v19 Show movie title in Latin alphabet when "Keep Original Titles" is selected
Hi all,

I've been enjoying Kodi for a couple of years now, but lately this has been bugging me.
When a movie library is set to "Keep Original Titles" and the movie's original title is in non-Latin alphabet, it will stick to that alphabet and not convert to Latin.

Let's take as an example movie Spirited Away (2001). Original title according to TMDB: 千と千尋の神隠し. Kodi can't display these symbols for me, so after scraping the movie details, it will show as: ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯. However what I would like to see as title is: Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, being the original title translated into Latin alphabet.

Any way this can be done? Or is this being worked on?

Thanks,
Piddox
Is your Kodi GUI font already set to Arial? It should contain more font sets than the default font.
(2022-07-31, 12:31)Klojum Wrote: Is your Kodi GUI font already set to Arial? It should contain more font sets than the default font.

I don't see Arial as an option for Fonts (or maybe it's already the default Font, not sure). But changing the font won't help right? Then the squares will be replaced by Japanese characters, which I can't read either. Basically the required information (original title in Latin characters) is missing on TMDB.
Short answer is that Kodi is not a translator. It cannot translate text for you.
It only displays what is scraped at the scraper site.

You either have to...
1. Edit the title manually, either using nfo files or using Context Menu>Manage>Edit title, or
2. Check TMDB and see if the title you want is available as another language, and change the scraper language to suit.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-07-31, 22:10)Karellen Wrote: Short answer is that Kodi is not a translator. It cannot translate text for you.
It only displays what is scraped at the scraper site.

You either have to...
1. Edit the title manually, either using nfo files or using Context Menu>Manage>Edit title, or
2. Check TMDB and see if the title you want is available as another language, and change the scraper language to suit.

I see. I am currently doing method 1 using the Context Menu. I have tried using NFO files, by just giving the title, original title and the TMDB ID and nothing else, but then it won't scrape all the fanart etc. Is there a way to automatically convert a TMDB link to an NFO, with all the fields filled, including fanart links etc?

Method 2 is not very useful for me I think, because I have movies from several countries, and most of them from the US. Japan is the exception.
Actually, TMDB does have the right information, so it could be scraped like this: Use the title of the country of origin. I don't believe that option exists yet, right? Maybe it's a nice addition to the scraper.
(2022-07-31, 22:44)Piddox Wrote: Actually, TMDB does have the right information, so it could be scraped like this:
Now that I have a more detailed look, they do have the correct information, but there is no way to scrape it. The alternate title in this case is just a Search string. TMDB don't have Romanji as a language on the site, so that title cannot be scraped. You will need to manually edit the titles.

(2022-07-31, 22:39)Piddox Wrote: I have tried using NFO files, by just giving the title, original title and the TMDB ID and nothing else
You want a Combination NFO file... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Combination
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-07-31, 23:01)Karellen Wrote: Now that I have a more detailed look, they do have the correct information, but there is no way to scrape it. The alternate title in this case is just a Search string. TMDB don't have Romanji as a language on the site, so that title cannot be scraped. You will need to manually edit the titles.
Ah that's a bummer. Thanks for double-checking.
(2022-07-31, 23:01)Karellen Wrote: You want a Combination NFO file... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Combination

That's pretty cool. So it scrapes the movie as normal using the link at the bottom of the file, but the tags that are in the <movie> section overrule those from the scraper, is that right?
(2022-08-01, 09:37)Piddox Wrote: So it scrapes the movie as normal using the link at the bottom of the file, but the tags that are in the <movie> section overrule those from the scraper, is that right?
Yep, that is correct.
My Signature
(2022-08-01, 10:08)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-08-01, 09:37)Piddox Wrote: So it scrapes the movie as normal using the link at the bottom of the file, but the tags that are in the <movie> section overrule those from the scraper, is that right?
Yep, that is correct.

Thank you, I will try this out!
(2022-08-01, 10:08)Karellen Wrote:
Yep, that is correct.

This solution worked beautifully! Thanks.
I still can't wrap my head around that in kodi it can't be programmed to fetch the "Original but romanized" title. If TMDB has it, which it does, it should be scrapeable.
But for now, a combined NFO works just fine  Smile
(2022-09-13, 19:41)Piddox Wrote: This solution worked beautifully! Thanks.
Great!!

(2022-09-13, 19:41)Piddox Wrote: I still can't wrap my head around that in kodi it can't be programmed to fetch the "Original but romanized" title. If TMDB has it, which it does, it should be scrapeable.
Feel free to check the API to see if there is a way to do it... https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/gett...troduction
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Show movie title in Latin alphabet when "Keep Original Titles" is selected0