what is IMDB scraper field - top 250
Hi

what is the purpose of the IMDB scraper field - Top 250 when scraping all our movies?

I know IMDB has a top 250 list (which does change), but why is there a field to scrape this for every movie?

Since most movies would not be in the top 250, would the tag result in showing a 0 for most movies?

e.g. 
<top250>0<top250>

the list is always changing except for the top movies of all time e.g. Godfather
would there be any point scraping this tag, since e.g. movie 200 could be some new movie next year or next month etc, depending on how often the list changes.

===

is this tag is used for kodi playlist > top 250?

===

Would it be better if there was an kodi addon that can get that latest 250 list?
and what addon is this called if it exists?
(2022-08-27, 07:30)madmax2 Wrote: is this tag is used for kodi playlist > top 250?
Yes, you can create a Top 250 playlist.

I have one for my library using the following rules...

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>IMDB Top 250 Movies</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="top250" operator="greaterthan">
<value>0</value>
</rule>
<order direction="ascending">top250</order>
</smartplaylist>
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-08-27, 08:30)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-08-27, 07:30)madmax2 Wrote: is this tag is used for kodi playlist > top 250?
Yes, you can create a Top 250 playlist.

I have one for my library using the following rules...

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>IMDB Top 250 Movies</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="top250" operator="greaterthan">
<value>0</value>
</rule>
<order direction="ascending">top250</order>
</smartplaylist>
thanks for replying,

what about my other questions?

Any point scraping this tag, since the list is always changing?

Would most movies have a 0 in this tag since they are not in the top 250?

Is there an kodi addon that gets the most up to date list and shows it in the library or as a playlist?

Is there also any potential conflict when scraping the tag?
e.g. scraped last 2 years a movie X has tag 150, now just scraped a new bunch of movies, and a new movie has the tag 150?

If we created a playlist, it would have both movies in the top 250 playlist and therefore is possible have a playlist with greater than 250 movies in the list?
(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Any point scraping this tag, since the list is always changing?
That is up to you. Sure, they are always changing, but once they are on the list, they tend to stay there for many years. I update mine about once every year and I don't really care that Lord of the Rings is number 7 on the list but number 9 in my library.

(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Would most movies have a 0 in this tag since they are not in the top 250?
Yes

(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Is there an kodi addon that gets the most up to date list and shows it in the library or as a playlist?
You could use the LightIMDB addon. It will update your top250 as part of the process of updating IMDB ratings for your library. But it does not have a dedicated "update top 250 only" function.

(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Is there also any potential conflict when scraping the tag?
e.g. scraped last 2 years a movie X has tag 150, now just scraped a new bunch of movies, and a new movie has the tag 150?
Nope. No conflict at all. It is just a number and it does not have to be unique.

(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: If we created a playlist, it would have both movies in the top 250 playlist and therefore is possible have a playlist with greater than 250 movies in the list?
Sure. The Top250 does not have to be limited to 250. You can make it a thousand if you want, but you will need to manually add the numbering to the <top250></top250> tag for anything over 250.
You don't even need to use it for IMDB. You can use it for your own personal top250 , top300 or top 500 list.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-08-27, 09:27)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Any point scraping this tag, since the list is always changing?
That is up to you. Sure, they are always changing, but once they are on the list, they tend to stay there for many years. I update mine about once every year and I don't really care that Lord of the Rings is number 7 on the list but number 9 in my library.
(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Would most movies have a 0 in this tag since they are not in the top 250?
Yes
(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Is there an kodi addon that gets the most up to date list and shows it in the library or as a playlist?
You could use the LightIMDB addon. It will update your top250 as part of the process of updating IMDB ratings for your library. But it does not have a dedicated "update top 250 only" function.
(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: Is there also any potential conflict when scraping the tag?
Nope. No conflict at all. It is just a number and it does not have to be unique.
(2022-08-27, 08:53)madmax2 Wrote: If we created a playlist, it would have both movies in the top 250 playlist and therefore is possible have a playlist with greater than 250 movies in the list?
Sure. The Top250 does not have to be limited to 250. You can make it a thousand if you want, but you will need to manually add the numbering to the <top250></top250> tag for anything over 250.
You don't even need to use it for IMDB. You can use it for your own personal top250 , top300 or top 500 list.

When I said conflict, I meant if we create top 250 playlist, 
would movie X and movie Y both be in that list since they both got a number 150?

So therefore, if we got many movies with the same number duplicates in the tags,
the 250 movies list would show more than 250 movies due to these duplicate numbers?

BTW how do you quote only each question or comment one at a time that I ask and then answer it under each question?
If I click "quote" button under your comment, it shows the entire comment chain as shown above.
If there is no comment chain (ie my comments) and only just your comment, it still shows your entire comments as one big block of text, and no easy way to just take one comment/question quote at a time when posting the reply.
(2022-08-27, 10:33)madmax2 Wrote: would movie X and movie Y both be in that list since they both got a number 150?
Yes.

(2022-08-27, 10:33)madmax2 Wrote: So therefore, if we got many movies with the same number duplicates in the tags,
the 250 movies list would show more than 250 movies due to these duplicate numbers?
Yes

(2022-08-27, 10:33)madmax2 Wrote: BTW how do you quote only each question or comment one at a time that I ask and then answer it under each question?
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what is IMDB scraper field - top 2500