Adding extra data to my movie library?
Normally, the data for each movie in my Kodi library comes from scrapers that read TMDB, etc.

Question: is there some way I can add extra notes for some films in my library? How about URLs to film reviews or other sites?

I looked at the details on NFO files, but I don't see anything about this, i.e., which tags I would use, or how to represent URLs.

Thanks!
Nfo files are only suplementary files. For starters, you'll have to extend/expand the video SQL database with one or more text fields for your wishes. Then you'll need to adjust the SQL queries and Kodi source code and the skin you are using to reflect the extra information.

And all that will not be supported when a newer Kodi version with a newer database version comes along, unless you are willing to put in the effort of creating PRs for all affected parts.
Thanks. I'm fairly comfortable with SQL, though I haven't looked under the hood of Kodi to see what sorts of queries are being used.

Are there any add-ons that do something like this? Searching this forum, I found reference to an "ExtendedInfo" add-on, but I couldn't find more details and it is perhaps defunct.

I'm going to ask a dumb question: what is involved in a PR? Would this be a request to change the basic Kodi build?
Expanding the video and/or music database can be done via so-called PR requests. it then will involve making changes to the core code of Kodi, so that everyone can benefit. Changes that will need the approval of Team Kodi before the PRs are accepted.

There are no such add-ons AFAIK. The only other community alternate database change is the 5-user MySQL setup. It's expanding the number of MySQL users for Kodi, but as expected, there is no official support for that users extension.

"What is involved in a PR?" Kodi's application code is handled via Github. Everyone can fork Kodi and subsequently write and submit their changes, fixes and new features which will be again under the scrutiny of Team Kodi.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm already on GitHub and published an app there once.

I could fork Kodi, figure out whether it's Python or C++ that needs to be twiddled, and make my changes, but then until and unless I persuade Team Kodi to integrate the changes, I would be maintaining a parallel version, which I'd have to somehow get into my media server for testing.

To justify this effort, I would want to know if there is team interest in the first place, but that seems like a difficult question
(2022-05-09, 21:01)mrob Wrote: Are there any add-ons that do something like this? Searching this forum, I found reference to an "ExtendedInfo" add-on, but I couldn't find more details and it is perhaps defunct.

The extendedinfo script that is in the Kodi repo only works for Kodi Leia and previous releases.  I have updated it for Matrix + and fixed some changes in the api (addon primarily uses tmdb).  It is in my unofficial Aeon MQ5 skin mod repo.  I have submitted it to the Kodi script repo but it hasn't been accepted at this time.

There are skins that do use other addons to get info you might be interested seeing, so do check out the addon skin forums to see what's out there.

As you note, the Kodi-supplied scrapers mainly get info that works in the existing Kodi database schema.  Extending that, absent a change to Kodi (takes developer who is interested and has technical skill to implement) the typical route is to create a python addon that retrieves info to an addon managed cache or db, then provides the info that skin developer can use to display that info to the user.  Details for that are typically discussed in the skin development forum.  Check out for example skin helper service.

Personally, I would like to see actor info like we have for music artists, but that would require a lot of work.

scott s.
Hey, thanks for these pointers. How can I get more info on extendedInfo and the other addons you mentioned? I did some searches but didn't find much.

I'm on Kodi 19.4 and just using the basic Estuary skin now.

What I'd like to do is pretty simple: be able to add NFO files for movies that could each contain a couple of paragraphs of text, like extra review comments, and have some way to see these when I browse movies.
Try in here... https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=300
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding extra data to my movie library?0