v19 Updated to 19.4 now Kodi crashes when I try to shut it down + 1 other
I've been holding off upgrading Kodi for fear of issues with v19. However, I finally bit the bullet and now when I try to shut down Kodi it goes into a "loop" using 5% CPU but never actually shutting down. I have to kill it via task manager. Kodi is installed on my PC. The content is on a different PC.

Also, every time I look at info for upcoming movies Kodi pops up a window, to play the trailer I assume. How do I disable this?

Thanks
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Here is the log. Unredacted, no extracts.

https://paste.kodi.tv/ilakusulop.kodi
(2022-05-10, 04:55)Yanta Wrote: info for upcoming movies Kodi pops up a window, to play the trailer I assume. How do I disable this?
This is a non standard function, likely one of those many add-ons or modifications of the base code is responsible.
(2022-05-10, 04:55)Yanta Wrote: to shut down Kodi it goes into a "loop" using 5% CPU but never actually shutting down.
Kodi is waiting for a handshake or acknowledgment from an exterior source call which never comes.

Suggest in this case, use a Portable mode (wiki) installation, ensure it's functionality and closure without issue. Given success, one would presume your issue is with the multitude of add-ons, overlays and plugins. At this point you could either start re-installing those extras with an eye for the closure issue on the portable, OR disable foreign add-ons one at a time looking to end the issue (this is harder to do, given that the code already in play, and would entail full shut-down and start-up on each test). Once the offender is discovered, suggest you post in the forum of that extra your concerns for a fix.
I haven't made any modifications to the base code. IIRC, I installed maybe 6-8 addons. (Node editor, skin, search etc). I notice that 19.4 disabled many add ons.

Installing Kodi in portable mode on the same PC as an installed version overwrites the registry keys at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Kodi  (and possibly others), which breaks the installed version. If I am going to need to do that I may as well just install Kodi from scratch and start again.

So I will uninstall everything, clean up the left overs, install 19.4 and set up my library from scratch. With my library that will take an entire day (at least it did on 18.9).

I did some more testing and I found that if I do not update the library it will exit normally in around 10 seconds.
If I do an update, regardless of whether any new content is found, Kodi will not shut down.
Due to other issues I had with 18.9 I always clean my library as soon as I start Kodi. Cleaning in 19.4 is faster, but it will also cause Kodi to not shutdown.

My network is all 10G. Typical file transfer speeds are 600 MB/s - 1.1GB/s (Yes, I mean Bytes). My Internet is FTTP 100/20.
(2022-05-11, 02:46)Yanta Wrote: haven't made any modifications to the base code
Just terminology, the add-ons, overlays or some code corruption is at point.
(2022-05-11, 02:46)Yanta Wrote: which breaks the installed version.
Shouldn't have any issues with a portable installation, I run 5-6 versions all portable and swing between each without issue.
(2022-05-11, 02:46)Yanta Wrote: I found that if I do not update the library it will exit normally in around 10 seconds.
Pretty normal behavior to shut down, close out background tasks and complete the log. Updating library issues might have issues with various scrapers or some file corruption in the media.I have seen this issue with various forms of .rar files, seems there where a lot of different versions, also watch out for HD failure and of course networking if your files are not local.
(2022-05-11, 02:46)Yanta Wrote: set up my library from scratch. With my library that will take an entire day
If you export your library to separate files, you can pull in the library loclally into a new build pretty quick. A humongous lib might take ~2-3 hours. I regularly re-build in about that time.
Thanks for your feedback. Please let me respond to each point.

In 18.9 this problem is not present.

The content is on a network server Win2012 R2 running over a 10G network with fiber between the switches.

I can run portable along side an installed copy. The problem was I uninstalled the portable version because it wasn't doing for me what I wanted (which was a way to handle TV shows that are offline as well as online). Once I uninstalled the portable version it broke the installed version.

No HD issues. There is 170TB of storage across internally installed and a USB 3.2 Gen2 4-Bay enclosure. No drive is older than 12 months, all are 12TB or greater and in 100% health.

The library was exported to separate files.

There are no .rar files All .mkv, .mp4, m2ts, or avi.. Uh, actually, some ISOs for 3D content.

Ok - to the current status. I installed Kodi from scratch.
No additional addons. No tweaks at all actually.
Created the Movies and TV Shows nodes.
Kodi crashes when attempting to shut it down. It's actually worse. Before it just sat there chewing CPU and doing nothing. Now it goes to "not responding", chews CPU and any key press will crash it to desktop.

