It's really time for JackD to be supported natively
Hi all,

I think this is already past its due! Seriously PulseAudio is really bad.
Kodi needs Jack, really...

Cheers
Alirez
(2022-06-23, 14:01)AlirezaTorabi Wrote: I think this is already past its due! Seriously PulseAudio is really bad.
Kodi needs Jack, really...

We're looking forward to your quality Github PRs.

Cheers.
I'm not a hardcore C++ programmer unfortunately, but maybe I have a go :-)

Cheers
According to upstream pulseaudio and even jackd is obsolete as pipewire is the replacement for everything. Did you give pipewire a try? Does it work for you?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
There used to be a command line switch to start Kodi and have it use ALSA directly. That would take pulse audio out of the picture. Pipewire reimplements pulse audio.
There is a native pipewire sink in kodi nexus. As the OP seems to use jack and the pipewire guys say they are the technical replacement for lots of other stuff, if he is happy with it as replacement or what is missing. Was beyond kodi and not really kodi centered.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Pipewire is not up to replacing JACK as yet.   For me the solution has always been to have a separate audio interface for JACK and keep Pulse audio off if it.
Okay - kodi already has a pipewire sink as major new distributions have switched to it from pulseaudio. For jack - no sink exists - we had I think 3 or 4 requrests during the last 11 years for it. Though, this 0% minority did never consider to contribute an implementation. I even had a Skype-Call / Session with one guy in 2013 to explain what is needed to get it implemented.

Inside team kodi no one is using jackd, therefore we also see no need to implement it.
JACK has rather specific conditions where it wants to be used.  Primarily in installations where pro grade audio hardware is in use.  Pulse for the most part does not work well with pro level audio devices. There are work a rounds.  Any one configuring such a setup will be able to figure it out. 

Ubuntu 20 is the first time in the history of Pulse that I've finally been able to use my audio interface directly with pulse and Kodi.  In true Linux fashion now that they finally have something working it's time to dump it and start all over again.  At least pipewire acknowledges they will likely never be able to properly replace jack and have made it so jack can still be installed and jack apps will defer to the real jackd server over pipewire,

FYI pretty sure I've never ever requested jack support in Kodi.
Well I'm using Kodi's direct ALSA sink for HDMI. I use Jack for midi/sequencer/synth and other apps like MPlayer/VLC and so on.
I find Jack very pro grade for serious low latency synth (which is what I am using to generate off the midi keyboard).

I was thinking of Pipewire as well if Kodi has a native support. That said I'm very happy with my seqencer/midi/synth on Jack plus all the reset mixed in.
Kodi main screen to ALSA on HDMI (TV) all small windows on left and right are mixed with Jack2 on analog Dev going to soundbar plus the midi keyboard (that thankfully I was not playing at the time :-))...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
It's really time for JackD to be supported natively0