Thumbnails for music albums
Hey there,

running Kodi lately on libreelec at a large TV i noticed that whenever i scan in a music album, the cover artwork that shows up is always a lowres thumbnail version that looks VERY blurry on a large TV. I have to manually select a better version from the local available cover.jpg to replace that thumbnail bevore it looks good on screen.

Can i force Kodi to use the hires graphics instead without my additional work? 

(Maybe that's just me not knowing new conventions for artwork since i last used Kodi years ago)
cheers,azido :;):
(2022-06-15, 21:55)azido Wrote: Can i force Kodi to use the hires graphics instead without my additional work? 
how many thumbs do you have in your folder? How have you named them?
Place the one you want used in the folder and name it folder.jpg
https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork/Album
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for your fast reply.

Generally, i have only two artworks in each album folder which are called cover.jpg and discart.png. I thought cover.jpg does the job.
(2022-06-15, 22:40)azido Wrote: I thought cover.jpg does the job.
Artwork settings were changed for v19.
IIRC folder.jpg is the default name for album cover and artist image

If you want to set cover.jpg as the default, you need to add that to your settings here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Music#Artwork
I guess it could not find your image, and Kodi was falling back to the lower quality embedded image in the music file.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-06-15, 23:42)Karellen Wrote: If you want to set cover.jpg as the default, you need to add that to your settings here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Music#Artwork
I guess it could not find your image, and Kodi was falling back to the lower quality embedded image in the music file.

Thanks, i'll try that. Although to me it makes no sense that it's added by default as the 2nd possible filename and would not be recognized on a fallback level (like try folder.jpg -> not found -> try cover.jpg and so on.)
(2022-06-15, 23:56)azido Wrote: Although to me it makes no sense that it's added by default as the 2nd possible filename and would not be recognized on a fallback level (like try folder.jpg -> not found -> try cover.jpg and so on.)
It's been a couple of years since these changes were implemented so maybe I am mis-remembering. I thought cover.jpg should be one of the defaults, but I only went by your comment that it did not work.
If I got it wrong, someone will correct me. My library is pretty static, haven't added a new album for over a year, so I don't use the music library a great deal.

Let me know if the settings work for you anyway.
My Signature
(2022-06-16, 01:07)Karellen Wrote: Let me know if the settings work for you anyway.

Removed all filenames from that setting you suggested except cover.jpg. Additionally added available image quality settings in advancedsettings. Covers look much crisper now Smile
cover.jpg is a default for the album thumb, but that gets used iff all songs in a folder containing cover.jpg have identical album title in tags (and I think folder.jpg if it exists will take priority).

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnails for music albums0