PLEX server cooperation with KODI player?
Hello

Is there a way to use a database created on a running PLEX server in KODI?

I'm not interested in the PLEX plugin for KODI. PLEX can't play media for me, but I can play these media in KODI on the same HW. At the same time, I really like KODI skins. Unfortunately, media management in KODI (either directly in KODI, or in TinyMediaManager, or MedieaElch) is literally tragic compared to PLEX.

I understand that we deal with different client and server models, but that would be an ideal way for me: Media management on a PLEX server and browsing using KODI
Have you looked into Plexkodiconnect:

https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect

I use it with "Direct Paths" and this allows me to maintain library via Plex, but able to direct stream in Kodi (ie, when you play in Kodi, it accesses the file directly, so plex is not used for transcoding, etc)

I have used it for 2+ years, and it has worked well for me.
(2022-04-22, 16:29)Gooorila Wrote: Hello

Is there a way to use a database created on a running PLEX server in KODI?

I'm not interested in the PLEX plugin for KODI. PLEX can't play media for me, but I can play these media in KODI on the same HW. At the same time, I really like KODI skins. Unfortunately, media management in KODI (either directly in KODI, or in TinyMediaManager, or MedieaElch) is literally tragic compared to PLEX.

I understand that we deal with different client and server models, but that would be an ideal way for me: Media management on a PLEX server and browsing using KODI

You might want to take a look at the Mezzmo Kodi addon .  I am the maintainer for it and it has uPNP support including for Plex.  I've tested it with Plex and have a Plex server running.  It integrates with the Kodi skins like a normal addon.  If you want to try it with Plex then you'll need to enable support for non-Mezzmo servers in the view tab in the settings.  You disable the "Only Show Mezzmo Servers" option.  You'll also need to enable DLNA in Plex if it isn't already.  The addon will attempt to grab all metadata that Plex presents.  It isn't as much as a Mexxmo server and won't have some of the extra cool Mezzmo features but a number of folks are using the addon with Plex for the reasons you mention. 

Please feel free to ask questions.  The Wiki has a ton of information.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Hello

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to run PlexKodiConnect and I'm only partially successful.

On one of the machines, after several attempts, I actually accessed the database managed by the PLEX server, and I was glad that there was a solution for me that I did not even hope for.

Unfortunately, I try to set up on other machines, but here without success. I upload the add-on, but I always stop to connect to the PLEX server. The add-on finds the server automatically, after selecting it I am asked to enter the PIN in PLEX, after entering it I will receive a confirmation that it was OK, but I am immediately on the screen where I have to select the server. And this is how I spin in a circle and about 20 times I paired the add-on with the PLEX server.

I also tried a manual connection to the server, but even here I always get to the point where the add-on wants to pair with a PIN and I can't get any further.

Unfortunately, thanks to several attempts, I no longer realize what I did to the first machine that the connection was successful. I updated the Plex server, tried to turn https on and off, uploaded a new KODI image and reinstalled the add-on ... without success.

Can't think of someone where I forgot something?
Maybe someone who is more of a Plex expert can assist with PlexKodiConnect ?  I believe it is supported directly by Plex and not the Kodi userbase.  Again, maybe someone else more familiar can weigh in.  If you end up trying the Mezzmo addon and running Plex in DLNA mode, I can assist.  Out of curiosity you mentioned running Plex and Kodi on the same hardware, what OS are you running on ?

Good luck,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Hello

I keep this variant as a backup, if I can't start PlexKodiConnect. The PLEX server now runs on my NAS, so the server part is solved for me and I don't have to deal with how to install MEZZMO on this HW. Another benefit is that I have been using PLEX for several years, so I know its environment.

But I do not rule out this variant either. I just let myself be soothed by the initial success Smile.

At home I work on 1x Raspberry Pi 4, 1x Raspberry Pi 3B, 2x Raspberry Pi 1B. I have LibreElec on these machines. I also use 1x Android Box Canal plus box with Android and 1x box X96 mini with CoreElec.

Only 3 TVs are active, so I'm just playing with the others on the table. The PLEX interface is not a problem with any of the machines, but repeatedly there is a problem with server certificates. Another problem is that I come across formats that PLEX cannot play, but KODI plays these files on the same machine without any problems. That is why the departure from PLEX, but as I mentioned, media management at KODI is catastrophic in my view.
(2022-05-02, 08:38)Gooorila Wrote: Hello

I keep this variant as a backup, if I can't start PlexKodiConnect. The PLEX server now runs on my NAS, so the server part is solved for me and I don't have to deal with how to install MEZZMO on this HW. Another benefit is that I have been using PLEX for several years, so I know its environment.

But I do not rule out this variant either. I just let myself be soothed by the initial success Smile.

At home I work on 1x Raspberry Pi 4, 1x Raspberry Pi 3B, 2x Raspberry Pi 1B. I have LibreElec on these machines. I also use 1x Android Box Canal plus box with Android and 1x box X96 mini with CoreElec.

Only 3 TVs are active, so I'm just playing with the others on the table. The PLEX interface is not a problem with any of the machines, but repeatedly there is a problem with server certificates. Another problem is that I come across formats that PLEX cannot play, but KODI plays these files on the same machine without any problems. That is why the departure from PLEX, but as I mentioned, media management at KODI is catastrophic in my view.

Ok.  Mezzmo is Windows based and won't run directly on a NAS anyway unless the NAS can run a VM with Windows or WINE on Linux (I've never test this but others have).  It would be nice if Mezzmo would release a version that runs on NAS natively like Plex.  Good luck getting he Plex Kodi clients running.    That is an advantage of Mezzmo where it doesn't have complicated authentication schemes nor requires an Internet based account.  I understand your affinity for Plex's library management.  I too am fond of Mezzmo's and the flexibility it provides and would be reluctant to change. 

Am I understanding your comment about initial success that you tried the Mezzmo Kodi addon successfully ? 

Jeff
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794

Read the first post and see if this meets your needs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEX server cooperation with KODI player?0