[LINUX] GPU Assisted Video Decoding in XBMC for Linux?
I'm a noob. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Curious if you guys have gpu acceleration implemented on any builds of XBMC? Linux or windows.

I know Media Portal has it. I just tried it out and I'm really impressed with the GPU implementation. It's f-ing amazing, especially with HD content and on the fly deinterlacing via ATI's drivers. I don't think i can go back to vanilla XBMC til they implement the GPU. Why have the video card there if you're not going to use it?
Sorry not yet, if you look in the linux development forums you'll see Rudd is working on it but we have no specific ETA yet, GPU acceleration isn't easy especially cross-platform, which isn't a concern mediaportal has to worry about.
plus they dont have to worry about implementing it either, they just pass everything on to the os to handle....
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_-_GPU_A...o_Decoding
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33802
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Hardware_Acc...o_Decoding

You have to remember that most GPU Accelerated Video Decoding methods are platform-dependent on both the API and the manufacturers device driver (like for example DxVA which is only available in Microsoft Windows XP/Vista and requires that the GPU hardware manufacturer provide a graphics device driver which specifically support the DxVA API).

Currently there is only one cross-platform API standard available, that is called VA API (Video Acceleration API) and that is still in such early development that no manufacturer provide graphics device drivers which support it yet. The only other GPU Video Acceleration API available for Linux is XvMC and that only supports MPEG-2 video decoding.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Been a long time since I've programmed using it but does OpenGL 2.0 or even 3.0 GLSL (OpenGL Shader Language) support the sort of functionality needed for video decoding?
This might not be an option across all platforms but may be worth looking at.

Alternatively OpenCL may be an option as support is being suggested for most of the Windows and OSX (10.6 at least). It would prob be more work and less efficent.

BRETT
It's not out yet in binary form, but Open CL is a rapidly evolving standard for cross-platform GPU acceleration - not just video decode but scene analysis, etc. AMD has promised an SDK, and that should open up real possibilities.

Of course, there's still a debate as to whether Open CL is the best way...although many people seem to equally like discussing whether I'm an a** for suggesting Open CL without paying homage.

Perhaps if I was a bit more apologetic about how good Open CL is...but the reality is that it makes obsolete a lot of refined CPU only code that's been developed by XBMC developers.
Why are you digging up every possible old thread about this? Stop already. Just stick to one please.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
firewuff Wrote:Been a long time since I've programmed using it but does OpenGL 2.0 or even 3.0 GLSL (OpenGL Shader Language) support the sort of functionality needed for video decoding?
This might not be an option across all platforms but may be worth looking at.

Alternatively OpenCL may be an option as support is being suggested for most of the Windows and OSX (10.6 at least). It would prob be more work and less efficent.

BRETT

I would argue the opposite. Given the wide support for Open CL, it's likely that code will be refined very quickly, thus paying big dividends for efficiency. Also, Open CL is compatible with Open GL, so it's very friendly for XBMC's rendering.

It's important to note that Open CL's capability does not end with video decode...things like media scraping with scene analysis and personal video/photo facial recognition sorting will be very real.

DXVA and VDPAU are one trick and closed source/beta ponies. Why do substantial rewrites for marginal gain?

There's more on this thread
tslayer Wrote:Why are you digging up every possible old thread about this?

Because I believe in the democratic principle of 'a collision of ideas', with the best ones winning out.

It's an old thread...so why does it bother anyone if I give a tossed aside idea some attention? Is it not relevant to discuss Open CL within the larger question of GPU acceleration?

This thread is titled 'GPU Assisted Video Decoding in XBMC for Linux'. Open GL is one alternative for Linux. If you don't like this contribution, please rename thread to 'GPU Assisted Video Decoding in XBMC for Linux (other than Open CL'

Jeez, this Open CL stuff really has people riled up.
Open CL does not have people riled up. You do. You need to take it down a notch. Bringing up old posts just to link to your post is not needed.

Just keep the discussion in one thread.

tslayer Wrote:Just keep the discussion in one thread.
Is that a rule of the forums? One can only discuss a generic topic with generic responses?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but why can't you just admit that you over-reacted? Open CL is certainly relevant to a discussion of GPU decoding for Linux XBMC.

I'm not going to try appease anyone with the hope of getting a friendly pat on the head from the old timers that are afraid of a little change from the CPU only way of coding. Open CL is either good or it isn't. Better for XBMC than DXVA/VDPAU...or not. That's all I want to discuss.
Overreacted? Do you want to see me overreact? I have been nothing but polite. I'm just asking you to keep the discussion to one thread. No need to dig up all the old threads.

I really do think you are trying to be antagonistic. You are challenging everything somebody says. I am not saying to stop discussing Open CL. I think it is a good discussion. I am just saying to stick to one thread.

It is not a forum rule, but more of a common courtesy to not clog the forums with the same discussion spanning over different threads. If you want to discuss Open CL, stick to your thread. Isn't that enough? Much easier to refer to a single thread than numerous ones.

So, you need to relax and not think that everybody is out to get you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] GPU Assisted Video Decoding in XBMC for Linux?0