Android 1080 instead of 4K on Mi Box 3
Hi! I try to use KODI on my Mi Box 3 media player. I have installed the latest version 19.3 Matrix and see some issues on my 4K TV set. The TV supports 4K but does not support HDR.
  1. The interface settings allows to use only 1920x1080p 60Hz, there are no other options. Ok, as I understand it is just for the interface, but still all movie covers look weird as the interface, it seems does not use any anti-aliasing. Is there any option to use anti-aliasing?
  2. When I play 4K movies it seems that the resolution is still 1920x1080 and not 4K. The TV set shows that the video signal is 4K, but it seems that KODI sends just 1080 picture and the TV upscales it itself. Why I think so? Because when while playing I try to adjust the picture (corners) KODI shows that this is 1920x1080 picture. Is there any way to:
    1. Check what real resolution KODI uses for this particular video?
    2. If it is 1920 and not 4K, what may be a reason and how to fix it?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
It seems I could start log saving. But could you please tell me how to get them as files after that from the Mi Box 3 device (Android TV). I have it connected to my TV and just a remote control.
The log uploader addon is simplest.

Details are on the wiki (as linked in the above message) - debug log (wiki) and look in the easy method option (direct link).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you for the clarification. Here is a link to the log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/axiwejifeh
I have opened KODI, started 4K video, opened video picture adjust during the playback and it showed me parameters for 1920x1080. So I am not sure that it actually shows the video in 4K, even that the TV supports 4K
BTW, I could confirm that KODI shows this 4K movie with 1920x1080 resolution. If during the playback I open the movie information with the menu it shows that the original size is 4K, but now it transformed to 1920x. Any idea why it happens? Are the provided logs enough?
(2022-06-01, 19:56)Dangelus Wrote: To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

I have provided all the logs. Is it possible to get any assistance?
Is the resolution possibly being limited by the box itself, not Kodi?  I see from the specs that the maximum output resolution depends on the video format.  If you play the same files from the box directly without using Kodi, does it output properly at 4k without issue?
(2022-06-14, 15:30)NeoCortex Wrote: Is the resolution possibly being limited by the box itself, not Kodi?  I see from the specs that the maximum output resolution depends on the video format.  If you play the same files from the box directly without using Kodi, does it output properly at 4k without issue?

Unfortunately I just don't know how to check it. I have played the same video with some internal player and with VLC player. Both play it but I just don't know how to check the resolution. The media player settings are that it uses 4K@60. The TV set shows it uses 4K, but it may just transform FullHD (1080p) into 4K itself.
You need to access the Video Debug Info window. This window details the video source resolution and the output resolution. It looks like the image below, from Kodi wiki page. From the image you can clearly see that the source is 4K (3840x1608p) but the output is downscaled to FullHD (Surfaces 1920px1080p). There is no doubt here that Kodi's output is only FullHD despite the source being for 4K. If the TV registers for 4K then obviously the TV did the upscaling.

Before you get excited, getting to this window is not easy without a keyboard and you said you are using a remote. If you have a keyboard that can be connected to the Mi-Box well and good, just press ALT+O (ALT and Zero together) and you get the window. If not then your journey is a little longer. Try this:

The easieset way to get keyboard functionality is to use your phone's keyboard (Android Phone). You will have to install a few apps first.
  • First, install Google Home App if you don't have it. Google Home allows you to control your Android TV/Google TV using your phone and your phone has a keyboard. The Mi-Box specs says it runs Android TV. Phone control including keyboard input, works on my TCL TV running Android TV 9. What is the version on your Mi-Box? The specs says Android TV 6. Not sure if this version supports the Google Home control but no harm in trying.
  • Google Home works best if you have a Google account on the TV/Mi-Box
  • Update Google Apps on your Mi-Box if they are outdated. Especially Google Play Services, Google App and Android TV remote services (or something like that, don't remember the exact name, check anything to do with remote from Google on Mi-Box Playstore)
  • Connect the phone and Mi-Box to the same Network.
  • Open Google Home App while the Mi-Box is running, preferably playing something on YouTube. It detects faster if the TV is on YouTube. Google Home App should detect your Mi-Box and any other Google Media devices on the network.
  • On the Home app, click on the Mi-Box (It may use a different name, my TCL reports as BeyondTV) and pair the Mi-Box with your Phone on the Home app. Once Paired, You get basic remote control. You can also change to D-Pad control and Keyboard. The Keyboard activates automatically when it detects text input on TV but can also be activated manually.
  • If all goes well upto this point then you can install a Keyboard app on your phone with ALT Key support, something that emulates a physical keyboard. We can easily press O on the Gboard but it doesn't seem to support ALT+O that is why you need a new keyboard App. Hacker's Keyboard with over 10M downloads and a 4.1 star rating on Playstore seems like it can get the job done. The app is free. Remember to set it as the default keyboard on your phone, at least for the time being.
  • And now, you can finally press ALT+O while the video is playing on KODI and get to the Video Debug Info window.
Disclaimer! I have not tried all these steps myself, as a result, I am not sure whether they will all work. Please report what doesn't work then maybe we can modify the steps and find a solution.
Life is short, I don't have time for squabbles. Lets be friends, lets enjoy Kodi :)
@TimeZone , thanks for the detailed instruction. But it only works with KODI. And the provided log files confirm that KODI plays it in 1080 already. The new question is to check how OTHER applications play the same video, and here, as I see, your advice can't help.
Unfortunately I haven't got any reply based on my log files provided. I could update Kodi to 19.4 build, but it still has the same issue. The video is in 4K, but Kodi plays it in 1080. I would appreciate it if anybody can tell me how to watch 4K videos with my Kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080 instead of 4K on Mi Box 30