How could I make Kodi not slowing down the computer?
I just made the update from 19.3 to 19.4 again (portable use). After starting and closing Kodi Kodi goes on running in the background:

It extremely slows down the computer so I cannot go on working / using with it:

Is it like it should be? How could I make Kodi not slowing down the computer?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
How are you closing Kodi? to have proper shutdown of all Kodi processes you should use the power button within Kodi, if you have Kodi in a window and simply use the x on the window then you risk Kodi not cleanly closing.
I'll send the log later.

Quote:How are you closing Kodi?
I would say, like any other program. By pressing ALT+F4.

Quote:to have proper shutdown of all Kodi processes you should use the power button within Kodi, if you have Kodi in a window and simply use the x on the window then you risk Kodi not cleanly closing.

How should a "normal" user know that? Programs generally can be closed with ALT+F4 and clicking that cross. Why not Kodi? What sense does that make? Using that power button is much to laborious, I would think. Actually I could not believe it is used at all.

This is that power button?

With "Ausschalten" is meant close / shut down Win or Kodi? And "Ausschalt-Timer" is for Kodi or Win? Clicking that power button itself does not cause any action.
In Estuary you get

So it's the Exit option.

I don't know that skin you are using.

This should be used to ensure clean termination of all Kodi processes, this can sometimes be processes that come from the addons.

Not sure exactly what ALT+F4 and clicking that cross does on a technical level, so not sure if we can influence how those operate, or whether that is soley under the Windows OS control. If solely under the Windows OS control then there's probably nothing we can do to prevent Kodi processes from sometimes hanging if you choose to use ALT+F4 or the X.
You seem to have a non-default skin active. Which might also have its own background processes that interfere with the shutdown process. A debug log (wiki) is welcome.
When using ALT+F4 and clicking the X, from a Kodi POV think of it as like pulling the the power cord from your PC to shutdoiwn your PC, rather than using the Windows shutdown button, you can do it but it could cause problems as it doesn't give opportunity for a clean shutdown.
(2022-05-18, 12:05)jjd-uk Wrote: When using ALT+F4 and clicking the X, from a Kodi POV think of it as like pulling the the power cord from your PC to shutdoiwn your PC, rather than using the Windows shutdown button, you can do it but it could cause problems as it doesn't give opportunity for a clean shutdown.
ALT-F4 and the X both send windows message WM_CLOSE to Kodi.  Kodi handles in WinEventsWin32.cpp, assuming Kodi hasn't hung blocking receipt of input, and that initiates a QUIT, to the main application.cpp thread, same as if the UI was used or the builtin Quit.  Note Kodi also provides a builtin Shutdown, which can be modified as a system setting in Kodi.

If ALT+F4 doesn't close Kodi cleanly, I think there is a thread hung.

scott s.
There's a definite difference in behaviour, when I'm working on Kodi dev stuff I'll frequently uses the X to close Kodi quickly, but I have Process Manager open as often the Kodi task is not ended so I need to end manually the task before I can reopen Kodi. When using the UI this never ever happens.
(2022-05-20, 09:43)jjd-uk Wrote: There's a definite difference in behaviour, when I'm working on Kodi dev stuff I'll frequently uses the X to close Kodi quickly, but I have Process Manager open as often the Kodi task is not ended so I need to end manually the task before I can reopen Kodi. When using the UI this never ever happens.
This behaviour i can confirm.
Agree that by observation it isn't the same. but looking at logs it isn't just terminating like killing a process either.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How could I make Kodi not slowing down the computer?0