Creating a NAS for KODI
Hi, I have 2 broadband connections at my home. I have recently installed RPI4 with Kodi in my bedroom and would like to attach an external hard disk for upto 4 TB and want to access it wirelessly on my PC to add movies and music instead of manually removing the HD each time to add content. In India still the WIFI's are slow so it is always good to opt for wired connection for better speed and broadband.

Is there any step by step process if someone can guide me to - As my PC is into ISP 1 and the KODI am talking about installed in the bedroom is on ISP 2. Therefore, my query is ----

How can I access the attached Hard disk in my bedroom wirelessly as a NAS on my PC which is connected with ISP 2 ?
(2022-05-01, 08:34)rajivaryan1984 Wrote: In India still the WIFI's are slow so it is always good to opt for wired connection for better speed and broadband.

I don't see the need for 2 ISPs in one household to begin with, but I'm probably overlooking something.
External network access and a local network are two different things, and use different IP address pools.
I'd say you are making things way too complicated for just watching videos in the (bed)room next door.

Do you have a switch/router attached to either ISP connection? If so, why not create a 2nd network setup in the PC, so you can connect to the "other network" when necessary?
Klojum the need to have 2 ISP's and reason behind the same and all is my choice and I can't write long notes to explain.

Yes both the ISP's have router access. 

My ask is simple - One of my KODI is on ISP 1 and I want to connect it's external hard drive attached to it wirelessly through my PC which is connected to ISP 2.

Now please help me understand what is the bets way to do the same
(2022-05-01, 10:29)rajivaryan1984 Wrote: reason behind the same and all is my choice and I can't write long notes to explain.
That's all fine, I'm just trying to figure out what the options and possibilities are. We are not using a crystal ball on this forum. Because of that, I also have no idea what OS you are running on your RPi4 since you will need to set up a file server on that device.

(2022-05-01, 10:29)rajivaryan1984 Wrote: My ask is simple - One of my KODI is on ISP 1 and I want to connect it's external hard drive attached to it wirelessly through my PC which is connected to ISP 2.
The question may be simple, the answer can become quite complicated. AFAICT, you will need to take the "the long way home": connect your 2nd setup to your 1st setup via the internet. That also means opening ports on both routers for whatever file protocol you want to use to connect. Since there is a Windows machine involved, using the SMB protocol is the most likely candidate. By default, that will come down to ports 445 + 139.

Mind you, opening the doors on a router connected to everyone on the internet will also give you some extra network security challenges. You will have to put up firewalls on both devices if you don't want people visiting your home computer network. Obviously, that whole part falls beyond the realm of Kodi support. An extra network cable that you plug directly into the other router when necessary seems a lot easier and faster than having your media collection making a roundtrip around the internet globe. Just my 0.02c.
Ok let me make that easy so that it is not complicated. I have attached an external drive to my Raspberry Pi which runs KODI.

I have a windows PC and would like to connect to that external drive as it is the source for my KODI. Without every time removing and again adding the external drive to the Raspberry Pi manually, I want to access the drive through my PC to save and delete files.

Please suggest....
(2022-05-01, 14:45)rajivaryan1984 Wrote: Ok let me make that easy so that it is not complicated.

I understood your request already from your previous replies. But you seemed to ignore or perhaps not grasp my general suggestions regarding ports on your router setups in my previous reply.

Kodi itself is only an application, it is not a whole operating system. A RPi4 with Kodi is typically run on operating systems like LibreELEC, OSMC, Raspbian, RPiOS, Xbian, RetroPie, etcetera. Each of them have file server capabilities but everyone has a slightly different approach.

As far as the connection between the two goes: both your devices will have a WAN network address via their routers of their providers on the Internet. You'll need the Windows PC ISP IP address to connect to your RPi4 box. How deep is your knowledge of computer networks in general?
You'll need the Windows PC ISP IP address to connect to your RPi4 box - This is exactly I am looking for
There are websites for that: https://www.whatismyip-address.com/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creating a NAS for KODI0