Remote usage of Plex on Kodi
Hello,
I have a dedicated Plex server for music. I would like to know if there is some kind of remote I could use to play media from my iPhone or iPad but have my Kodi box output the signal via HDMI. Kodi remote is useless because it only replaces a remote, I still need a display from Kodi itself. I would basically want to execute the playback on the mobile device and Kodi plays it back. I don’t want for music to stream wirelessly, quality wise worse and also no Multichannel.
Possible?
Thanks
(2022-08-29, 19:06)kosta88 Wrote: Hello,
I have a dedicated Plex server for music. I would like to know if there is some kind of remote I could use to play media from my iPhone or iPad but have my Kodi box output the signal via HDMI. Kodi remote is useless because it only replaces a remote, I still need a display from Kodi itself. I would basically want to execute the playback on the mobile device and Kodi plays it back. I don’t want for music to stream wirelessly, quality wise worse and also no Multichannel.
Possible?
Thanks

This can be handled via a DLNA play to function where where you can, from your phone,  use a play to function to the Plex server to send music to Kodi.   I can't speak for the Plex web interface or phone application but Mezzmo has this capability both from its web interface and Android phone application.   I use it all the time for playing music on my Mezzmo setup.   I sit out on my back deck and send music to my AV receiver which has a zone for the speakers on my deck.  I also have a whole home audio system with Kodi (an old ancient headless Raspberry Pi 2 running LibreElec v8.0.1) running on a Raspberry Pi feeding an amplifier that runs the speakers inside the house.  I do the same thing and push music from Mezzmo to the Koodi instance via uPNP.  I just have separate targets depending upon whether I want to play music inside or out.  It works great.   I would hope Plex has some similar capabilities but I found this Kodi addon, which makes me think that maybe it doesn't.

*** Update ***

I added a Wiki page so folks can see how the Play-To functionality works with Mezzmo via the web interface.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Thanks for posing the original question.  After thinking about this more, I am now able to solve a nagging problem I've had for a long time.  The nagging problem is that with my new Yamaha RX-A3080 AV receiver when I use a DLNA Play-To for a music file, the receiver plays the music to all zones vs. just AV zone 2 which is for my deck speakers.  It worked properly with my old Yamaha receiver but has never worked properly with the new one.   I've worked with Yamaha and they have never been able able to resolve the issue. 

What I have done now is add another Raspberry Pi 3B+ running LibreElec and connecting to another HDMI port on the AV receiver and mapped that HDMI port to the zone 2 deck speakers (vs. sending the Play-To command directly to the receiver).   I gave that instance of Kodi the name of deckaudio.  Now when I send a Play-To command to deckaudio it plays through the HDMI port and just to zone 2.  So I have 2 Kodi instances now named homeaudio and deckaudio and depending upon which I send a Play-To command to determines where the music from my Mezzmo server goes.

Thanks for the question.  It got the brain cells going.     

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote usage of Plex on Kodi0