Kodi is skipping DTS WAV tracks
I have this exact album. Note that it is a 20-bit DTS-CD encoding 5.1 surround sound.

I ripped it to separate WAVs with EAC and tagged with MusicBrainz Picard.

Now, when I navigate to the folder under "Music" in Kodi, after it finishes playing a track, instead of playing the immediate next track, it sometimes skips an entire track to go to the one after the one after the one it finished. This is infuriating.

tihukuzubo.kodi (paste)

Can anyone help?
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that this is on the nVidia SHIELD TV running the latest update and I am loading the WAVs directly from an NTFS HDD attacked via USB so it isn't a network issue.
What also drives me absolute insane is that in order to reproduce this, you have to listen to an entire track because Kodi doesn't seek correctly.
Would really appreciate help with this!
Am I literally the only person in the world who listens to content only available in surround on DTS CD?

I included the error from the log and everything and AFAIK nobody has even looked at this. Sad
This is still a thing.
Nobody reads this forum
It seems your log has expired. Have you tested the latest master branch of Kodi to see if the issue is fixed there?
I will try to get a new log soon.
if chasing the same issue for 14 months perhaps a newer version of kodi is in order

if a newer version of kodi does not resolve perhaps the content should be in a different container until kodi supports the one you have chosen
(2023-10-10, 18:41)izprtxqkft Wrote: if chasing the same issue for 14 months perhaps a newer version of kodi is in order

if a newer version of kodi does not resolve perhaps the content should be in a different container until kodi supports the one you have chosen
I'm getting Kodi updates from Google Play.

AFAIK there is no different container for this type of disc. The DTS stream is digitally encoded in a normal stereo audio CD, so that playing it on a regular player would just output loud static, but going through a DTS decoder will output the 5.1 surround sound. WAV is the proper container for this. There is no advantage to using FLAC for this because digital. (it's already compressed) I'm not even asking Kodi to decode the DTS stream: it should just be passing through for my AVR to decode. (or at least I think that's how it's supposed to work)
It's a bad idea. Even though a Flac decoding happens lossless in kodi, there is a absolutely no guarantee that the data that comes out is properly transported in 16 bit and packed into IEC frames ... additionally depending on Android sink (IEC vs. Android packer) it simply might use Float :-) and tries to mix it with the local sound files and additionally it would touch the volume which would kill the DTS data again.

In very short: Never ever rely on such files. Flac is NO container ... flac is a lossless audio format. Kodi has absolutely zero idea that you transport DTS, but the player has to know that in order to open the right format for outputting ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2023-10-10, 21:48)fritsch Wrote: In very short: Never ever rely on such files. Flac is NO container ... flac is a lossless audio format. Kodi has absolutely zero idea that you transport DTS, but the player has to know that in order to open the right format for outputting ...

Are you saying don't rely on FLAC or don't rely on WAV? AFAIK, WAV seems to be the only practical way to rip DTS-CD discs. If ripping DTS-CD to WAV is not the correct way, then please let me know what the correct way is and I'll get the disc back out of the closet.

(later edit) I guess another option would be to decode the DTS and then recompress those but I'd prefer Kodi just play these WAVs correctly.
WAV from kodi POV should be okay, cause - originally - we implemented a fallback PARSING of the WAV to see if it contains DTS. But this is not a generic truth for all players out there. And while I say originally: Yeah, as barely anyone uses this, it might not work anymore or was broken some time ago.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2023-10-11, 20:53)fritsch Wrote: WAV from kodi POV should be okay, cause - originally - we implemented a fallback PARSING of the WAV to see if it contains DTS. But this is not a generic truth for all players out there. And while I say originally: Yeah, as barely anyone uses this, it might not work anymore or was broken some time ago.

If Alan Parsons re-released the "On Air" 5.1 mix as a DVD or Blu-Ray then I'd definitely buy it but there are a few albums out there like this one where the surround mix is only available in the obscure DTS-CD format.
It's really too bad because this is one of the best surround albums I've heard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi is skipping DTS WAV tracks0