Kodi on a Steam Deck!
(2022-07-14, 20:37)ogremalfeitor Wrote: whereas in game mode the gamepad works perfect but sound is silent, although kodi shows all the pulseaudio devices as it should (the default, the speakers and headphone jack with the long name, and any bluetooth headphones when I have them connected).

I don't know if it's a kodi problem
Interestingly, running Kodi under Android 10 (LineageOS 17.1 TV) on my Nintendo Switch has all of these same odd behaviors, down to the right stick controlling audio volume. That's super weird.
(2022-10-29, 07:02)interwebz Wrote:
(2022-07-14, 20:37)ogremalfeitor Wrote: whereas in game mode the gamepad works perfect but sound is silent, although kodi shows all the pulseaudio devices as it should (the default, the speakers and headphone jack with the long name, and any bluetooth headphones when I have them connected).

I don't know if it's a kodi problem
Interestingly, running Kodi under Android 10 (LineageOS 17.1 TV) on my Nintendo Switch has all of these same odd behaviors, down to the right stick controlling audio volume. That's super weird.

not sure that's weird, has been the default behavior of the right stick forever, at least in kodi
An update as I finally got to use the Steam Deck with Kodi as a traveling companion.  In this scenario I'd previously spent some months doing 'aggressive encodes' of files from my main Kodi Library, so as to jam pack a MicroSD card with shows.  This is all like RF30 HEVC at 720p. (My two Xeon E5-2697v2 powered systems have been very busy!) The idea being make it 'Good enough' for a 7" TV or to watch from a across a hotel room.  Maximizing total run time stored on the MicroSD card at the cost of quality but keeping it 'passable'.  So now the Steam Deck with Kodi and the MicroSD card, is a 'Travel Entertainment Survival Kit'.  Games, TV and movies, all in one machine, handheld or docked to a display, no Wifi needed as all media files are local.  Use it on a train or a plane for shows or dock it to a hotel TV.

Now, of course, you could do this with other devices, but I feel this lets me converge two devices.  What would normally be a Nintendo Switch for games and an Android Tablet for media is a singular device that's far more flexible since it's 'Just a PC'.  (Why can't a stock Switch play media files, the PSP could afterall!)

A big advantage here is that Kodi itself has no real reliance on internet access other than for scraping and certain addons. But if you have all your metadata before going out the door, Kodi will work in the most isolated travel situation imaginable as long as you have access to electricity. I think a lot of North Americans would have found such a setup was a real savior some days ago.

So the flatpack is working very well, also in gaming mode after adding the VAAPI parameter, but I have a weird problem: When launching Kodi from Gaming mode the GUI is slow randomly, like sometimes it is fine sometimes it is slow. If slow, I can workaround it changing from Fullscreen to Windowed and back. Anybody else has noticed this?
(2023-01-14, 22:52)larsete Wrote: So the flatpack is working very well, also in gaming mode after adding the VAAPI parameter, but I have a weird problem: When launching Kodi from Gaming mode the GUI is slow randomly, like sometimes it is fine sometimes it is slow. If slow, I can workaround it changing from Fullscreen to Windowed and back. Anybody else has noticed this?

Yup, same problem here.  Doesn't ALWAYS happen on startup either, but when it does, some shift in resolution of Fullscreen does the trick.  Annoying honestly.  I should go disable the VAAPI parameter and see if that makes a difference, I've never tried to seriously hunt down the cause.
(2023-01-17, 09:53)MatrickEganlyx Wrote: I just don't get it, I've never been a fan of gyro controls on any device. The last thing I want to do while sitting on my sofa and enjoying a game is to be waving the Steam Deck around to aim. It seems so over the top. I can't focus on the screen properly as it's moving around so it actually makes me worse in an FPS.

Then don't?  The user inputs on the Steam Deck are all highly configurable, you can just change your configuration.  You as the user have absolutely freedom to map the controls as you want.  I put The Sims 2 on mine and mapped an analog sticks Y-axis to sent a repeated sequence of 'Center Mouse Hold And Drag up or down' so as to control the camera zoom level.

