Porting Official Kodi Remote (IOS) to Android
Hi,

Can the developer/s of Official Kodi Remote (IOS) port this to Android?

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/official-k...d520480364

I have used this Official Kodi Remote (IOS) and Kore, 
and sadly the Official Kodi Remote (IOS) is more feature rich (e.g. custom commands)
and UI design is also much better than Kore UI (e.g. the buttons are larger and easier to press on IOS remote)
Hi,

I am sorry, but we can not really do that, even if I agree this would be great from a consistency point of view. As far as I see there is a new Kore release with UI rework coming up (Kore 3.0). Possibly you will find some of your concerns resolved.
(2022-10-01, 11:11)madmax2 Wrote: Can the developer/s of Official Kodi Remote (IOS) port this to Android?

Apparently there is now a Kore 3.0 version in the making, perhaps you can compare/comment on that one?
(2022-10-01, 13:42)Buschel Wrote: Hi,

I am sorry, but we can not really do that, even if I agree this would be great from a consistency point of view. As far as I see there is a new Kore release with UI rework coming up (Kore 3.0). Possibly you will find some of your concerns resolved.
Not just consistency point of view
but if you have used both remote, you can clearly IOS is significantly more superior than the Kore.
I believe it has been around a lot longer and has matured into a really well design remote (with custom commands, excellent UI, large buttons). 

Why was the decision to create a new Kore remote instead of just porting the great IOS remote to android?

Why can't it be ported to android?
is it lack of tech knowledge or a lack of will?
Why need to create some new remote from scratch (that is inferior) when a superior IOS remote already exists, which can port over to Android.

If Kore has custom commands feature and better UI design, plus a more indepth and feature rich menu system (left swipe etc), then it would be as bad to use.
But sadly whenever I used Kore, it just feels like I am running DOS instead of a modern OS (no custom commands, UI is not good, has less features)
and the buttons are harder to press.

As an Android user I feel like we are yet getting the short end of the stick unlike the IOS user which has a superior official kodi remote.
(2022-10-01, 13:54)Klojum Wrote: Apparently there is now a Kore 3.0 version in the making, perhaps you can compare/comment on that one?

Comparison of Kore and IOS remote.

IOS remote

-All the buttons you need to use are all there (like a real life remote control)
-Buttons are large (includes the black area surrounding the white icons) so you don't need to press exactly on the white icons 
-Right swipe for you own custom commands.
-Volume slider always there, for easier adjustment.
-Large buttons = UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, does not require to press exactly on the tiny triangles on a phone screen.
-LEFT swipe for a nicely design layout menu items.

============

Kore remote
-Lots of missing buttons on this page compared to the IOS remote, quite barebones remote
-no custom commands
-buttons are small, need to press on the white icons which are small on a phone, so your finger needs to hit exactly on the white icon rather than near the white icon 
  So on Kore, you need to press small icons (which needs more accuracy) while on IOS remote, you are actually pressing buttons (like a real remote)
-UI is very basic looking and boring.

===
Kore 3.0.0 beta

Just tested Kore 3.0.0 beta 1 and the UI has improve a bit,
but it still 
-looks very boring/basic looking
-​​​​still has no custom commands.
-menu button still missing menu items in comparison to the IOS remote
-buttons are still small on a phone and still requires pressing the icons rather than large buttons (only exception is the arrow keys, though it is still small compared the IOS remote.
-lots of buttons trying to cram all into that box on top
-volume slider is small and cramp so hard to use (and there is no fine adjustment on each side of volume slider with (volume UP/DOWN) buttons, so need to resort to using that small slider.
-there's lots empty space in the middle that could have the buttons in that top box moved to the middle empty space section.
Most people's thumbs can reach somewhere around 2/3 of the screen from the bottom (when held with one hand). So putting a box lots of (small) buttons  at the top and leaving the middle empty space is bad UI design.

-large "B" character in green box to represent the first letter of the movie/filename name, is useless, pointless and takes up a lot of valuable space in that box on top that is already cramp.
-left swipe page is pointless, essentially it is the same thing as middle page but has even more basic design (ie no arrow keys, no volume sliders and a lot of other button are not there etc.).
Most people staying on the middle page with the ARROW keys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Porting Official Kodi Remote (IOS) to Android0