Can Kodi run Dolby Vision?
Even though we have a UWP app it's simply not possible to implement Dolby Vision as we don't use the relevant API required is what I've been told. To implement would require a major rewrite is also what I've been told. So it's highly likely it's no going to happen for such a tiny audience.
I agree, but i do see DV "winning" or at least dominating the HDR space over the next few years, the audience for DV will grow quickly.
My Kodi / HTPC / Gaming / Tech Channel
If I helped in someway, hit the Like button :)
By tiny audience, I meant availability of capable Windows hardware, and I don't see this changing.
(2022-11-22, 22:43)TheBuz Wrote: I agree, but i do see DV "winning" or at least dominating the HDR space over the next few years, the audience for DV will grow quickly.
I honestly don't see HDR10 ever going away. Too much legacy hardware already around. It's a minimum guaranteed for all situations, it will endure.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't want some way to translate DV content in realtime to HDR10. Something that I think VLC is somehow doing (don't know about results), according to a link I posted in the past (https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libpl...quests/207), although I am not sure whether they end up outputting HDR10 or simply SDR tonemapped.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Technically DV content should have an HDR10 fallback layer, for hardware that doesn't support DV.

I don't know if it's my media or Kodi, but I have never had DV fallback to HDR10 in Kodi.

HDR10 plus. (HDR10+) matches what DV can do with dynamic metadata and supports up to 16-bit colour depth, (although at 16-bit you would probably need a display that is brighter than the sun too see any difference)

Converting DV to HDR10+ should be easier and match what DV can do.

Although there is not a lot of HDR10+ displays, apart from Samsung who doesn't like DV.
(2022-11-25, 16:31)TheBuz Wrote: Technically DV content should have an HDR10 fallback layer, for hardware that doesn't support DV.
As far as I know that is true only on physical media (Bluray UHD). Streaming files don't necessarily offer that.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Full DV support is now in the core parts of Kodi for v21 Omega, however the only platform capable of supporting DV remains Android for now. It's unlikely Windows or Linux will ever support DV however as there's no certified hardware with a certified video path that Kodi can use.
(2023-01-09, 17:44)jjd-uk Wrote: Full DV support is now in the core parts of Kodi for v21 Omega, however the only platform capable of supporting DV remains Android for now. It's unlikely Windows or Linux will ever support DV however as there's no certified hardware with a certified video path that Kodi can use.

Is it not possible to have a passthrough the same way we do for Atmos? Just bypass windows altogether.

Or emulate running a game, as some PC games have DV support.
DV is only supported on systems that have a hardware decoder and the OS must provide a protected video path to the hardware, none of this exisits for the DirectX API which we use on Windows.
It depends on the specific version of Kodi you are using and the capabilities of your television. Kodi version 18 and later support the playback of Dolby Vision video on compatible devices. However, it's important to note that not all TVs and devices support Dolby Vision playback. Additionally, some TVs and devices may require a specific software version or plugin to enable Dolby Vision playback.
In general local files like MKV format is compatible with Kodi, but you might need to have the codecs installed on your device for smooth playback.
It's worth checking the Kodi documentation and forums, as well as your television's documentation, to see if Dolby Vision playback is supported and what specific steps you need to take to enable it.

[moderator edit: removed unnecessary spamming link to a TV shopping link]
@jackie34  your spamming link to a TV review / shopping page was unnecessary to the statement you were making. Please review the Forum Rules regarding linking to other websites.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I have a new idea for Windows 11.

Windows 11 has the subsystem for Android, you can enable ADB and sideload ANY android APK outside of the Amazon store.

If we sideload load Android Kodi onto windows 11 would that allow for DV?

I really don't want to upgrade to 11 to test it.
AFAIK Android on Windows is a VM and I don't think a VM is ever going to allow that kind of hardware control.

scott s.
(2023-01-24, 23:18)scott967 Wrote: AFAIK Android on Windows is a VM
yes it uses a virtualized kernel hyper-v bastardized thing same way it does Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) which has the same hardware limitations, somewhere along the lines of using qemu on linux just not as good
My laptop has official "Dolby Vision Extensions" installed by the manufacturer. It shows up in the Microsoft Store apps list and periodically gets updates on the microsoft store. The only app that can play DV content that too only in MP4 is Movies & TV and the new Media Player which replaced Groove Music. I tried using VLC, MPC-HC with MADVR. None of them play DV content. Can Kodi utilise that extension and play DV content as I have an official licensed software(extension) for DV on my laptop?

FYI, my laptop runs Windows 11 22H2. Kodi: Version 20.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Kodi run Dolby Vision?0