So just change it.
And with Kodi V20 out, that brings hardware AV1 decoding to the Steam Deck.

For a mobile, 2022 device, a chip that was being shopped around for customers by AMD as early as 2020, the Steam Deck is surprisingly future proof on this front.  In 2022 AMD released two desktop GPUs, the RX 6400 and RX 6500, believed to have been originally designed to be higher end discrete mobile chips, and they don't even have AV1 decode.  That's despite them being the same RDNA2 process as the Steam Deck's graphics chip.  Wild.

(2023-01-14, 22:52)larsete Wrote: So the flatpack is working very well, also in gaming mode after adding the VAAPI parameter, but I have a weird problem: When launching Kodi from Gaming mode the GUI is slow randomly, like sometimes it is fine sometimes it is slow. If slow, I can workaround it changing from Fullscreen to Windowed and back. Anybody else has noticed this?

Have you experienced this issue since v20 flatpak was released?  It was always intermittent but now I can't recreate it.
Haven't upgraded yet, but glad to hear it seems solved in v20!
(2023-01-25, 00:50)larsete Wrote: Haven't upgraded yet, but glad to hear it seems solved in v20!
Let's say 'Think it's solved.'  I found it only happened like 50% of the time, you could exit and restart and maybe it didn't happen.  So I wanna see it not happen for some time.
Quote:When launching Kodi from Gaming mode the GUI is slow randomly, like sometimes it is fine sometimes it is slow. If slow, I can workaround it changing from Fullscreen to Windowed and back. Anybody else has noticed this?

I haven't encountered that problem with v20.0.0.

What I have encountered is no GUI sounds, even though they are enabled in settings. Tried a different sounds set too, but to no avail.
By the way, I have the same problem on Apple TV, which is one of the reasons why I still use 20180227 build there, as this one does have GUI sounds on Apple TV.
Anyway, that's a minor issue really.

Other than that, once --env=LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=radeonsi is set, Kodi runs on Steam Deck very well indeed.
Can also access media files from my network shares via SMB and SFTP (as expected), but strangely it failed to connect to a FTPS share, even though that very same share connects fine from Kodi on Apple TV.
Read in the LibreELEC (Nexus) 11.0 release news on phoronix.com which surprisingly mentions "Steam Deck controls support":

https://www.phoronix.com/news/LibreELEC-11-Released

However, the official LibreELEC (Nexus) 11.0 release announcement on libreelec.tv website does not mention Steam Deck control?

https://libreelec.tv/2023/03/06/libreelec-nexus-11-0-0/

FYI, previously posted a request asking garbear about full controller driver/mapping peripheral to the Steam Deck for kodi-game:

https://github.com/kodi-game/peripheral..../issues/22

PS: With "kodi-game" I mean conrtoller profile with button mappings Kodi's RetroPlayer (i.e. Kodi's built-in gaming infrastructure):
- https://kodi.wiki/view/Game_development
https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick
https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=194
- https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=292
Wondering if anyone here figured out a way to get Bluray menus work on steam deck. I installed java on my system but Kodi won't detect it
I'm probably just repeating the same thing but I'm just so pleased with it.  Kodi really is an amazing companion for the Steam Deck.  I've been encoding more and more 'Passable 720p' Content for it and now have 3 months of content on a single 512GB MicroSD card.  The YouTube app is a nice add if you have internet access too.

So here's Kodi on my Steam Deck, as I flew to Linus Tech Expo, which allowed me to watch the previous night's Star Trek Strange New World's as I didn't have time to watch it the night before since I had to pack and wake for 5:30am that morning.

And in the Hotel, which literally only featured analog cable for the TV and no smart functions, I had my own media library, YouTube and games.  I didn't get to watch the 'Live WAN SHow' at LTX due to seating constraints but Kodi on the Steam Deck let me watch it later that night after I'd grabbed some Donair.  I had worked the bugs out of the FLIRC on my dock so even the IR remote worked flawlessly.

Why not Kodi on a Steam Deck, on a train, and at eye level using a suction cup mount from iBolt?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on a Steam Deck!0