What do you guys think about the ODROID-M1?
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-m...gbyte-ram/

So this think is pretty affordable, has a bunch of ram, a m2 slot. It doesn't look like it's compatible with corelec. I'm not sure if anyone else like librelec provide a linux image? hardkernel offers a android image so maybe kodi can be installed from there? Do you guys think this will play most 4k files? I have a few where the colors look off on the rpi4. the n2+ 4gb is out of stock I know people here like that one. But thi is in stock and has a nice case.
(2022-04-26, 19:16)calev Wrote: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-m...gbyte-ram/

hardkernel offers a android image so maybe kodi can be installed from there?

Of course Kodi can be installed, as on any other Android 11 SBC/BOX...
But what about the playback ability? any good? competitive with other boxes? you think kodi would run well on the ubuntu build?
Don't know, don't have this STB; ask your questions on Odroid M1 forum.
CoreElec is Amlogic so I suspect you would be thinking LibreElec support.  My experience with all ARM devices (RPi included) if you want to run the native vendor supported OS or Android, Kodi won't have the necessary h/w playback.  That is why LE, CE, OSMC etc exist.

Martin
I'd ask here : https://forum.libreelec.tv/board/43-rockchip/ 

The M1 looks to be based on a different RockChip SoC to the SBCs that currently have LibreElec support - so it may well depend on Rockchip and/or Harkernel support for LE to be ported to this platform?
(2022-04-27, 04:31)emveepee Wrote: CoreElec is Amlogic so I suspect you would be thinking LibreElec support.  My experience with all ARM devices (RPi included) if you want to run the native vendor supported OS or Android, Kodi won't have the necessary h/w playback.  That is why LE, CE, OSMC etc exist.

Martin

I'm running Kodi on 2 Android versions, official by Hardkernel and a community version on my N2 & N2+ (ARM) and Kodi has all "necessary h/w playback" possibilities.
CE, LE, OSMC mainly exist due to Google's phone OS restrictions (which are becoming more and more ridiculous for a media-player device). But comparing Kodi on CE vs Android performance, there is not much difference on enough powered devices.
(2022-04-27, 11:09)Sholander Wrote:
(2022-04-27, 04:31)emveepee Wrote: CoreElec is Amlogic so I suspect you would be thinking LibreElec support.  My experience with all ARM devices (RPi included) if you want to run the native vendor supported OS or Android, Kodi won't have the necessary h/w playback.  That is why LE, CE, OSMC etc exist.

Martin

I'm running Kodi on 2 Android versions, official by Hardkernel and a community version on my N2 & N2+ (ARM) and Kodi has all "necessary h/w playback" possibilities.
CE, LE, OSMC mainly exist due to Google's phone OS restrictions (which are becoming more and more ridiculous for a media-player device). But comparing Kodi on CE vs Android performance, there is not much difference on enough powered devices.
Historically - wasn't one of the issues with Android vs CoreElec the more restricted audio functionality in Android - or do the AMLogic Android + Kodi options include Dolby True HD (+ Atmos)  and DTS HD MA/HRA (or DTS:x) passthrough OK?

On some platforms - though probably not AMLogic - frame rate switching and deinterlacing were also issues in Android ISTR?

Though vendor kernels often support hardware acceleration in Android ISTR - unlike general Linux imlpementations?
(2022-04-27, 12:25)noggin Wrote:
(2022-04-27, 11:09)Sholander Wrote: I'm running Kodi on 2 Android versions, official by Hardkernel and a community version on my N2 & N2+ (ARM) and Kodi has all "necessary h/w playback" possibilities.
Historically - wasn't one of the issues with Android vs CoreElec the more restricted audio functionality in Android - or do the AMLogic Android + Kodi options include Dolby True HD (+ Atmos)  and DTS HD MA/HRA (or DTS:x) passthrough OK?

On some platforms - though probably not AMLogic - frame rate switching and deinterlacing were also issues in Android ISTR?

Yes, historically; nowadays there is not much difference when it comes to audio passthrough formats:

Same goes for frame-rate switching and deinterlacing, but it all depends on device, Kodi version and Android version.
Above photo is from N2 with official Kodi 19.4, running on community build LinageOS 18.1 ATV (Android 11). Since there is no Kodi Android developer, another Kodi build that covers all above comes from German Kodi.nerds community.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do you guys think about the ODROID-M1?0