Linux Kodi loads into 'switching' blank screen, on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
I have been running Kodi successfully for at least a year on a server pc (currently running Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS) which I am using as a NAS/media server in the corner of the living room, with the display going through the TV. Using the keyboard is a bit awkward (I have also been able to use VNC View to control the pc from my W10 laptop in a more convenient position; and Kore via an Android smart phone) and when I was trying to play something through Kodi on the server pc, I dropped the keyboard, which resulted in an unknown sequence of keys being pressed,

The result is that Kodi, when run, now reverts to a blank screen (which is also switching the display type) which I have only been able to get out of by using the old faithful Ctrl-Alt-Del, which enables me to log out, and then back in again. When I look at the server over VNC Viewer on the W10 laptop, the display switches between the Ubuntu desktop and Kodi.

I have uninstalled Kodi (using remove, purge and autoremove – to try and remove all settings) but when I reinstall it, it is in the same state.

Help! There are three screenshot videos:

https://vimeo.com/726142932 – running Kodi, goes into blank screenshot
https://vimeo.com/726142932 – using ctrl-alt-del to get out of blank screen (shows Kodi running ‘behind’ front screen)
https://vimeo.com/726141968 – shows Kodi running, whilst with blank screen on server pc, screen is seen switching between Kodi and Ubuntu desktop, when viewed remotely using VNC Viewer

I have changed my smart phone since I last used Kore to remotely control Kodi, and I can’t now get Kore to connect with Kodi on the server pc, so I can’t use Kore to control Kodi remotely.
Kodi crash log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/f9M6xndNWY/
X86_64

Hardware
motherboard:
Model Name: MSI MAG B460M MORTAR
CPU Support Supports 10th Gen Intel® Core? and Pentium® Gold /Celeron® processors
CPU Socket LGA 1200
Chipset Intel® B460 Chipset
Graphics Interface    2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots    Support 2-way AMD® CrossFire? Technology
Display Interface DisplayPort, HDMI - Requires Processor Graphics
Memory Support 4 DIMMs, Dual Channel DDR4-2933Mhz (Max.)
Expansion Slots 1x PCI-E 3.0 x1 slot
Storage 2x M.2 slots, 6x SATA 6Gb/s
SATA RAID RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 - Available on ports SATA1 to SATA6
USB ports 7x USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps ports (2 Type-C + 5 Type-A) + 6x USB 2.0 ports
LAN Realtek® 8125B 2.5G LAN
Audio 8-Channel(7.1) HD Audio with Audio Boost (ALC1200)

graphics card GPU:
    ? MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 710 2GD3H LP Graphics Card '2GB DDR3, 954MHz, Low Profile, Low Consumption, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, HTPC, Silent Passive Fanless Cooling System

RAM:
Corsair C16 2400Mhz (2 x 8Gb)

CPU:
Intel Core-i3 10100F

HDD:
Seagate Baracuda 5400 rpm 4Tb

SSD:
Seagate Baracuda 510M.2 MDME 250 Gb
(2022-07-01, 21:23)andrewcorser Wrote: I dropped the keyboard, which resulted in an unknown sequence of keys being pressed,

Ah, that dreaded "WTF just happened" moment... Well, a keyboard combination shouldn't require you to do full re-installs of Kodi. Most GUI settings are stored in the .. guisettings.xml file. So rename that one file and restart Kodi so it generates a new default one. That fixes most such happy accidents.

An also, we have a Ubuntu PPA which you really should use, and not Ubuntu's own outdated Debian clone. Kodi v19 Matrix runs fine on my Ubuntu 20.04 laptop here.

Next time you want to provide a kodi log file, enable debugging first, then restart Kodi, reproduce the problem(s), and then send in the new debug log (wiki).
(2022-07-02, 06:50)Klojum Wrote: Most GUI settings are stored in the .. guisettings.xml file. So rename that one file and restart Kodi so it generates a new default one. That fixes most such happy accidents.
Fantastic helpful and prompt reply!  Thank you Klojum!  (Sorry, I am such a complete Linux and Kodi newbie that I don't know where guisettings.xml is located: I did try a search using search on the gui Files app in Ubuntu but couldn't find it...)