I think I will go back to 18.9 for now. I only use Kodi as a "catalog" anyway so other than cleaning the library being quicker I didn't see anything I need in v19.4.
(2022-05-12, 13:30)Yanta Wrote: In 18.9 this problem is not present.
The jump to Python 3 support from Python2 has cause a multitude of add-ons to fail, and devs have been told for years this was coming.
(2022-05-12, 13:30)Yanta Wrote: problem was I uninstalled the portable version
I manually uninstall with a click of the delete function, perhaps some needed software went up in smoke using uninstaller. Subsequent versions are now crippled?
(2022-05-12, 13:30)Yanta Wrote: Once I uninstalled the portable version it broke the installed version.
Sounds about right. Needed support libs/dlls are gone.
(2022-05-12, 13:30)Yanta Wrote: I will go back to 18.9 for now. I only use Kodi as a "catalog" anyway so other than cleaning the library being quicker I didn't see anything I need in v19.4.
If it's not broke, don't fix it has always been my motto. Suggest in the future, should an update be in cards, use portable mode; ensure it's functionality in a base vanilla format before diluting the code with add-ons and overlays, given that you export to separate file start with a fresh library it should be a relatively quick operation.
I "installed" the portable version per instructions I found here. It was on my G:\ Drive. The properly installed version was on C:\Program Files. Does the portable version use a shared location with the installed version for libs and DLLs? I thought the whole point of the portable version was that it was completely autonomous to the installed version. Well, uninstalling the portable version proved that wasn't true as it totally bricked the installed version.

Simply deleting the folder(s) left the registry entries that pointed to the portable version, which incidentally, had originally pointed to the installed version but had been overwritten by the portable version. This stuff does my head in Smile

I will use a different PC to test a new version on. As I said, I don't use it as a media player as it's not that good. I have a couple of other PCs I could use as test PCs

But given a fresh vanilla install with no tweaks or addons installed still didn't work, IMHO, Kodi is not stable in my type of environment - that is; where the content is not on the same PC as Kodi.

Part of the reason I did the upgrade is that my brother is still using Krypton (17.6). Since I was going to upgrade so that we were on the same version I thought I may as well see if we can both go to the latest. The experience wasn't a total waste of time. I know now that I can only upgrade him as far as 18.9
(2022-05-13, 02:49)Yanta Wrote: IMHO, Kodi is not stable in my type of environment
I didn't follow your install/unistall etc... I don't play around with the registry.
(2022-05-13, 02:49)Yanta Wrote: portable version use a shared location with the installed version for libs and DLLs?
In a portable mode instillation everything is kept in the designated folder. Should you not put the -p flag (e.g. C:\Kodi-19\Kodi\kodi.exe -p) in properties of the launch shortcut icon, Kodi will use the roaming folder for user-data. You need a windows dll api-ms-win-crt-locate-11-1-0-dll to run kodi which is included and available via Windows update so we recommend checking for updates in your computer. (the link to the MS site has a link for manually install Visual C++ 2015 redistributable). Nothing is shared between Kodi portable installations except the operating system itself and the few routines Kodi uses within.
(2022-05-13, 02:49)Yanta Wrote: uninstalling the portable version proved that wasn't true as it totally bricked the installed version.
That would be the first I've heard, it just doesn't happen. Launching immediately without the -p flag will revert to the installed version.
(2022-05-13, 02:49)Yanta Wrote: the portable version, which incidentally, had originally pointed to the installed version
I suspect the -p flag was not in play, and the uni-installer routines have compromised the code base and all installations are no longer trusted.
(2022-05-13, 02:49)Yanta Wrote: don't use it as a media player as it's not that good.
Maybe in your hands with your equipment, but you can remedy this and enjoy the best media player with a little diligence.
The -p flag was most definitely in play!

I installed Kodi to C:\Program Files and set up my library.
Some years later after trying several options to be able to catalog online and offline TV I gave up and just installed Kodi portable and ran two databases; One for online content, the other for offline content. The portable Kodi had its content on the G:\Drive with the portable copy of Kodi.

After a year or so that was not working for me and it was tedious maintaining two copies of things I decided to uninstall the portable version. At that point the installed version was bricked.

I've never met an application yet that ever uninstalls properly. This is why third party tools Like Revo Uninstaller exist. But installing a program to uninstall programs just seems dumb to me so I clean up manually.

While traversing the registry one day I noticed that all of the registry entries from the C:\ drive install had been overwritten with those from the G:\ drive portable install.

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to using Kodi, but I'm not a complete idiot!

My media-PC equipment includes a 12700K CPU, 32GB 3600C16 RAM, a RTX2070S, a 4K HDR 3D TV and a Yamaha RX-V767 receiver. HDMI Cables are 2.0b. Compared to the audio and video quality using PotPlayer Kodi doesn't look or sound as good. Kodi is also considerably slower.

Anyway, for now, the resolution is stay with 18.9. Topic closed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated to 19.4 now Kodi crashes when I try to shut it down + 1 other0