Win Building a new pc. Need help on spec.
Hi all wanting to upgrade my sitting room pc to play 4K and hdr Dolby vision and hd audio and vc1. The parts I have been looking at are

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G and ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS motherboard as this has hdmi 2.1 output.

Would this be a good start or would different hardware be better as it will be running windows 11 as well.

Thanks for any advice or help on this.
Not sure how many, if any, non-ARM platforms support Dolby Vision (and beware there are lots of different flavours of DV - UHD Blu-rays use a very different route to deliver DV to a display than OTT DRM services like Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+ etc. do. Few platforms capable of running Kodi fully support the DV solution used by UHD Blu-rays in full quality for example).
just want to upgrade my system as its very old now.
(2022-09-06, 22:48)meridius Wrote: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G and ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS motherboard as this has hdmi 2.1 output.

Would this be a good start or would different hardware be better as it will be running windows 11 as well.
Yeah. 4K will work, as will passthru audio and HDR... plus you won't have the feeble performance of an ARM platform.
(2022-09-08, 21:11)JamesX Wrote:
(2022-09-06, 22:48)meridius Wrote: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G and ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS motherboard as this has hdmi 2.1 output.

Yeah. 4K will work, as will passthru audio and HDR... plus you won't have the feeble performance of an ARM platform.

Thanks is that the best system to go for or a intel based is there any problems I need to watch out for
Anyone. Need to start buying some upgrades. Thanks. Is amd system still the way to go.
(2022-09-11, 10:12)meridius Wrote: Anyone. Need to start buying some upgrades. Thanks. Is amd system still the way to go.
I wouldn't count on Intel gfx for Kodi. There's some working but it is very hit and miss. Maybe take a look on the Intel build thread and use what people say works (and pray it stays that way into the foreseeable future)? 

I've been bitten by Intel NUC woes before so I wouldn't recommend it.

Apart from AMD, you could use a Nvidia gfx card... but I guess it wouldn't make much sense cost wise.
So it sounds like amd is the way to go with built in glue in the cpu

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a new pc. Need help on spec.0