Meur ras/Thank you (in Cornish)!
As already said, I'd first rather have you do a complete uninstall of your current Debian Kodi setup as per the link I gave you, add the Kodi PPA to your Ubuntu setup, and install the official Kodi version. Debian's Kodi is outdated and no longer supported.

The guisettings.xml file is located in the /home/<username>/.kodi/userdata folder.
I have again:

done a remove, purge, autoremove.

Then I went through adding the repository:

sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt install kodi

When I then launched Kodi, I guess the display must have been enormously enlarged, in that I saw on screen a very large, pixelated K...
...so I logged out and went to the /home/<username>/.kodi/userdata folder and moved the guisettings.xml file to the bin, and relaunched Kodi.

On launching Kodi I am still getting the same 'switching' blank screen, with the TV's source dialogue box switching between Wide and Auto, and, over VNC Viewer on my laptop, switching between Kodi (which still has everything loaded into it, films etc) and the Ubuntu desktop, about once a second. (I am guessing that I am seeing this here but not on the directly connected monitor, because VNC Viewer is not instantaneous...?)

So neither reinstalling, nor deleting guisettings.xml has solved the issue...
Klojum ... any further thoughts on this?  Is it an Ubuntu issue rather than a Kodi one, perhaps (although not sure how...)?
Well, first on a personal note: why choose a Intel Core-i3 10100F and a GT710, when the 10100 with iGPU is likely more capable graphics-wise with the UHD630 compared to a GT710 ? The separate GT710 card takes up more electrical power, and may even be loud from time to time because of its fan. I happen to have a HTPC with an Nvidia card, but it's a fanless version.

Start with a clean Kodi setup by renaming the ~/.kodi folder to something else temporarily, and then restart Kodi. I don't know where/when VNC comes in (it could disrupt stuff too), but let Kodi run on its own for starters, and see if something is off. Which Nvidia drivers are you using? Or are you using the Ubuntu default setup?

Enable debugging in Kodi, restart Kodi, and provide a new debug log (wiki) file of Kodi 19.
2022-05-28 05:53:20.447 T:139940483433344 NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = nouveau

Sorry, we don't run very good (means not at all) with this driver.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2022-07-03, 10:02)Klojum Wrote: Well, first on a personal note: why choose a Intel Core-i3 10100F and a GT710, when the 10100 with iGPU is likely more capable graphics-wise with the UHD630 compared to a GT710 ? The separate GT710 card takes up more electrical power, and may even be loud from time to time because of its fan. I happen to have a HTPC with an Nvidia card, but it's a fanless version.
OK.  Now, Klojum...you happen, with your personal remarks about the configuration of this machine, to have touched the rawest of raw nerves with me...
1. I didn't ask you about that;
2. this is a Kodi forum not a hardware forum
3, this pc was put together by my son and myself about 18 months ago.  He mostly directed it because he was a very successful IT professional
4. I don't give a toss for your opinion about his choices, because I am more than happy with them, and I WILL NOT HAVE HIM TRADUCED BY YOUR OPINION WHICH I DID NOT ASK FOR.  HE WAS GUNNED TO DEATH IN MEXICO 5 WEEKS AGO AND I WILL NOT HAVE HIS MEMORY TARNISHED BY YOUR CHEAP COMMENTS

OK.  I have got that over with.  My next reply will go back to Kodi.
seems to be working...

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/NN3Fyw5sj7/
(2022-07-04, 23:52)andrewcorser Wrote: I didn't ask you about that;
I don't give a toss for your opinion about his choices

Whatever nerves were touched... I'm gonna step aside. Someone else can step in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi loads into 'switching' blank screen, on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS0