Smart jumps
HI,
(I'm talking about AndroidTV, an I'don't know if the smarphones have the same needs)...

With the left/right arrows, I can go forward fastforward in a very intelligent way.
Moreover, in the settings list, I can choose the lenght of the step.
This way is NEAR PERFECT!

With the up/down arrows I can move my video by jumps.
Is easily undestand this function should be with a variable algorithm.
If I have a video in Youtube with 1 min lenght, my best need is to have only few jumps (3 or 4).
But if I'm seeing a very long video (ex. 7 hours), I need to have many more jumps (ex. 50 or 70) to move in scene.
If I press (and I hold) the remote control, the jump is made only one time, so I have to press 70 time (too much!!!) to advance in position.
When I hold the button after 1/4 sec should be the next jump (and holdin for an half minute go to the end of video).

What I'm asking to you is an algorithm (ex. 1min 4 jumps, 5 mins 8 jumps, 15 mins 25 jumps, 90 mins 30 jumps etc), and a setting to encrease or decrease this algorithm (jumps)-
I can't set a number, because in this way this will be a fixed step (independent by lenght).

Could you add it for me?
Thanks.
Would seem that you need to jump around a lot, which video editing software does quite well. The position bar within Kodi can be used injunction with a mouse pointer to jump to specific points quickly. I'd suggest you change your input device to a wireless mouse for ultimate satisfaction.

Moving to specific timing can also be achieved by entering the time (keyboard #) and return will transport you immediately.

e.g. 2222 (quick) return will take you to 22 minutes & 22 seconds into the video.
I understand your reasons, but, as I have written, this could be a need for AndroidTV.
In the next years, many more TVs will use this system and will be difficult for every user buy addictional pointer...

I know the goto function writing the target time, but this is another feature.
The others video player jumps, but only in stupid mode.

And I have asked to you because you are the most active community in video feature...
(2022-07-11, 12:07)Ditacim Wrote: In the next years, many more TVs will use this system
That maybe true, but looking back at Kodi which is entertaining home theater enthusiasts needs as a priority atm. Streaming services are still relegated to 3rd party add-ons; handling could be manipulated through those applications, but as needs expand, more attention towards this capability will inevitability bring improvements. Patience is the path to power.
Are you aware of the methods detailed here https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_time_seeking

Note they haven't been checked in a while since the addition of seek steps, so it might only be the big versions working. On my to do list to check exactly what is still working haven't gotten to it yet, but percentseekforwardbig/percentseekbackwardbig is probably the closest of the methods to what you are asking for.
(2022-07-11, 16:16)jjd-uk Wrote: Are you aware of the methods detailed here https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_time_seeking

Note they haven't been checked in a while since the addition of seek steps, so it might only be the big versions working. On my to do list to check exactly what is still working haven't gotten to it yet, but percentseekforwardbig/percentseekbackwardbig is probably the closest of the methods to what you are asking for.
I'm on a shield using Kodi 19.something. This seek function works for me (although MP4's suck badly for seeking). I use MKV and they work great.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Sorry if I answer late, but only yesterday I have found what I believe is the best algorithm for jumps...

Now Kodi, if the video is less than 20 mins in lenght, split the movie in 10 pieces.
If it's more than 20 minutes, the jumps are of 10 mins.

If I have a youtube clip of 30 secs every jump is about 3 seconds, and if you have a video of 21 minutes it has only two jumps...
It' simple understand this calc is not good!

If I jump 3 seconds is useless, a jump of 10 minutes in 21 are too much.
But i the video is 19 minutes the jumps are 10.
Shorter video has more jumps than longer video.

What is the best way to jump?
The best is a dynamic jump (or smart).

If the jump in based on SQUARE ROOT and MULTIPLICATION everything is correct!
The calc is square root of lenght and multiplication 2.

1 minute video could have 2 (SR of 1 is 1 *2 =2)
10 minute have 6 (SR is 3*2 = 6
100 mins are 20 (SR is 10*2 = 20

Moreover, if there is a slider in settings, with 5 step more and 5 step less, the user can choose  how many jumps insert.
The middle is 1
the values are 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2
If I multiplicate the obtained value for this factor, I can increase or decrease the number of jumps.

1 minute video could have from 1 to 4 jumps (2*0.5) (2*2)
10 minute have from 3 to 12 jumps (6*0.5) (6*2)
100 mins are from 10 to 40 (20*0.5) (20*2)

It's easy understand this methos avoid strange numbers and increase (customizable) in lenght...

I hope you will follow my suggestion in the next release.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smart jumps0