutdown Kodi then PiOS comes back.

So no, you can't run the two via the different HDMI outputs concurrently.

Indeed I did notice that if you run Kodi and then shut down the Pi from it (without going back to Pi OS), things get a bit weird when you do boot PiOS up again, at least Chrome seems to have issues in displaying itself. It's easily fixed by opening Kodi and then closing it again, as that puts the graphics drivers back as they should be (which presumably doesn't happen if you just shut down from Kodi).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks both of you
So, from what I understand, it is worth to use the Pi only for running Kodi and the best way doing so is LibreELEC or maybe OSMC.
And then, the only way to interact with it (at which extent?) is via SSH
Then I could mount a NFS and use it for adding / removing videos (let's say "off-line") to be played by the Pi
You can already have LibreELEC (and probably OSMC as well) mount NFS sources at startup if necessary, I do that myself as well. Or mount them manually, whatever applies to your use case.

SSH is a backdoor for all maintenance and other background tasks. Interacting with Kodi itself can also be done with mobile phone apps or a web interface.
Thank you again ... I'm really a newbe  Confused
Should the NFS be a NAS mandatorily or is it possible to use a partition/area/USB Drive on a laptop? of course in the same subnetwork.
I'm going crazy to find out what the correct syntax is, including user/password authentication, but with no success ...
Every NAS and Linux PC/laptop OS supports NFS. If you can access it, you can use it as an NFS mount.
And NFS is less problematic than SMB, as you don't need to use passwords when mounting. All credentials are set on the NFS server.

Example mount from the client PC, say, LibreELEC:
Code:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.123:/media/drive/videos /storage/videos
(2022-04-11, 09:33)itz10vv Wrote: Thanks both of you
So, from what I understand, it is worth to use the Pi only for running Kodi and the best way doing so is LibreELEC or maybe OSMC.
And then, the only way to interact with it (at which extent?) is via SSH
Then I could mount a NFS and use it for adding / removing videos (let's say "off-line") to be played by the Pi
There's also https://xbian.org/ to consider (the homepage is a wee bit out of date - they focus on the software)
I don't know what do you want to do with Kodi. What I have done is I 've installed a docker and a JupyterLab   on a OSMC over the raspberry 4. Thus I can run different programs on different port in the different client. So I think you should clear what you want to do.
Arch Linux ARM is another option in addition to RPiOS and Xbian.  All depends on your preference of distro/package manager.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing KODI on RPI 40