Android Kodi data size so big after using Ember Media Manager
Hello All, 

I thought that updating all my Movies and TV Shows (around 5TB) using Ember Media Manager will make it easier and faster updating the KODI library.

It worked just fine and updating it using local nfo was great and fast but unfortunately i found that KODI App size increased massively to be over 2.5GB ! 

I am using KODI 19.3 at Mi Box S 4K which is 8GB causing a low disk space notification. 

Any idea how can i solve this issue ?
(2022-04-21, 10:13)MohamedYousri Wrote: i found that KODI App size increased massively to be over 2.5GB ! 
That would be the cached artwork.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-04-21, 10:18)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-04-21, 10:13)MohamedYousri Wrote: i found that KODI App size increased massively to be over 2.5GB ! 
That would be the cached artwork.
Yes that what i thought but why when using the online addons the size isn't that big ?
Online add-ons can create thumbs too. Are you using Kodi on Android with the Mi Box? Or perhaps CoreELEC or other Kodi flavor? Because 8GB of storage should then be more than enough.
But running Android will take a bigger part of that as OS system. Perhaps using an external 'thumb' drive for the cached thumbs via pathsubstitution can help.
(2022-04-21, 11:05)Klojum Wrote: Online add-ons can create thumbs too. Are you using Kodi on Android with the Mi Box? Or perhaps CoreELEC or other Kodi flavor? Because 8GB of storage should then be more than enough.
But running Android will take a bigger part of that as OS system. Perhaps using an external 'thumb' drive for the cached thumbs via pathsubstitution can help.

i am using Kodi downloaded from App Store at Mi Box S. 

is there any guide for pathsubstitution ? i am already using 5TB USB HDD so there is no problem to cache the data on it
See https://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution

There is no 100% guarantee it will work, people have had different outcomes.
(2022-04-21, 11:05)Klojum Wrote: Online add-ons can create thumbs too. Are you using Kodi on Android with the Mi Box? Or perhaps CoreELEC or other Kodi flavor? Because 8GB of storage should then be more than enough.

if a local movie directory of a single movie has posters and fanart, backgrounds, actors, extra fanart etc.. (e.g. total size = 3 MB)

does kodi cache all those files into kodi cache directory as well and total size also = 3 MB etc?
(2022-09-02, 05:19)madmax2 Wrote: does kodi cache all those files into kodi cache directory as well

In principle everything is cached locally for faster access. Thumbs are also somewhat compressed, so it's not a 1:1 copy.
(2022-09-02, 05:35)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-09-02, 05:19)madmax2 Wrote: does kodi cache all those files into kodi cache directory as well

In principle everything is cached locally for faster access. Thumbs are also somewhat compressed, so it's not a 1:1 copy.
oh wow if you got large library, that is quite significant amount of data ..
no wonder 8GB no longer suitable for many streaming devices nowadays.

where is thumbs shown in Kodi UI?

Is thumbs generated from the same local files (ie 3mb + thumbs data size of same files?)
(2022-09-02, 05:46)madmax2 Wrote: no wonder 8GB no longer suitable for many streaming devices nowadays.
The bulk of thumbs would come from TV episodes and from actors. The latter ones are at times stored multiple times, which isn't very efficient. Disabling the actor thumbs would help a bit. 8GB of thumbs would suggest quite an extensive video collection.

(2022-09-02, 05:46)madmax2 Wrote: where is thumbs shown in Kodi UI?
Huh? Everywhere in library mode. Backgrounds, fanart, actors, movie and tv show/episodes...

(2022-09-02, 05:46)madmax2 Wrote: Is thumbs generated from the same local files (ie 3mb + thumbs data size of same files?)
Thumbs are generated from available source material and/or downloaded via the scraper.
Hello All, 

is there any workaround for this and to keep the device memory not full ?! 

i want to keep the media library local only without need to update it via internet since it gives me a better control.
Hello All, 

Is this problem still exists till now ??!! even if i moved the Kodi to my external SSD connected to Mi Box ?!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi data size so big after using Ember Media Manager0