XBOX Cannot play SMB based M3U references
Music 
Howdy!

I had a real nice Kodi setup until my TV died and the replacement wouldn't accept the HDMI signal of my tiny PC. So I turned to my Xbox One X and all is well with movies, TV and generic videos. Music is another story.

I have a giant M3U which works fine on my old PC Kodi and general Windows media players. All of the music in on a Synology NAS with an SMB share. I can add the music and it all scans and plays fine. Unless it is referenced in an M3U file. That was created outside of Xbox Kodi that is. I went so far as to create a tiny M3U with the same song, once with the lines from the working-on-PC version but broken on Xbox One, and then with the working version from the Xbox One-created M3U. Here's the difference:

Original Playlist lines that don't work:
#EXTINF:0,Jefferson Starship - Jane
smb://clubNAS/music/Artists/Jefferson Starship/Freedom at Point Zero (Incomplete)/01 Jefferson Starship - Jane.mp3

Xbox One lines that do work:
#EXTINF:0,01. Jefferson Starship - Jane
smb://clubnas/music/Artists/Jefferson Starship/Freedom at Point Zero (Incomplete)/01 Jefferson Starship - Jane.mp3

It appears Xbox One requires an exact match between "scraped" name and #EXTINF line. I thought #EXTINF was optional.

I don't know why the music was scraped incorrectly, using the track number with a period, the artist and the song title as the track name rather than the MP3 embedded track name which in this case is simply "Jane". I made sure I had the same Universal Scraper turned on when adding music that I used with the original PC-based Kodi installation.

Any help greatly appreciated, I like my animated fanart and lyrics that Kodi does rather than the nothing of a bluetooth connection.

Chris
(2022-07-23, 05:19)clubsidedev Wrote: It appears Xbox One requires an exact match between "scraped" name and #EXTINF line. I thought #EXTINF was optional.

No, you can put whatever you want for #EXTINF description. It doesn't affect the file lookup.

Comparing the two playlist entries, the most likely culprit is the text case. You have clubNAS in the first, and clubnas in the second. I'm not familiar with the specifics with the Xbox platform or SMB protocol, but it could be case sensitive. I can't see any other reason why it wouldn't play.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot play SMB based M3U references0