Req AC3 transcoding without passthrough
Hi,
Looking for a solution to be able to always transcode ac3 without enabling passthrough.
Use case: To be able to playback ac3 encoded files while still retaining kodi's audio control and settings. My AVR does not behave desirably with passthrough and I would prefer Kodi to process all, even if it meant a small loss in quality.

There are several old/stale threads from users looking for DRC etc, this would solve that.

The archived feature request page in the wiki mentions the best way to get something done is to do it yourself, I'm almost certain I don't have the necessary coding skills - but I do wonder, if I were to attempt such a thing, if any of the Kodi devs see this perhaps could advise...
Reading through some of the audio engine code on github to try get an understanding, it appears before transcoding kodi checks for settings.passthrough && settings.ac3passthrough && settings.ac3transcode, etc...

Is there a chance the functionality for this already exist within the codebase, and is just limited by the settings? Or is there a LOT more going on under the hood than I realise, and enabling transcoding on an AC3 audio source would break things?

Would appreciate any advice.
disabling passthrough means kodi will decode all audio to PCM. Why would you need transcoding without passthrough?
Hi @wsnipex, thanks for responding.
I used to have it set as described. But now due to hardware changes, I need to run over HDMI ARC, which won't carry multichannel PCM.
It requires compressed multichannel, and Kodi AC3 transcoding works brilliantly for this, except for on AC3 source files of course.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 transcoding without passthrough0