Does the language add-on is only for the Kodi Core ?
Question 
Hi
It can be good that the language add-on could install all the languages for all the plugins using Weblate.
Maybe the add-on could detect the plugins installed on Kodi ?
French Kodi translator on Weblate
There is no "one" language add-on. We've created separate language add-ons so that changes and updates can done more swiftly, and also to avoid one big blob as a total memory hog.

I'm not sure how a language detection add-on would work better than the current manual user language selection.
It's not my question
It can be good if the language (french for exemple) of all add-on are in the kodi langage add-on. For now, it's only for the core.
Only one language but all language files dedicaced for its proper add-on.
(2022-06-01, 22:35)skypichat Wrote: It can be good if the language (french for exemple) of all add-on are in the kodi langage add-on.

Either you don't have a full grasp of how Kodi's languague add-ons are set up, or I have no clue what your question is about. Perhaps someone else can give his view on things. @Gade ?!?
For now, a developer need to update its plugin to update the language of its plugin. Right !
It's for this reason, I think that a plugin needs to do that for all plugin, not only for the core of kodi.
So you want.the Kodi core language add-ons to have every possible translation every addon may use?
I'm not exactly sure what the question is.

If you want the Kodi language addons to include all translations from all addons that's simply not possible due to the amount of strings and work it would require.
That would mean adding more than 17.000 strings (now they are 4200+ strings) to each Kodi language addon, resulting in huge files.
(2022-06-06, 10:41)Gade Wrote: I'm not exactly sure what the question is.

If you want the Kodi language addons to include all translations from all addons that's simply not possible due to the amount of strings and work it would require.
That would mean adding more than 17.000 strings (now they are 4200+ strings) to each Kodi language addon, resulting in huge files.
It was the idea
Maybe something can download the language files for the installed addons ? (from weblate for exemple). Something based to the selected language in Kodi settings ?

Thanks
(2022-06-08, 18:15)skypichat Wrote: Maybe something can download the language files for the installed addons ? (from weblate for exemple). Something based to the selected language in Kodi settings ?

That already happens when you select a different language in the Kodi GUI. It will download the add-on for that selected language.
Downloading all available languages which you will then never use is simply bonkers.

What is your plan, should you have all languages on your Kodi setup? Would you be able to read & use, for example Mongolian, Sri Lankan or Tagalog texts?
(2022-06-08, 19:07)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-06-08, 18:15)skypichat Wrote: Maybe something can download the language files for the installed addons ? (from weblate for exemple). Something based to the selected language in Kodi settings ?

That already happens when you select a different language in the Kodi GUI. It will download the add-on for that selected language.
Downloading all available languages which you will then never use is simply bonkers.

What is your plan, should you have all languages on your Kodi setup? Would you be able to read & use, for example Mongolian, Sri Lankan or Tagalog texts?

No, only the language files (string.po) in intalled addon and language specified (For me it's french)
For exemple, after select the french language in Kodi settings, it propose to install the french package. But it's only for the Core. It can be good if the system can scan all addon installed and update all FR-fr string.po.
For exemple, after scan the system can show this for exemple:
Code:
C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\metadata.universal\resources\language\resource.language.fr_fr\string.po
. and update the file if this one is expired.
The other problem is that not every official Kodi add-on is 100% translated (although French is one of the better maintained languages), so on some occasions there will be an English fallback. For 3rd party add-ons, we have no control over any of the translations. Official add-ons that do have translations via Weblate should be updated (semi?) automatically. I'm not completely familiar with the latest developments on that.

But again, as already has been outlined, combining all add-on translations for 1 language into 1 add-on, zipped or otherwise, is currently not doable in our Kodi eco-system. It is what it is.
Ok thanks
We can close this topic

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does the language add-on is only for the Kodi Core ?0