Question about organizing files
I have Xbox with XBMC. Currently, my movie and music libraries are organized by type of movie or music (i.e. drama, comedy, rock, classical, etc). So I have Movies source, under that I have subfolders for movie types and inside those subfolders I have DivX movies.

Now, most of the new skins have different file organization. They require files to be all together in one folder. My movie and music library is not huge but definitely big. It would be tedious task to scroll thru all movies if they were just listed alphabetically.

So my question is, how do you deal with big movie/music libraries? I can move all the movies into one folder but is there an option to view only comedy movies?

Thanks.
in library mode you can choose from genre, title, year etc.. simplest structure for movies is something like:

-movies
--Terminator
---moviefile.avi (whatever the file is. iso, avi, mkv etc)
--Rambo
---moviefile.avi (whatever the file is. iso, avi, mkv etc)

no need to complicate things with genres etc..

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Video_Library for more info, there is alot in the wiki Smile
Thanks for reply blittan.

What about music? I can go by genre for all the singles and loose tracks but I have another folder called CDs where I have all my burned CDs. If I get those sorted by genre, that would be a big mess I guess.

I guess I am picky, but I like all my Dire Straits albums in one subfolder so they are not mixed with lets say Black Sabbath.
drabina Wrote:Thanks for reply blittan.

What about music? I can go by genre for all the singles and loose tracks but I have another folder called CDs where I have all my burned CDs. If I get those sorted by genre, that would be a big mess I guess.

I guess I am picky, but I like all my Dire Straits albums in one subfolder so they are not mixed with lets say Black Sabbath.

Just make sure your tags are accurate and add the music to library and you can sort by genre, artist, album... the library can be a pretty powerful tool. With the library you aren't stuck with just a single file structure.
I have loaded new skin (MediaStream Redux) and used it over the weekend. I have all the correct tags for my music and movies but either I am stupid or there is no way to get into section like:

Movies>Sci-Fi>...

So only Sci-Fi movies are listed. I have to loop thru all movies and all I can do is sort by genre.

Am I missing something?
yes. disable library flattening.
Thanks. Will try that once I get back home.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about organizing files0